Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   put dhlaw's thread back up!!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/111607-put-dhlaws-thread-back-up.html)

dhlaw 09-03-2005 06:21 AM

Re: put dhlaw's thread back up!!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Bravous the dog......

dhlaw 09-03-2005 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by fatdaddy
Yeah, read it last night and talked about it today. BUT it didn't seem 100% right to me as really coming from him. Why was it canned? :chick:

Why would int not seem right coming from me??? You think I am some bleeding heart lib because I am an attorney.... well those assumptions are no more valid than assuming all blacks are criminals. Come opn guys, having different political views doesnt mean that I think that some of the actions of the NO residents are appropriate.

If this thread even begins to turn into a racist rant I will ditch my posts. Steve doesnt want us or his forum to appear like a bunch of biggots.

jayboat 09-03-2005 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Payton
Are you sure it was the truth? It seemed to me that it was writen by the same guy that started the "Charlie came to my house" thread last summer. I may be wrong about this,but Dhlaw did say it wasn't about him.
Then look where it ended up. A lot the comments sounded raceist to me.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...hlight=looting

It 'seems' you are mistaken. :mad:

For starters, turn off your phones, your power and your water, put the food from your refrigerator in coolers and take the screens off your windows. Pretend ALL the stores and gas stations are closed and your place of business has disappeared, then go sh it behind the bushes in your yard for three or four days and come back and tell us how you feel. :mad:

spitfire1 09-03-2005 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by dhlaw
Why would int not seem right coming from me??? You think I am some bleeding heart lib because I am an attorney.... well those assumptions are no more valid than assuming all blacks are criminals. Come opn guys, having different political views doesnt mean that I think that some of the actions of the NO residents are appropriate.

If this thread even begins to turn into a racist rant I will ditch my posts. Steve doesnt want us or his forum to appear like a bunch of biggots.

You might want to ditch the avatar then.....just a thought....

Payton 09-03-2005 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by jayboat
It 'seems' you are mistaken. :mad:

For starters, turn off your phones, your power and your water, put the food from your refrigerator in coolers and take the screens off your windows. Then go sh it behind the bushes in your yard for three or four days and come back and tell us how you feel. :mad:

What do you mean by all that? Where did I say that going thru a huricane isn't difficult? My sister is a single mother and lives south of you. I know what she has gone thru.

All I was saying that the writig styles are very similar. I guess it's a coinsidence. :rolleyes:

bouyhunter 09-03-2005 06:54 AM

Dhlaw - sorry, I understand you are being serious about this - but the avatar is killing the importance of your message.

dhlaw 09-03-2005 07:00 AM

I guess being a Howard Stern fan denegrates the message....... OK I will change it.

jayboat 09-03-2005 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Payton
What do you mean by all that? Where did I say that going thru a huricane isn't difficult? My sister is a single mother and lives south of you. I know what she has gone thru.

All I was saying that the writig styles are very similar. I guess it's a coinsidence. :rolleyes:

Payton, I apologize-- I guess I misunderstood your post and overreacted. Watching the events of this past week has brought back a lot of bad memories and to say I've been out of sorts would be an understatement.

As far as this thread goes, I would only add that it really is impossible to imagine what it is like to go thru something like this. Nothing is normal anymore and even sane people start doing crazy things. People who are predisposed to lawlessness use the circumstances to bring their actions out into the open.

packinair 09-03-2005 08:38 AM

I think that this guy isn't the only one feeling this way.. here is a first hand story I read from the corvette forum

Well last night I was watching the 6pm news when they announced the 17th street canal pumps failed as well as another break in the levee. My house is right off St. Charles Ave. and up to 6pm yesterday is was the only part of the city that was dry. Since the pumps failed and the new break St. Charles Ave. would be under 9ft of water in the next 12-15hrs. My brother and I felt if we wanted to save anything we had to leave NOW. We loaded up flashlights, rope, our medical ID's, both our .45 Glocks, 2 shotguns and rode out. En-route we listened to the radio which broad casted all the news about the looters and what not, in hindsight it was a mistake. My mother didn't want us to go by dad who is a Vietnam vet told to be safe and "shoot to kill" if it ever comes to that.

One the way we had to pass 5-6 checkpoints to allow entry into the city. We stated we were medical personnel who were activated, showed our ID and off we went. On the radio reports were coming in about the officer who was shot in the head, the 2 gunman who opened fired on the NOPD station, and how looters were carjacking cars to get out of the city. This started making my brother nervous and giving seconds thoughts.

Anyway we get to the city and it looks like a freaking war zone. The best visual I can give is the movie "Blackhawk Down" when all the Somalians are rushing the city. They are people EVERYWHERE, they are pissed off, and all have weapons, 2X4's, Axes, and guns. If this wasn't bad enough we are 2 white boys in a truck in a sea several hundred armed pissed off blacks. There wasn't a white person to be found. I couldn't get over the little 8-10yr old kids with weapons, I ever saw one carry a claw hammer!

These people were absolutely nuts rammed trucks(stolen I'm sure) in to jewelry stores stealing items, they were tearing apart Wal-Mart carrying out TV's, Playstations, DVD players, etc. One lady was wheeling out an entire rack of merchandise, not sure what it was but sure wasn't clothes for food. They were all laughing and carrying on like it's freaking Christmas.

We got stuck in traffic when we see the group of guys walking down the street w/ AK-47's, at that point the "pucker factor" kicked in, a couple Glocks and shotguns were no match for that. We haul azz trying to get to Uptown when we see these people chopping down the front door w/ an axe of this $4-5 million dollar mansion on ST. Charles Ave. I was just in total awe because it was so surreal. Making matters worse it's 11pm at night there is no electricity and you really can see anything or anyone until they are right up on you.

Our plan was to be in and out in 30min, this included putting his Harley on the trailer. It would have taken me 5-10min tops to get my stuff, all I wanted was my pictures from college, my clothes/shoes, and my computer tower. Well he got scared saying we are going to get jumped while putting the bike on the trailer. Keep in mind this is the only area in the city that is dry. So just like rats who move to higher ground these people were doing the same. Word must have gotten out that Uptown was dry so there started to be a large influx of people.

Needless to say he wanted to go home rather than take our chances. While it was the smart thing to do I was beyond infuriated w/ him because we made it this far. He just kept saying our lives aren't worth it. So we turned around, our next challenge was getting out of the city while not getting jacked. Reports came out that people were jumping in the back of truck holding the drivers at gunpoint. Traffic started to slow so I just nailed it got out as fast as I could.

Even though he was the voice of reason I'm still pissed. All I have is my life and the clothes on my back. I lost my house(which is now 9ft underwater) ALL my clothes, TV, computer, furniture, and photo albums and videos from childhood and college. What makes this worse is my brother owned the house and I was a tenant and I didn't have renters insurance, hindsight is 20/20.

I also hope everyone of the F*(king looters get Tetanus, E-Coli and F*(KING drown. I'm serious I really hope the all die for what they were doing to the city, killing people, and destroying homes. Never in my life have I ever seen people act live savages, it was truly sicking.

LIOPA 09-03-2005 10:16 AM

Yes ...... Bring back the thread........Lots of posts.....lots of varied observations about the whole mess......It was the most active thread yesterday. I thought they moved it to the BILGE section which I would understand but no they just POOFED it. :(