career in high performace marine engines and rigging >

career in high performace marine engines and rigging

Notices

career in high performace marine engines and rigging

Old 09-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default career in high performace marine engines and rigging

hey how's it goin guys? Im an 18yr old from NY and its now time to start deciding what i want to do with my life. My passion is anything that has to do with a motor, whether it be a quad,jetski,snowmobiles,boats, and customizing cars/trucks. My dream is to get into a motorsports business and hopefully open my own shop one day. Im thinking about high performance engine building/rebuilding and rigging(electronics,audio systems,etc). Im guessing i should work for someone for awhile and get all the experience i can get. I am also thinking about taking a high performance engine building class at my local tech school just to get started. Is there a future in something like this? Anyone have any opinions or recommendations? Thanks for any help

p.s. i would like to have all the toys that you guys have one day!!!!

mike
Old 09-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned

Default Re: career in high performace marine engines and rigging

I'd find a reputable rigger, try to go to work for him, keep your eyes open and your mouth shut. I think there aren't that many good riggers out there, but tons of people who build motors.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:11 PM
Registered

Spend lots of time here looking and listening in the tech sections. You will learn a lot about the different boats and their levels of quality. When you find what you like, follow the trail to the source, work hard and pay attention. Also, I can`t overemphesize the importance of a good work ethic. It`s something that is hard to find in a person these days and will give you a leg up on the competition. I hope that this does`nt apply here but a high score on your drug test is a bad thing.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One real important thing to think about too is that you have to specialize in something to be the best at it. You stated that you enjoy anything with an engine, that's fine for a hobby but when it comes to work you can't be god enough at everything to charge people for it. If you do decide to find something in the marine industry pick something and saty with it, you can rig or build engines or do stereos, there are a few exceptions but generally the best of the best in any given part of the industry does what he is best at and only what he is best at. I worked for several years as a marine tech in Southern California, The shop I worked for was and still is the best place you can take your boat in souther california IF it is a sterndrive and the engine is fairly stock. We didn't touch outboard, we didn't touch straight inboards, we didn't touch Hi performance stuff. It was enough to keep up with the changes in technology in one specialty area, there is no way we could have ben neerly as thourogh in our work if we were willing to work on anything that came through the door. Good luck in your future endoevors in the marine industry, it's a fun buisness.(sometimes)
Old 09-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
One real important thing to think about too is that you have to specialize in something to be the best at it. You stated that you enjoy anything with an engine, that's fine for a hobby but when it comes to work you can't be god enough at everything to charge people for it. If you do decide to find something in the marine industry pick something and saty with it, you can rig or build engines or do stereos, there are a few exceptions but generally the best of the best in any given part of the industry does what he is best at and only what he is best at. I worked for several years as a marine tech in Southern California, The shop I worked for was and still is the best place you can take your boat in souther california IF it is a sterndrive and the engine is fairly stock. We didn't touch outboard, we didn't touch straight inboards, we didn't touch Hi performance stuff. It was enough to keep up with the changes in technology in one specialty area, there is no way we could have ben neerly as thourogh in our work if we were willing to work on anything that came through the door. Good luck in your future endoevors in the marine industry, it's a fun buisness.(sometimes)

Good words.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:00 AM
Registered

pick your passion either be an engine builder or a custom rigger dont pass up getting certified (mercury) it will open many doors for you and it will be your stepping stone to the high performance boating world attend a few races or poker runs you can learn there as well.............good luck
Old 09-05-2005, 06:29 AM
Banned

I swear if I were your age, I learn to do upholstery, and open a marine upholstery shop. Big demand, big money, and there aren't that many places that will do it.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
I swear if I were your age, I learn to do upholstery, and open a marine upholstery shop. Big demand, big money, and there aren't that many places that will do it.
What about working at Mcdonalds like you do?