Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   illinois no longer tax free (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/112415-illinois-no-longer-tax-free.html)

The Menace 09-15-2005 01:12 PM

Re: illinois no longer tax free

Illinois was or still could be tax free for a person to person sale for a documented boat.

Today i do not know but is was several years ago. I know. i did it.

buck183 09-15-2005 08:21 PM

Any used boat purchased in the state of Arkansas has no sales tax on it. My last boat came out of Oklahoma. My cost to tag it was right around $45 or so....this included trailer and the term was 3 yrs. :D

Are fuel prices are cheaper too. But then again, so are our sisters. :eek:

Buck

yzbert 09-15-2005 08:48 PM

just read indiana watercraft registration, looks like that may be the one. heck i even boat on water that is connected to indiana.

Mentalpause 09-15-2005 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Payton
Ill. republicans haven't been doin to well lately either. Goerge's trial starts when, next week. I would say through them all out. But then, I'm from Indiana, we've always had that tax. get it Coast Guard Documented. Then you save sales tax in every state. Cost me a couple hundred to get it documented and renew every year for free.

What Illinois republicans? Remember, we have Chicago :eek:

Payton 09-15-2005 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Remember, we have Chicago :eek:

Lucky you. :evilb: :D

razor1115 09-16-2005 09:32 AM

Great :mad: Just when I thought I was getting ahead enough to look at moving into a really nice boat. Does this still hold for private party-to-private party sales? The tax alone could add thousands of dollars to a price tag. This is absolutely absurd. We are already taxed on everything else. Isn't it enough they ding you for 30+% off the top of your paycheck. Then have to tax you on everything else as well?!?!?!?!?! Just getting tired of starting to get ahead, then some jackass pulls the rug out from underneath everyone to fund HIS pet projects...

Zack

t500hps 09-16-2005 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by razor1115
Great :mad: Just when I thought I was getting ahead enough to look at moving into a really nice boat. Does this still hold for private party-to-private party sales? The tax alone could add thousands of dollars to a price tag. This is absolutely absurd. We are already taxed on everything else. Isn't it enough they ding you for 30+% off the top of your paycheck. Then have to tax you on everything else as well?!?!?!?!?! Just getting tired of starting to get ahead, then some jackass pulls the rug out from underneath everyone to fund HIS pet projects...

Zack

Sales tax is just one tax in VA. Here we get assessed an annual tax based on the current value of your cars/ trucks/ boats that we bought years ago.
A $50K boat bought 5 years ago can still carry a $1,000.00 "personal property" tax that is due every year. Eliminating these are what make the DEL corp so attractive in my situation.

PWRQWST 09-16-2005 05:09 PM

I love the gov he is helping out everyone north of I-80 as long as you know him or his buddies :D He just needs to remember that some of the state is south of I-80 and we do vote. Unfortunatly we just dont have enough votes to counter Chi town. :mad: Sorry Chicago Boaters not going after you. Yes you have to pay tax even if you document your boat in this state, at least that is what I was told back in 2000. Oh ya dont forget to tell Blowme***** that the Govs house is still in Springfield not Chicago :eek:

BEAST1 09-16-2005 05:31 PM

All boats used, new, brokered, privat party sale will be taxed in Illinois. If your an Illinois resident you will pay no mater what. If your an out of state buyer and you come to Illinois and take the boat home with you you will pay Illinois Tax. No way around that. NOw when you get back home you show them the Illinois tax has been paid for and you will not be double taxed by your atate. Oh, by the way they will not give you a credit either. Now if your an out of state buyer and have it transported by a transportation company (they have all the proper documentation to deliver accross the country) Then NO you will not have to pay Illinois TAX.

buck183 09-16-2005 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by BEAST1
All boats used, new, brokered, privat party sale will be taxed in Illinois. If your an Illinois resident you will pay no mater what. If your an out of state buyer and you come to Illinois and take the boat home with you you will pay Illinois Tax. No way around that. NOw when you get back home you show them the Illinois tax has been paid for and you will not be double taxed by your atate. Oh, by the way they will not give you a credit either. Now if your an out of state buyer and have it transported by a transportation company (they have all the proper documentation to deliver accross the country) Then NO you will not have to pay Illinois TAX.

I don't guess I'll be buying my next boat from the state of Illinois then. I'm not going to have a state I don't live in tell me what taxes I will and won't pay.

Buck