Notices

Documenting a boat

Old 09-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: Documenting a boat

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
your kidding right? I just spent some major coin on taxes.
No
Old 09-15-2005, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in KS and leave the boat at LOTO. Had it CG Registered when I purchased it. I had to prove that I paid sales taxes first time I registered the boat. CG Documented boats still have to have MO registration tags that are good for 3 years. Also pay MO property tax every year. The property tax formula is based on NADA and the mill levy of county of where boat is located. My 1986 Fountain costs about $450 per year in property tax. Most of it goes to schools.

After I did all of that, I wondered why I had it CG registered. Doesn't seem to have any real advantages when all is said and done.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mpally
If you document a boat you do not pay sales tax. It is one of the major advantages.
We still pay the tax......Ohio
Old 09-15-2005, 04:37 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/watercraft/#checklist
Old 09-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Registered

If you already have the boat registered you will not need to do it again. I was pulled over 5 times with my running letter, no reg because the sec of state would not do it until the cert from the CG came back. It was a real hassle and I was still pulled over with the reg and no #s. I do not think it is worth it, it is just one more cause to pull you over and search. I did it because it was already a doc boat, I did save on sales tax but the wait and hassle was about even to the savings. The CG is so backed up with a new computer system that it took 6 months, then I wrote a despiration letter and it was there in one week. I used a service but is was just a paper pusher and did nothing to speed it up so I would do it on my own next. I had a 32 Active Thunder.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I boughtthe boat from an private party. I have a bill of sale with an appropriate amount for a sale price on it. Do I pay sales tax if I document in KS? I know about the "In Leiu" tax in MO.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mpally
If you document a boat you do not pay sales tax. It is one of the major advantages.

as has been said many, many times...WRONG!

You will pay tax (however it's figured, straight %, in lieu of, property, or whatever) in the state who's reg. sticker you want to display on your hull to avoid getting hassled!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Registered

So now I am really confused. So do you pay sales tax or not? I have heard from many people that you do not pay sales tax of any kind, all you pay is the doc fee. Is each state different? If so, what are the laws in MO?
Old 09-16-2005, 06:03 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes each state is different.
In Indiana we don't pay sales tax on a CG Documented boat. We do pay a regestration price every year, just like a titled boat does. It is basicly a property tax.
I think the link to MO motor vehicles div will answer your questions.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

bottom line is your gonna pay for a reg sticker...more or less, depending on in what state you can legitimately register the boat. You need to please the water cops with a sticker that makes sense for where you boat the most, where they see you regularly.

Or risk getting stopped and asked about it, maybe when you need it the least...if you get my meaning.

There is no free lunch.

Quick Reply: Documenting a boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.