Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   You clean your canopies with??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/112721-you-clean-your-canopies.html)

Anarchy Powerboats 09-19-2005 05:18 PM

You clean your canopies with???

Having a tough time with this one.

1stfntn 09-19-2005 05:26 PM

Re: You clean your canopies with???

Plexus (Sp?). Originally designed for cleaning and protecting airplane canopies. It's an aerosol spray can (black and blue w/ white top). Even makes small scratches diminish. I ordered online from Quadratec (use it on my Jeep soft top too), but have seen at some auto parts stores as well.

Downtown42 09-19-2005 05:28 PM

Do not use paper towels. Always a soft cloth with whatever spray you have.

Anarchy Powerboats 09-19-2005 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Do not use paper towels. Always a soft cloth with whatever spray you have.

Yeah I knew that one also, I checked the manufacturers site and they say mild soat and water but do not wipe dry. OK, how the hell do you keep it from spotting if you dont wipe it dry? And Kachina made their canopies to where half of the underside isn't even accessable so i will probably wind up putting threaded sleeves so I can run allen caps on em to remove and clean about once a month during season. I tell you what, a 34 is twice the work of a 30 to keep clean, no joke.

1stfntn 09-19-2005 06:19 PM

Try going from a 27' to a 38'. Seems to take forever to clean the bow, and I don't even want to talk about waxing.

I wash the windshield with mild soap, LOTS of water and a clean soft sponge. Then rinse and dry about 95% w/ an Absorber. Then spary with Plexus and polish with a clean cloth. Works great.

McGary911 09-19-2005 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING
Yeah I knew that one also, I checked the manufacturers site and they say mild soat and water but do not wipe dry. OK, how the hell do you keep it from spotting if you dont wipe it dry? .......

You can try a squeege, but you need one that's very flexible to follow the contour of the canopy. One like this:
Squeege

That one is made for paint, so I'd bet its fine for your canopy.

Anarchy Powerboats 09-19-2005 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1stfntn
Try going from a 27' to a 38'. Seems to take forever to clean the bow, and I don't even want to talk about waxing.

I wash the windshield with mild soap, LOTS of water and a clean soft sponge. Then rinse and dry about 95% w/ an Absorber. Then spary with Plexus and polish with a clean cloth. Works great.

Three Days Only ( another member on here) told me before I even took delivery that when I came out of the salt to douche the hell out of the canopies and no rubbing because of the salt accumulation. That part is fine and the sponge idea sounds great. I'll give it a whirl.

Outdrive1 09-19-2005 07:53 PM

Cut and paste this link Ken, this is what I use on my windshield.
www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Boat/RV%20Care>Clear%20Plastic%20Care&sectionID=58101

Anarchy Powerboats 09-19-2005 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
Cut and paste this link Ken, this is what I use on my windshield.
www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Boat/RV%20Care>Clear%20Plastic%20Care&sectionID=58101

Ill see if they have it at West Marine, I'm heading out in a couple on min's, thanks man.

Outdrive1 09-19-2005 08:15 PM

If not my detailer has it, I'll ask him where he buys the stuff from. I sub him out for work every now and then.