Looking to get 1st boat, need advice on 38'

Notices

Looking to get 1st boat, need advice on 38'

Old 09-19-2005, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Looking to get 1st boat, need advice on 38'

With boats you don't always get what you pay for but in the case of Cigarette you do. My Cig is 20 years old and the rigging is still better than most of the other brands new boats. There is really something to be said about an '85 that runs through a 2 ft chop with occasional 3's and 4's and doesn't rattle, creak, moan or flex. I've been boating for 25 years, I've been a salesman for Cigarette, Baja, Formula, Skater, Outerlimits and have been through and been in many used boats from many manufacturers and I will probably never own anything other than a Cigarette, maybe an Outerlimits, maybe a Formula but when it really comes down to dropping some real money on a toy I don't think I'd stray from Cig. Don't forget...Quality does not cost, it pays.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a 36' Baja for sale in the Baja section that has been through extensive and recent upgrades for under $90k and it is said to run with a lot of 38's. Worth a shot !!
Old 09-20-2005, 02:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by blaniac
There is a 36' Baja for sale in the Baja section that has been through extensive and recent upgrades for under $90k and it is said to run with a lot of 38's. Worth a shot !!
Havasu Hound's? Saw that one, possibility for the price.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:03 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If you want enjoyable power boating and more time in the water: Get a boat with merc racing engines (blue motors) Resale is better. Dont go with any custom engines - Stay stock. But 80 MPH may be a stretch with most 38's and stock power. EFI no carbs. Stay away from blower motors.

Unless you really need it dont go for Gen set Air or microwave etc... I Rairly use mine. Port a potty with a pump out, bimini and a fridge are a good thing.

Dont rush into anything, Do your homework and get test drives. There will ALWAYS be other boats available.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brav
Havasu Hound's? Saw that one, possibility for the price.
Yup, seen it in person and it looks great and I think is a tremendous value. You could run it for a year or two and probably sell it for what you paid , save some money in the process and then buy whatever your heart desires and checkbook can handle next go round.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Mine is for sale in the OSO classifieds. It is VERY comperable to a Top Gun. The ride, rigging, fit & finish like no other.
Attached Thumbnails Looking to get 1st boat, need advice on 38'-s-poker-run-013.jpg  
Old 09-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brav
Yea, 38 is probably bigger than most 1st boats.. but ive grown up with a 22, 28, 36, and now my old man has a 50. If I can handle those, figure it shouldnt be too tough getting used to a 38. Granted, his were all cabin cruisers.
I can't believe nobody has gone here, but a 38' go-fast ain't nothing like a cruiser. I've been boating all my life like you, but all my seat time (over the last four decades) has been in numerous powerboats. And the last 5 were fast boats. I feel that I am now experienced enough to own a TG, which I would also love to have BTW.

Good luck in your endeavor.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Registered

Thanks Raypanic -

blaniac, I'll look into his boat. Doesnt it have blue motors?

Warparty, is that a Cheif?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Macklin
I can't believe nobody has gone here, but a 38' go-fast ain't nothing like a cruiser. I've been boating all my life like you, but all my seat time (over the last four decades) has been in numerous powerboats. And the last 5 were fast boats. I feel that I am now experienced enough to own a TG, which I would also love to have BTW.

Does he know what it is going to cost to keep a go fast running. Between broken drives, motor rebuilds and fuel. Probably the biggest thing that catches first time performance people is the cost to run them and keep them running.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Macklin

Thank you - I do realize the responsibility. It comes down to respect and knowing your limits. A lot like riding a motorcycle in those terms. Its easy to mash the throttle and point it somewhere, but its what you do in unforseen circumstances that gets you into trouble, or poor judgement.

I'll take it easy. I just hate buying something especially this expensive and then regretting it shortly after.

Quick Reply: Looking to get 1st boat, need advice on 38'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.