Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Question for owners moving up, or ones that moved up (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/11280-question-owners-moving-up-ones-moved-up.html)

Audiofn 01-30-2002 08:28 AM

I went from a 15ft Hydrostream with a 150XS race motor on it ran in the high 70's low 80's, one guy could pick it up on the trailer almost, to a 30ft Formula with twin 330hp 454's. Twice as much boat..... NOT. I like them both actually. You can not beat the hydrostream for sitting down in and hitting the throttles and just going SO FAST!!!! However the Formula for the ride makes is all worth while.

Jon

Jana 01-30-2002 08:30 AM

I went up 13 feet (11 to some of you ;) ) from a Donzi 16 to a 29 Fountain. Cost-wise, I went from new at $24,500 to used, fresh water at $55,000 (including a matched trailer). I feel I have the right boat for where I'm at right now and that the price was reasonable. The jump in cost to buy new would have been totally unreasonable (especially if I got stuck with one of those new windscreens).

DONZIMAN2 01-30-2002 08:40 AM

Went from a Donzi 22ZX to a 26ZX. Price was about double. My first ride in the Bay I realized I had made the right decision. I could not believe how much difference there was in the boats. Critical options I have come to love are K-planes vice tabs, Electric Bolsters, and FULL not half Hyd Steering. Oh and a Subwoofer on the stereo. I am now trying to go to the 33. If there is as much Difference in this step as my previous experience I will be satisfied to pay the additional cost. Good Thread.

Preferredstock 01-30-2002 09:25 AM

I went from a 272 Formula to a 357 Formula. What a difference in ride. Twice the money and three times the ride. But had to buy a dually to pull the 357.

Wild Horses 01-30-2002 09:48 AM

Went from a 23' Mirage with a 330hp to a 33' Formula with twin 420hp's. Other than tuneups and FUEL... not much of a change in costs so far. Well, I needed a new truck to pull it. ;)
All in all .... very happy with the decision. Much more solid and the room is great.

MIdnightRider 01-30-2002 10:04 AM

My opinion is that boats are fairly difficult items to buy and sell. Not to far from houses, a decision not to taken lightly. If you are going to move, move up. My best friend went from a 23 powerquest to a 42 Lightining 2 years ago, and late last year, I did the same from a 250 Baja to 42 Lightning. Most nuts like us will end there eventually, why not save a few steps of depreciation and negative equity.

burtandnancy 01-30-2002 01:47 PM

We've all had twofootitus. My latest blunder was not getting 4 footitus and now I'm thinking of making another jump. I'm thinking of skipping 38 altogether and going 41. Friends suggest the advantages of going from gas to oil burners here. More $$$, but since I'm in all new territory, why not give it a try. Spring is coming...

dyno 01-30-2002 02:13 PM

well I'll give you my .02....I went from a 25 checkmate to a 31 sonic,I sold the checkmate for half of what I payed for the sonic and the sonic was 1 year older. The move is well worth the money to me!Better ride, more room, another motor and A.C. I think if you play your cards right you can do OK in the used boat market if you buy new and you go to make the move your going to pay dearly...A friend gave me some advice when I went to buy the Checkmate buy as much boat as you can afford...rarely do you hear of people that make the move to a smaller boat... so go big or go home!!!!my .02

MIdnightRider 01-30-2002 02:27 PM

Yeah Dyno, " go big or go home". Never heard anyone complain about buying to big of a boat.

Cattitude 01-30-2002 02:33 PM

a lot of it depends on the waters you frequent and how you use the boat. If oceans, great lakes or LOTO are your hangouts or you like to overnight a lot there is a lot of Value in moving up whether it be ride, room or piece of mind from twins.

If you run smaller inland waters and like speed and hanging out in the cockpit and use your cabin strictly for storage and nooners you may regret stepping up. More $ Hp and engines to go the same speed (allthough some 30'ish cats will be faster with same power) more $ for maintenance, bigger towrig, higher slip fees, storage cost, fuel costs, insurance, taxes and oh yeah, the boat costs more too.

The human tendancy is to justify whatever decision we made in life so what we recommend does tend to be a little biased.

With that said... My 25' Daytona is too small at LOTO but on the other places I boat I'm in front of the 32's, 35's etc going from A to B, have equal cabin comfort, may even ride better in some conditions, and my boat cost 1/2 of theirs- bigger is not always better- it depends on what's important to you.

Do keep in mind "True length" when shopping, many makers are giving you less boat than the "honest" ones by including 2' of swim platform and beaks in their measurement- no slamming, just important to know when comparing apples to apples. Good luck!

Oh yea- I guess I went up from my 21' tige inboard but I actually kept the tige. It's great for local lounging and watersports etc but makes for a slow and rough riding cruiser and I have to boat surf when the chop gets much over a foot. (You could stuff this thing in a rowboat wake if you're not careful)I guess in this case it made more sense to have a boat for each aspect of boating because a single boat would be too much compromise to do either very well.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Cattitude ]