Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   which boat would you choose and why (Cig -vs- Outerlimits) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/11282-boat-would-you-choose-why-cig-vs-outerlimits.html)

AIR TIME 11-28-2006 06:00 AM

Re: which boat would you choose and why (Cig -vs- Outerlimits)

me too I RODE IN TEAM OBSESSION on the cape and jumped the wake of the ferry boat :p , it was like being in a caddy on a bumpy road NICE landing and keep going, speed not sure 90 plus ,I was taping it :eek: not holding on to anything. :D got to love OL man.

Panther 11-28-2006 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by kwb
I'm considering two boats:

The first is a 2000 37' Outerlimits (single step bottom) with staggered Merc 900SC and #6 dry sumps. Awesome paint 170 hours total. 50hrs since last complete rebuild by Eickert.

The other boat is a late 1999 42' Cigarette (straight bottom) with the same power and drives (Merc 900SC and #6 dry sump drives). This boat has 70 total hours - fresh water.

The price is the same for either boat.

I've owned a Cigarette before, but not an Outerlimits, so don't know much about them.

What do you guys think?

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: kwb ]

From what I hear the 42' Cig straight bottoms doesn't run as well with #6's. The has rocker and works better with Bravo's, which gives it bow lift. I don't think the #6 Cigs ever ran very fast. I also understand this is why they later designed the 42X.

As for the 37 OL, I've been in a few. Although they run great, I don't think they're the "best" rough water boats. They do run pretty fast for the power. Now a 42' OL compared to a 42Cig and I'd defintely go for the 42 OL! :drink:

thisistank 11-28-2006 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Panther
From what I hear the 42' Cig straight bottoms doesn't run as well with #6's. The has rocker and works better with Bravo's, which gives it bow lift. I don't think the #6 Cigs ever ran very fast. I also understand this is why they later designed the 42X.

As for the 37 OL, I've been in a few. Although they run great, I don't think they're the "best" rough water boats. They do run pretty fast for the power. Now a 42' OL compared to a 42Cig and I'd defintely go for the 42 OL! :drink:

Kenny ended up with the Tiger he was talking about above. 900SC's "warmed" a bit, turning props in boat ran just under 100mph. Ran VERY nice.

The STEPPED Tigers had issues with the #6's not the straight hulls. That is why the X was made. Cig changed the bottom slightly to help the ride with big power and 6's.

Panther 11-28-2006 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank
The STEPPED Tigers had issues with the #6's not the straight hulls. That is why the X was made. Cig changed the bottom slightly to help the ride with big power and 6's.

I guess I was mistaken. :chimp:

Son of a Gun 11-28-2006 03:23 PM

I was gonna say...a #6 straight bottom Tiger not running fast? GL's #6 Tiger with 900+'s pushes 100...that's plenty fast for me.

KRAZYKATZ 11-28-2006 03:38 PM

one ride in the ol you will be fumbling for your pen.

thisistank 11-30-2006 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by KRAZYKATZ
one ride in the ol you will be fumbling for your pen.

Not trying to speak for Kenny (KWB). But he had the chance and the checkbook to purchase either. He went with the Tiger. Not knocking OL...I love 'em too. Just stating what he did.

kwb 11-30-2006 02:03 AM

Ok - you have awoken the dead..... : )

I started this thread almost 5 years ago.... wow time flys!

Looking back on my decision - I made the right choice for me and the water conditions here in the Pacific. The Tiger is a friggn' frieght train in rough water and in my opinion the straight bottom Tiger with #6 drives is one of the best Cigs they ever made.

If I were able to go back in time knowing what I know now and with all of the seat time I have had in the Tiger and in other boats, it was the right choice.