Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hurricane Rita (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/112864-hurricane-rita.html)

H2Xmark 09-22-2005 01:05 PM

Re: Hurricane Rita

i'm still in beaumont, which is 30 miles from the Louisiana border and 30 miles from the coast, we are watching the storm make more of a turn to the east , we should leave tonight unless to turns more that way or drops big time on speed

bglz42 09-22-2005 04:34 PM

15 hours on the road, and we're finally safe in Palestine (East Texas). Usually a 3 hour drive.

Boats are stored in the barn, everythings boarded up, loaded up seven dogs and BAILED OUT! Wish us luck! I hope we have something to go home to!

BTW: Total ineptitude by the Texas State Patrol and local agencies. We left before the manditories, and the traffic lights on 146 were on normal cycle, backed up for 10-15 miles in some cases. State Trooprs and local officers just sitting in their cars watching. Ever thought of controlling those traffic lights, boys?

Jim

bouyhunter 09-22-2005 04:54 PM

OK, it's 5:50 EST right now (Thurs.) and the news is saying that the hurricane is turning to the east.
Take a look at weather.com. The "projected path" and then the "radar veiw". According to the "projected path", the hurricane is further South (currently) than what the radar is showing. The radar is showing it further north, and that means if it follows the "projected path, New Orleans is gonna get hit again.
Everyone be safe down there.

Turbojack 09-22-2005 08:58 PM

Just got back from sitting on side of US290 giving people 45 gallons of cold water. My son said people are dehydrating on the freeway, getting sick, animals dieing so that is why we loaded up the truck with cold water & cups. There were so many people that were thankful just for water. We had many people ask where they could get gas or go to the bathroom & we had to tell them we did not know. Had one lady starting to cry because we were so nice & gave her some water. We stoped in a closed gas station that was full of cars. Went around asking people if they wanted some cold water. When we got there some said they were OK but when they say us break out the water & giving it way they came over asking if they could have some. Talked to some people that had been on the road for 24 hrs were hot and hungry & had a normal 2 hr drive to get to where they were going to go.

We talked to a family sitting at the local school that had left Texas City. They said they had to leave because they felt they would all drown if they stayed.

Now remember this is ALL before a storm has even hit us. I do not want to see it after the storm comes thru.

Wobble 09-22-2005 09:16 PM

I'm staying here in Highlands which is about 20 miles east of downtown Houston. Everyone that has tried to leave since daybreak has turned around and come back as the traffic situation is hopeless if you are trying to leave the greater Houston area.

I have spent he whole day helping the River Rats get their stuff up above the possible storm surge on the San Jacinto river. I think I have towed about 20 different trailers, most of which are in my back field.

You can get around Houston pretty easily at the moment as long as you stay away from the major freeways. I made two trips in this morning to retrive computers from my business.

There are so many people that left home with little gas and only made it a short distance. I really feel for them, but what can you do?

It is hard to believe that we can not get gas deliveries in a city with two of the biggest refineries in the US.

A couple of big boats have made their way up the river and anchored in area of Banana Bend which I am told was always the thing to do 20 years ago when barges ran this far up the river. Apparently it is a good spot to hide out.

I'll try and keep posting until the cable goes down.

Good luck to all you Texas Gulf Coast OSOers.

tomtbone1993 09-23-2005 12:23 AM

It will be a intersting storm...........i got the Fountain put up tonight, Sea Ray Tuesday night. just watched a interview on channel 11 with my pier in the background ............. :(

thunderusone 09-23-2005 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Wobble
I'm staying here in Highlands which is about 20 miles east of downtown Houston. Everyone that has tried to leave since daybreak has turned around and come back as the traffic situation is hopeless if you are trying to leave the greater Houston area.

I have spent he whole day helping the River Rats get their stuff up above the possible storm surge on the San Jacinto river. I think I have towed about 20 different trailers, most of which are in my back field.

You can get around Houston pretty easily at the moment as long as you stay away from the major freeways. I made two trips in this morning to retrive computers from my business.

There are so many people that left home with little gas and only made it a short distance. I really feel for them, but what can you do?

It is hard to believe that we can not get gas deliveries in a city with two of the biggest refineries in the US.

A couple of big boats have made their way up the river and anchored in area of Banana Bend which I am told was always the thing to do 20 years ago when barges ran this far up the river. Apparently it is a good spot to hide out.

I'll try and keep posting until the cable goes down.

Good luck to all you Texas Gulf Coast OSOers.

Mark, be safe!!! We will be praying for you guys up here in Tennessee. Let us know if there is antyhing we can do after it passes.

Strip Poker 388 09-23-2005 06:56 AM

I would not want to be in that traffic jam leaving there:(

Good luck guys

Rob

http://www.crownweather.com/tropical.html#AL18

http://www.crownweather.com/ritasurge.gif

yahoo 09-23-2005 08:45 AM

Im sorry, its the herd mentality. HWY 59 south had almost zero cars. It is apparant that south texas is not going to be hit by the storm.

Right now there are no cars on the freeways in houston Friday 8:43. I just came up to office to make sure the backup worked last night.

If you wanted too, in 2 Hrs you could be in corpus christi drinking pina coladias on the pier.

Just heard a bus caught on fire on the way to dallas, and some people persished, thats terrible.

Wish us luck, I will post pics of my beach house probably sunday, Im planning on going down as soon as they open the causeway up.

CM

Strip Poker 388 09-23-2005 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by yahoo
Im sorry, its the herd mentality. HWY 59 south had almost zero cars. It is apparant that south texas is not going to be hit by the storm.

Right now there are no cars on the freeways in houston Friday 8:43. I just came up to office to make sure the backup worked last night.

If you wanted too, in 2 Hrs you could be in corpus christi drinking pina coladias on the pier.

Just heard a bus caught on fire on the way to dallas, and some people persished, thats terrible.

Wish us luck, I will post pics of my beach house probably sunday, Im planning on going down as soon as they open the causeway up.

CM

24 dead , burned alive in the bus. I think they were from a nursing home . Verry sad :( :(