Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What states can register boats without sales tax ? PLEASE HELP ! >

What states can register boats without sales tax ? PLEASE HELP !

Notices

What states can register boats without sales tax ? PLEASE HELP !

Old 01-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation What states can register boats without sales tax ? PLEASE HELP !

I once was told there are states that you can register your boat in and pay no sales tax . Even if you don't live there . I think Delaware was one . Can anyone help that knows for sure ? I have a customer that needs to know A.S.A.P. Thank you ,Joe
Old 01-09-2004, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Hampshire does not have sales tax, but you need to live here to register anything here. Several people get a PO box in NH and try to get away with it that way. Easier to get away with with boats than auto's.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Registered

Missouri if you document it you do not have to pay sales taxes. But I am not sure if you have to live there or not.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:39 AM

I wouldn't recommend doing it though, police in the home state just love catching people doing this.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:41 AM
600HPS

delaware

Old 01-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Delaware works. But occasionally the Tax Storm Troopers check Jersey marinas for DE numbers and people have been caught. I work with a guy who lives in PA and has a house in Cape May and his boat is registered in DE. It's a trailer boat so no marina probs. and sice he's a PA resident nobodies bothered him.
According to USCG rules the vessel should be registered in the state of use. He uses it in Delaware Bay and Delaware has laid claim to thr Bay to the Jersey shore . So thats his reasoning
Old 01-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Registered

New or used boat?
It's easier for used boats. Sells may be willing to put a lower price on the sales document, title, etc.
Several states have no tax on used boats. You can register there with a PO or friends address, then transfer to your current state after you have the title. Then just tell the liscence bereau you just move to your current state.
Not that I've ever done this.
Anonymous
Old 01-09-2004, 02:05 PM
jb
Registered

I had registered mine in Delaware through creating a corp. Sold my boat to the corp for a dollar.
Never had a problem in NY...well, never got caugfht I guess. I was technically not supposed to be docked at any one port for 3 months. Always got canadian receipts, we went her often
Old 01-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rhode Island is a tax free state for boats. Send me a message, and we can see if we can help you out.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Gary, good idea ...but not in Jersey .
If you "move" here and bring your title you need a sales taxe receipt too. If you don'r have proof , you pay
If you do have proof and it's less than Jersey , those rotten bastiches take the rest to equal what Jerseys would have been.
Pretty nice when you make the laws too.huh

Quick Reply: What states can register boats without sales tax ? PLEASE HELP !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.