Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Cord
What boat did you end up getting?
Old 01-30-2002, 12:55 PM
Registered

hey cord,
You better double check and make sure they know this boat is a cat, cuz I tried to insure my 26 cat w/t 2.4's, and in the book they had of state farm policies, they had pictures of cat hull's and tunnel hulls and stamped on the picture in the hull type section it clealy said "not insurable thru state farm".

Anyway I go thru allstate on my advantage for $1500 p year, a bit expensive, but if you ever need to use your insurance allstate is great at paying the bill immediately with no adjustor coming out. I had boat us for $700 on the advantage when I was signing the purchace papers, then when the marina owner saw I had Boat US he told me how boat us will drag out your claim forever, pro-rate depreciation of your boat since new, and give you that percentage of what your parts cost. and recommended allstate as the best to deal with, the marina turns in an invoice, and they have a check in less than a week every time. Thats worth twice the cost to me so I switched immediately. Then baot us were total *******s about giving me my money back, and took several months. The marina told me of Boat US sending the parts to the marina that were used parts, then they require the marina to send them all of the old broken parts so they can re-use them afret they inspect them and clean them up, just like the junk used parts you get for your boat from BOAT US. They just seem like a big scam to me.

My friend at work confirmed this for me this summer. He has boat us insurance and he hit bottom and blew a drive last spring, boat us came out three times to inspect, then he didnt want thier used parts in his bravo drive, so of the $3300 in broken parts he had, after depreciation, he got a check for $1400 for parts two months after sending the invoice to them, then had to fight with them for two months more before they would cover the labor, he didnt get a check for the labor till october and this is how all thier claims are handled I hear. The marina says if he wasnt a friend of mine they tell people with boat us to go elsewhere, it's just not worth thier time. Word to the wise I guess.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: advantage_ROB ]
Old 01-30-2002, 01:23 PM
FA18Driver

Talking

Thanks Rob, I hadn't heard that about Boat US but since you say they are a real pain in the axe to deal with I might keep shopping....

Old 01-30-2002, 01:39 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Red-we are trying to get the Firehawk.

Advantage-you sometimes you are better off not knowing things. That said, I did disclose to them that the boat was a cat. Said it several times and I know the paperwork had catamaran on it. They even held back on issuing the policy because of our claim with the Concord. I suppose I should dig further, but sometime you are better off not knowing things.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:56 PM
Registered

I hear ya on that, I could not get anyone loacally to insure that boat Ended up with boat us ironicly enough, more for liability than repair. It was just that I couldnt get anyine to insure it at all, then boat us would, and for 1/5 of the price of anyone else. Thank god I've got family with a marina if ever anything happens, but I guess it will be fine since I dont use that boat. Its in the boats for sale section. 26' redline, I need to get some pics in there, and have viscious one fix up the wording a bit.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: advantage_ROB ]
Old 01-30-2002, 02:22 PM
kook

Exclamation

As someone said, make sure you know if you are getting depreciated value or agreed value. Sy gives agreed value - say you buy a boat for $40k, put another $20k into it - your boat is insured for $60k, so long as that is stated up-front.

Old 01-30-2002, 02:33 PM
stingray

$840 per year thru USAA on a 2002 288 Sunsation with the 496HO. Only problem is you've got to be either a current or former military officer or closely related to one who is a current member to join. All others I tried wanted 4-500 more per year...

Rick

Old 01-30-2002, 02:41 PM
FA18Driver

Talking

Hey Reckless, do you have a link to USAA or a number? I think I can qualify as I am a retired Navy officer (Comander)

Old 01-30-2002, 05:18 PM
kook

Angry

USAA had decent rates when I checked... that was for a 310hp boat... They won't touch something running 600+hp, 80+mph.

Old 01-30-2002, 07:00 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

(I am an active duty officer too, Commander has two M's)
I have been with State Farm 22 years, 26ZX (second boat in a year), 500 deductilbe,
$500,000 (most important)in liabilty for a hair under $500 a year, agreed value on boat and trailer.

We have covered this issue here many times, I think every underwriter and agent have different rules.... And to clarify yes they ask HP (415) and boat length, not speed.
Bryan

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: 2001 26ZX ]

Quick Reply: Boat Insurance how much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.