Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Home Theater Receiver Question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/11303-ot-home-theater-receiver-question.html)

32fever 01-14-2002 10:37 PM

Thanks for the emails and info guys.

Bill272, yeah, I've been to audioreview.com, and read reviews. Some are good, some look like the SBI/APBA arguements on this board. LOL!

BillR, yeah, I almost bought NAD years ago, but went with Adcom for my stereo I was putting together. Both of those companies lost my interest a few years back when HT became the "thing" and they just didn't seem to keep up, so I bailed on learning about them. Always like them in the past, but I see a lot of that stuff used in places, which tells me sumpin ain't right.

Nort, yeah, sound receivers I guess. Not getting into HDTV till I have to. Lugged my 56" projection downstairs, so I ain't lugging it back out fur nuttin! LOL! I think I'm going projection next when the time comes, just mount the mamma jamma to the ceiling and get a big-azz screen.

Audiofn 01-15-2002 10:19 AM

Everyone how about a hand for another fine example of post whoreing from Trouper Troutly!!! :D :D It's ok troutly I am a memeber of that board, so I fit into both catagories LOL :D :D

JOn

Clay Washington 01-15-2002 12:06 PM

A good home theater has several components...

Audio/Video Source: TV Antenna, Cable TV, Satellite, DVD, VCR, CD, AM/FM, etc.

Audio Output: Receiver, Speakers, Cables/Wires

Video Output: TV/Monitor (Composite, S-Video, Component, HDTV) and Cables

Room Acoustics: Speaker placement, seating, etc.

If you're looking for a good AVR Receiver... I have a Harman Kardon AVR85 that works very well for me.

Just make sure that you get one that accepts both optical and coax audio inputs. My satellite receiver has optical audio and my DVD has coax audio. You will need this to receive the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

Good Luck! :D

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Clay Washington ]

32fever 01-15-2002 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Troutly:
<STRONG>Also, I think your listening enviroment and speaker selection is more important than the HT receiver you choose. You can spend huge amounts of $$ on the best equipment, but pipe it through some horse**** speakers into an acoustic pit, and it'll all be for nothing :) .</STRONG>
Troutly,
You mean, if I use the 6 x 9 Kracos I had in the back window of my 79 Cutlass, I'd be wasting my money on a $2000 receiver? LOL!

So, you a "post whore" on that site, too? :eek:

Mark

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: 32fever ]

ActiveFun 01-15-2002 04:03 PM

Hey Guys.. Is THX still an important option?

BillR 01-15-2002 05:55 PM

THX?= NO!

36spectre 01-15-2002 07:32 PM

For the price you can't beat the Yamaha. I have 3 of them and the oldest has been in use for 4 years no problems. And they are fairly easy to program and use.

Intolerant1 01-15-2002 07:44 PM

I have a pretty simple system with low cost but I am very happy with the performance. Pioneer receiver with JBL bookshelf speakers, JBL 10" powered sub, Infinity rear surround speakers. JVC DVD player. I spent alot of time looking for deals. Found some good ones at Best Buy on "open box" items. You can spend alot of money on equipment and put it in a room that isnt audio friendly.

Audiofn 01-15-2002 07:53 PM

THX is still a good thing in this market. What it tells you is that the reciever has met certain standers so that it will be able to reproduce accuratly the movie experience in a home. There are certain levels of it, like THX ULTRA for larger rooms and other ratings for smaller rooms. This rating is based on what Lucas Films thinks that receiver is capable of doing for filling a room and hitting certain SPL ratings at certain quality. It takes a lot of the guess work out for the uneducated or new to Theater buyer. Now that being said getting that little LOGO on the front of your box costs a lot of money, so some of the smaller more high end companies do not pay to have the tests done. It does not mean that they are not capable of hitting the standards, just that they are not willing to pay the money. In the off the shelf market of Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon and so on it is still an important thing to look for in my opinion as it assures the ability of that product to give you a accurate movie watching experience.

Jon

gjockey 01-16-2002 02:33 AM

32fever,

When you quit playing games with the receiver :D and get to what's really important in home theater -the SUB Woofer- check these out :eek: :eek: :eek: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/ The powered 16-46PC model specifically http://www.svsubwoofers.com/svpoweredsubs.htm Best regards---- John