OT: Home Theater Receiver Question

Notices

OT: Home Theater Receiver Question

Old 01-16-2002, 08:31 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Audiofn:
<STRONG>THX is still a good thing in this market. What it tells you is that the reciever has met certain standers
Jon</STRONG>
Yeah, like paying Lucas big bux.
Audio, you've been in the industry long enough, so if you have your choice of say a Technics THX this vs. a non THX Marantz, Yamaha, or Denon, would you prefer the THX model because Technics paid lots of money to Lucas so they could sport that logo? You know the Yam, Denon, or Mar will sound and perform much better.
I've seen too many THX products that met the "standards" that sound like garbage. If the THX standard was THAT good, then all THX approved products sould sound and perform great. Sorry, they don't.

Ok , I'm off my soapbox now.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 01-16-2002, 08:48 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Bill the only problem with your argument it that those large companies that you just mentioned do get the certification, for them it is nothing to spend the money. It is the small guys like Enlightened audio design that have not been paying the bucks although I believe that even their new stuff is. There have been unfortunatly some instances of companies sending in some receivers for certification then changing the boards at a later time. I believe that Lucas has cracked down on that and also decided to offer the different ratings. I certainly do not look at that logo to make my decisions but lets face it I am a far more edjucated consumer then most and it sounds like you are as well. This is for the guy that knows nothing about audio, and wants a good sounding system. Now does Techniques really offer a THX amy????

Jon
Old 01-16-2002, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went through the same thing about a year ago. Couldn't decide whether it was better to spend 3 G's on a component system or 1.5 G's on a good quality receiver. I ended up going with a Yamaha RX-V1000. It is a very nice medium level receiver and has the output (no amp) for the new DTS ES and Dolby Digital 6.1. The best part about it is I caught it on sale and only paid around $800 for the thing. Has all of the necessary RCA, S-Video, component, Toslink, coax inputs and outputs I need for my TV, DSS, DVD, CD, cassette, VCR, and Play Station. I really didn't hear that much difference between this receiver and the RX-V1 costing 3 times as much. Maybe its my untrained ear but this thing sounds good to me. Speakers on the other hand seem to be a get what you pay for type of deal. I went with a mix-match setup of B&W and Klipsch. It all sounds good to me.

Mike
Old 01-16-2002, 10:57 AM
FWK

Steve what Mk's do you have they are great speakers as well as the subs they make. The MK's are one of the main lines I use for home theater. Parasound gives you a tremendous bang for the buck.
BillR I would buy any of the rcvr's you listed without the logo over a Technics. I would not even suggewst a tecnics to a customer. Forrest

Old 01-16-2002, 11:14 AM
Registered

definitely make sure it has DTS on it.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Audiofn,
Thanks for the response. I researched a few prices on some of the receivers listed above and what I found is the Pioneer Elite VSX36TX is the only receiver for $1,000 that is THX certified. The Marantz, NAD, Sony were not. What do you think?
Old 01-16-2002, 10:40 PM
FWK

Steve you ought to listen to the powered S-150THX speakers. Parasound definitely takes care of the customer. Forrest

Old 01-16-2002, 10:49 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Active fun take a look at the Integra 7.1 and 7.2 receivers. They are THX, but more importantly they sound great, and have upgradable software and RS-232 control. They are set up to run Dolby 7.1 with the addition of a amp, and will run 6.1 out of the box. They are really solid pieces to look at.
Parasound has some really kick ass stuff sapposedly just around the corner. We will see. I have seen the product and all I can tall ya is WOW!!!!! Very cool!!!

Jon
Old 01-16-2002, 11:54 PM
Registered

Everyone will usually recommend what they have in their house. But even knowing that, I have to recommend an M&K sub. I have and mx-105 in a 12x22 room and it just pounds out clean tight bass all day long. It's thier cheapest push-pull dual driver sub and I can hear it at the street through walls and the garage and it's not even close to distorting. Try to find a place that will let you bring equipment home to test it in your room.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:35 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Steve I am not fallowing you on the audio CD questions????

Quick Reply: OT: Home Theater Receiver Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.