Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Driving shoes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/11304-driving-shoes.html)

Ted Zoli 01-30-2002 09:42 AM

For what it is worth, if you are "pushing the limits" you will find it easier to swim without even light shoes. Practice swimming with your helmet on also. It is an eye opener to do even a length of a pool with it on. I think that to have the first time you are trying to breath with water sloshing around your helmet be an emergency is really compunding the problems.

Ted

kook 01-30-2002 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Captain Ted:
<STRONG>For what it is worth, if you are "pushing the limits" you will find it easier to swim without even light shoes. Practice swimming with your helmet on also. It is an eye opener to do even a length of a pool with it on. I think that to have the first time you are trying to breath with water sloshing around your helmet be an emergency is really compunding the problems.

Ted</STRONG>
huh... did I say something about helmets anywhere? Shoes can always be removed easily, especially if they are slip-on type.

Ted Zoli 01-31-2002 07:48 AM

Sorry, just assumed that when "pushing the limits" you and passengers would be safely dressed. Maybe i understand the phrase differently than you.
Ted

kook 01-31-2002 09:36 AM

<STRONG>Sorry, just assumed that when "pushing the limits" you and passengers would be safely dressed. Maybe i understand the phrase differently than you.
Ted</STRONG>

Well, pushing the limits in a pleasure boat, you don't usually see anyone using a helmet (I least I haven't). I understand the value of safety, but you've got to balance that with practicality.

I have wondered how often the (big) head gets banged-up during an ejection.... Just seems to me that it would be very rare, but just guessing. I fully understand, from first-hand experience) the value of a helmet for motorcycling, but that's a whole different ball gave... Plus, what about all the water that gets up inside? If you were knocked out for a brief bit, wouldn't the helmet be a detriment, rather than a help, while floating in the water? With pleasure use, you don't have safety crews right nearby to pick you up out of the water.

Ted Zoli 01-31-2002 03:27 PM

Can't answer your question...the only guys i've seen thrown out of boats were wearing helmets.
I'm not a performance pleasure boater. Pleasure guys i see get out of fast cats have helmets. Looks like nearly 100% of poker runners wear helmets. Have seen v's with no one wearing helmets. I know no one likes to look like "Team Gomer" but i don't think Bill Tomlinson, when he gets out of "My Way" (Turbine 46' Skater) looks bad taking off his helmet. I have a special 2" long 1/8" deep scratch in my helmet after rolling a 36' Skater. Glad it wasn't my head!
What caught my eye was the "pushing the limits" concept. Safety is on peoples mind after the HTM tragedy. If pushing the limits requires foot wear...you know the rest....
Ted

kook 01-31-2002 05:57 PM

<STRONG>What caught my eye was the "pushing the limits" concept. Safety is on peoples mind after the HTM tragedy. If pushing the limits requires foot wear...you know the rest....
Ted</STRONG>

I haven't been following that thread to closely, but were those guys even wearing vests? :rolleyes:

The footware need comes from slipping numerous times on the carpet (or even on the bare floor with the carpet removed), when getting into rough water. If I can't keep my feet planted, I can't be fully in control, it's that simple.

Helmet damage? I do indeed have my own to share.... asphalt and concrete are a bit harder than water and fiberglass:
OUCH!
:eek:

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: kook ]

buck183 01-31-2002 11:58 PM

You might take a look at Personal Watercraft riding shoes.

The two major players in this market are Jet Pilot and Slippery When Wet.

I've owned and raced w/ both brands. Found both to be comfortable, tough, good traction, easy to put on, drain quickly and somewhat stylish. I usually got two to three years of constant riding and racing out or each pair I owned.

Should be able to pick a pair up for $50-$60.

Just a thought.

Buck

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: buck183 ]

kook 02-01-2002 04:49 AM

Buck - thanks for the tip... Started looking around in my boat catalogs (Boater's World, Overton's, etc.) and this is the direction I think I will go.