Skater 28 - sensitive for flippin'? >

Skater 28 - sensitive for flippin'?

Notices

Skater 28 - sensitive for flippin'?

Old 01-14-2002, 05:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts
Post Skater 28 - sensitive for flippin'?

Hi!

I have got hold of a Skater 28 w/twin Merc 2.5 EFI's. How sensitive is the Skater 28 with regards to flip around at high speed?

Too avoid this scary and dangerous situation, what should be avoided?

We are two people doing this project, and Frode is a professional driver (Offshore Class 3 and F1). So I will do the learning curve. Just curious.

Cheers and thanks, Toffen G
Old 01-14-2002, 06:06 PM
packinair

As I have said in other threads the most important thing I have learned when I got my cat... when making a turn the most important thing to remember is "hail mary full of grace"............

Old 01-14-2002, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts
It's a cat right? pretty much answered your own question didnt you??!!
Old 01-14-2002, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All cats will flip. Just use common sense when driving. My 30 Motion is just about the same as a 28 Skater. I never felt I was on the edge at high speed straight to flip even heading into the wind. I have almost flipped on a high speed turn in a race doing around 85 mph. We ran into a turn hard in a race a little too hot and sharp turn. Take some time with the boat and you'll be fine.
Doug eMotion Racing
Old 01-14-2002, 08:44 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Be sure to mark your indicators with some finger nail polish so that you know when the tabs and drives are level. Cats love negative trim or nuetral trim.

With the boat on the trailer, get a straight edge and make the drives and the tabs perfectly level with the edge that is extending the bottom. When everything is level adjust the indicator lines so that the indicators on the dash are even. Then put a drop of finger nail polish on the glass covering the indicators. This will allow you to run the boat with the exact same trim settings every time, becuase you will know what your transom looks like from the front seats. Also set up the trim buttons in a fashion that makes sense to you. Normally you push the bottom of the button to bring the bow up. So that means, drives out and tabs up. Pushing the top of the button with bring the drives down and the tabs down.

When driving, make trim adjustments and then wait for at least 5 full seconds for the hull to react to the change. Make tiny changes at a time. Things happen real fast at 100mph.

In a turn you may want to slow down and trim up to hold the nose high. Cats get into trouble when the front sponson catches and the ass end comes around.

You need cat like reflexes during turns. No matter how confident you become, never lose attention in a turn, no matter at what speed.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:36 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Toffen,
Ron has some great advise.
Plus, From what I've heard from the old "rec.boats.racing.power" newsgroup, if you have Frode in the boat, you already have a great professor to learn from.
Good luck to you guys.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:23 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Thanks guys, just some common sense being passed along.
Old 01-15-2002, 12:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

Hi guys!

Thanks for the advice! We have started the rigging now and Frode is busy.

I am looking for two Skater high bucket seats. Do you know of any for sale?

Cheers and thanks, Toffen G
Old 01-15-2002, 03:23 PM
Registered

Toffen,
When do you need them. We have two that will be available from a 36' Skater...believe they are the same for the Skaters 36+, not sure <36'. We will have them available just before the season i believe. Pictures are more or less available if you check out http://www.critical-lift.com
Look in Pictures at 2001. There may be others in the other years.
Ted
Ted
Old 01-15-2002, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ron

Thanks, I am going to mark mine tonight, I assume the same is true on a v hull.

WILL

Quick Reply: Skater 28 - sensitive for flippin'?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.