Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why Sailors need refresher courses (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/113476-why-sailors-need-refresher-courses.html)

waybomb 10-02-2005 08:15 AM

Re: Why Sailors need refresher courses

Wow, didn't mean to start a war!

My question was referring to non-commercial fisherman, simliar to the type jtmiller02 was speaking of.

Like I said, I can understand the R-O-W for a working vessel. I was unclear of how the rules applied to the jerks, and specifically, should they even be fishing in an area where many many boats are trying to go around and get past these jerks, all while trying to avoid aliding with each other and the very rusty metal sea wall.

If they are not supposed to be fishing in the channel, what is the proper authority to report them to?

tommymonza 10-02-2005 08:28 AM

WILDSAFARI what you do,just get your new six-pack captains license and now you want to impress us with your book knowledge. :rolleyes:And leave MITCH alone, he is a confessed BLOWBOTER :evilb:

offshoredrillin 10-02-2005 08:58 AM

It gets crazy here around annapolis too. I particularly like when they are under power and will pull a sail up a little bit to make everyone "think" they are under sail. It's easier for me to corrective measures than to argue with them, but if they arent under sail, I dont.

Formula Outlaw 10-02-2005 10:58 AM

Blowboters down here are a mixed breed. Some are actually friendly and wave at "us", and others of course give us the mandatory "sailbote salute". :rolleyes:

One guy drinking his wine with his lady friend, who was obviously "well on his way", started screaming and cursing me cause I passed him doing 25 mph in the channel of the ICW, the posted limit for the channel in that area. He was under power. I gave him a wide berth and didn't anticipate anything at all. Well he starts screaming at me and threw his wine bottle at my boat. That pissed me off, bad. I turned around, went back behind him, came up beside him with my drives WAY overtrimmed and hosed that SOB from stem to stern. Friggin jack ass. I had two people with me so I didn't care if the azzhole called the cops or not. When he threw that bottle at my boat, that was war.

This was four years ago and I'm still looking for him. Name on the side of the boat was "SeaHawk"......and the jerk had red hair.

WildSafaris 10-02-2005 12:29 PM

The desired result is that these people learn and know the rules, and from the above article you can see it's getting way out of hand.

Everyone has seen their fair share of sailboaters who think they have the right of way over all vessels. Fishing where it obstrucks others can also be an issue. Both are ticketable. Just as you are not allowed to park in the middle of the freeway and obstruct traffic, you are not allowed to obstruct the waterway.

Your local sheriff/coast-guard monitors 16 and will usually can send a patrol out upon receiving a complaint.

I made the comment above becasue I don't think yelling at them and calling them a dumbass will result in them rushing home and study up on navigation rules.

Getting back to the issue, Sailboaters should be taught that old slogan sailboats have the right of way is FALSE. They should be taught that the sailboat is #4 on the right-of-way list.

JnT 10-02-2005 01:05 PM

Many good points have been brought up on this thread. Rule number 2 ,responsibility, could come into play in a lot of situations. It basicly says that if your boat is more manuverable you can depart from the rules to avoid collision. You MUST take action to avoid collision. Don't get pissed and ram the sailboat under power just because he is an A$$ . :) The sailboat under power should be showing an inverted cone apex down. From a distance it looks like an upside down triangle. If he is under power without the dayshape tell him to learn the rules before operating that boat. :)

woogie 10-02-2005 04:20 PM

Seen some crazy situations in the channels up here. Buddy was on a Great Lakes Freighters before he got married and can tell some incredible ones. When I head out I'm all eyes just waiting for it. Hear ya Mitch - gotta wonder about those fishing boats at the mouth and inside the channel, especially the ones sitting there in the dark with no lights. Reminds me of pedestians that throw themselves out in front of cars in Peru for money and the owners jump out and pound them. Its nuts.
Watch out close for the lines coming off the side. Was almost to the end of the gauntlet here and felt something go across my mouth - I flipped it out so dam fast and just as I did a spinner went by my eye. Look to right at the crowd and these guys were casting across the width of the channel! Sorry! yeah right!

wananewboat 10-02-2005 04:36 PM

So bite me Popeye. LMAO

bobonthis 10-02-2005 04:49 PM

Why sailors need refresher coarses...
http://www.spikedhumor.com/Article.aspx?id=901

CigDaze 10-03-2005 07:39 AM

But, but I thought I had the right-of way? Why didn't the 700' long ship turn to avoid me??? :rolleyes: