Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bad boat accident on Lake George right now (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/113551-bad-boat-accident-lake-george-right-now.html)

Jonas 10-03-2005 06:54 PM

Re: Bad boat accident on Lake George right now

i am curious,.
i have a bigazz wake makin tug, 3888 bayliner motr yacht,, its crazy the water i can churn up.this thing can put off some rollers that would throw a small boat up on a levee or roll a basboat etc. i know i am responsible for my wake so i am always on and off the throttles 13 knots down to 5 back up to 13-14knots back down to 5 ... only time i really dont pull out of it is wen offshores or runabouts flying by. as i think they want to jump the wakes
in a situatuion like this is a ferry charter boat liable for thier wake too?

i have heard that a tug that is pushin or pulling and throwing huge wake is not due to the nature of commercial vessel?? not sure,,

and please donnt tell me to go take a CG class/ :drink:

otis311 10-03-2005 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tricky919
At the press conference just now they asked about a speed limit on the lake and they said there is a 45 mph speed limit during the day and 25 mph at night........Is this true ? and if so do they enforce it?

Very rarely do they enforce it. If you are driving like an idiot or out of control or at a high rate of speed in a congested area you are just begging to be pulled over, but if you use common sence, run fast in non congested areas such as the northern end of the lake, they rarely pull you over. Noise limits have been a big headache for us performance boats the last few years.. Not the speeds. Most of us run at cruise anyways which is around 55-60 mph with a quick burst here and there.

PhantomChaos 10-03-2005 07:09 PM

Witnesses claimed the wake of a larger vessel, the Mohegan, caused the boat to roll over and sink. That craft is operated by the Lake George Steamboat company. (Map of area)

Bill Dowle, the company's owner, told CNN the Mohegan was on the lake Sunday afternoon, but it was two miles away from the Ethan Allen and had nothing to do with any wake that might have caused the accident.

WildSafaris 10-03-2005 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by epeek
Apparently the Ethan Allen uses unsecured folding style chairs
for seating. From what I heard,most of the people were over
on one side of the boat looking at the shoreline. This caused the
boat to list towards one side. The "Mo"came by causing a large
wake running parallel to the Ethan Allen causing the boat to tip.
The chairs all slid to one side causing the rest of the people
(and weight) to capsize the boat. Most people were elderly
and in wheelchairs or using walkers. Seems like a just the right
combination of circumstances to cause a tragedy.:( What a shame.

The chances of something happening like that are so slim....
but when it does the people are not strong enough to get a jacket... it's soo sad.

epeek 10-03-2005 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Witnesses claimed the wake of a larger vessel, the Mohegan, caused the boat to roll over and sink. That craft is operated by the Lake George Steamboat company. (Map of area)

Bill Dowle, the company's owner, told CNN the Mohegan was on the lake Sunday afternoon, but it was two miles away from the Ethan Allen and had nothing to do with any wake that might have caused the accident.

Yea,I heard that also. I can say for a fact,that when the
Mo has a full head of steam,the wake carries for miles.
And let me tell you,Its some serious rollers.
That being said,The Mo has run the lake since the
early 1900's. Everyone knows its wake. You cant blame
the Mo,its just an unsual combination of circumstance
that caused this horrible accident.
We always want to find fault in peoples actions when
something like this happens,but as far as I'm concerned
no one is to blame. Its just a horrible accident.....and
accidents happen.:(

39NAS-T 10-04-2005 08:16 AM

I will be prayin for the families as well.
Hunter

Ms PatriYacht 10-04-2005 08:49 AM

Since every passenger but one is from the metro Detroit area the story is constantly being played out on the news. They say the sets were permanent benches, not plastic seats. They were in violation of not having a crew member on board other than the captain. When taking that large of a group of people especially elderly I can not believe there was no one else on board, I am not sure if it would have helped. I wonder if the life vests were under the benches or stowed some where else.
\Well they have suspended the Ethan Allens licenses.
How big is Lake George, that Mo looks like one huge boat, I guess it has been around a while but is the lake really big enough for boats that throw that monster of a wake, I think I saw on their web site there are a few other boats of that size out there as well.

FountainCS 10-04-2005 02:28 PM

WC, great job with the info! And welcome to OSO!

Ms PatriYacht 10-04-2005 03:14 PM

thanks for all the info, has anyone head of a marina or gas dock called Yankee? I was just on the phone with one of my customers he asked if I heard about the accident and told me his nephew owns that business.

I will have to find out how long Lake St Clair is, as a comparision

Shane 10-04-2005 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
thanks for all the info, has anyone head of a marina or gas dock called Yankee? I was just on the phone with one of my customers he asked if I heard about the accident and told me his nephew owns that business.

I will have to find out how long Lake St Clair is, as a comparision

Who is his nephew? John Brodie?