Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Honeyman Skater crashes in Az. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/113583-honeyman-skater-crashes-az.html)

PhantomChaos 10-06-2005 07:07 PM

Re: Honeyman Skater crashes in Az.

I never heard of Lake Pleasant until this thread came along. It's the blue dot with #17 in it. Must be a small lake!

http://www.arizona-leisure.com/gfx/az-lakes-map.jpg

Bill272 10-06-2005 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by buggyman100
yeah, your right! just do us a favor, keep your a$$ in ca. we have enough c*ck suckers here is AZ. the same people that sit here and talk sht are the same ones sitting in the cove getting drunk and driving there boats back to the marina as fast as they can go. its all cool untill some one gets hurt of killed!
the funny part is most of you missed that part! its time to rip up leland, and most of you don't even know him.
and the ones that do, I've been in humbug every Sunday sense march, I've saw all of you out there, the things you said about him, must of that i could say about you!
lets just hope that if this ever happens to you that you can handle your boat well enough that no one gets hurt also!
im sure you will be glad to hear this but this is my last post, it just makes me ill to know alot of you just thrive on others misfortune.
i thought that we were all on here because we love boats, the water and have a fun weekend with out friends.

Are they're, oops, I mean "their", dammit, I mean "there" schools where they stop teaching english after the third grade? Please people, try to read you're, mmmm - yore, arrrgh..."your" posts out loud once before you hit the reply button to see if it sounds right to you.

I have to say that the last line is my favorite though. Myself, I prefer to love boats, the water, and have fun weekends WITH friends....

satisfactionII 10-06-2005 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bill272
I have to say that the last line is my favorite though. Myself, I prefer to love boats, the water, and have fun weekends WITH friends....

bill272 most excellent catch! :D
boogerman100 is a real jewel. I would bet he doesn't do much writing in his line of work and probably doesn't talk much either except to say "Would you like fries with that?"
:evilb: :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

Dregsz 10-06-2005 11:31 PM

As described by T2x in the thread, "great moments in cat history", post #112

Ron P.--My thoughts on "spinning" in..... Simple physics.... Right hand rotation propellers,torque (lean) the boat to the left. Left hand rotation propellers torque the boat to the right. In a twin engine boat spinning outboard or , RH on right side, LH on left, the torque of the propellers tends to return the boat to level when one side or the other leans outward. When props are spun inboard RH on left, LH on right, or counter rotated the torque tends to make the lean worse. This occurs because as a boat(Cat or Vee) leans to one side, the prop on that side buries deeper and exerts more force, while the prop on the other side rises (in some cases out of the water) and exerts less force. So...... If a RH prop is spinning on the right side of a boat leaning to the right, the prop tends to push the hull back over to the left. (spinning Outboard). If, however, the left hand prop is on the right side in a right hand lean , the prop tends to continue to roll the boat over. I submit that this is why there has been such a dramatic increase in barrel rolls (even in straight-aways) in races in recent years. When I flew over races for 16 years, I could always spot the counter rotated boats, because they behaved very differently (and definitely not better)than their properly spun (outboard rotation) competitors.
The reason that many people spin them "backwards" is the fact that on some hulls the boat may gain a mile or two per hour at top speed....or..... the boat has a bottom tune that needs more bow lift. The speed can generally be achieved in other ways without using an unnatural rotation as a "bandaid" (This is particularly problematical on stepped bottom boats that skid first, then catch suddenly, then roll outward......get the picture?)

Ryan Beckley 10-07-2005 12:02 AM

WOW ........ is it just me or does this post have the worst grammer and spelling in the history of OSO? Oh yea 8 people in a 36 Skater at 140+ ......um.......yea that seems like a bad idea to start with.

stecz20 10-07-2005 12:16 AM

who asked you beckley.....

jordy 10-07-2005 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
grammer

Wouldn't that be grammar???? :evilb: :D :rolleyes: :D

Sorry, just couldn't resist. :D

Roger 1 10-07-2005 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
WOW ........ is it just me or does this post have the worst grammer and spelling in the history of OSO? Oh yea 8 people in a 36 Skater at 140+ ......um.......yea that seems like a bad idea to start with.

If this continues, Steve just may have to invest in an official OSO ''little bus'' and start a round up. :D

OnlyMoney 10-07-2005 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
I never heard of Lake Pleasant until this thread came along. It's the blue dot with #17 in it. Must be a small lake!

http://www.arizona-leisure.com/gfx/az-lakes-map.jpg

Don't you remember Kellogg with Lick This? He used to take that big ba$tard to Pleasant until he really tried to make it go fast, then he came to Havasu and it never went the speed it should have. Another example of a guy with all $$, no boat experience or brains.

And, you know me....Starfish ring a bell? :p

T2x 10-07-2005 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dregsz
As described by T2X in the thread, "great moments in cat history", post #112

Ron P.--My thoughts on "spinning" in..... Simple physics.... Right hand rotation propellers,torque (lean) the boat to the left. Left hand rotation propellers torque the boat to the right. In a twin engine boat spinning outboard or , RH on right side, LH on left, the torque of the propellers tends to return the boat to level when one side or the other leans outward. When props are spun inboard RH on left, LH on right, or counter rotated the torque tends to make the lean worse. This occurs because as a boat(Cat or Vee) leans to one side, the prop on that side buries deeper and exerts more force, while the prop on the other side rises (in some cases out of the water) and exerts less force. So...... If a RH prop is spinning on the right side of a boat leaning to the right, the prop tends to push the hull back over to the left. (spinning Outboard). If, however, the left hand prop is on the right side in a right hand lean , the prop tends to continue to roll the boat over. I submit that this is why there has been such a dramatic increase in barrel rolls (even in straight-aways) in races in recent years. When I flew over races for 16 years, I could always spot the counter rotated boats, because they behaved very differently (and definitely not better)than their properly spun (outboard rotation) competitors.
The reason that many people spin them "backwards" is the fact that on some hulls the boat may gain a mile or two per hour at top speed....or..... the boat has a bottom tune that needs more bow lift. The speed can generally be achieved in other ways without using an unnatural rotation as a "bandaid" (This is particularly problematical on stepped bottom boats that skid first, then catch suddenly, then roll outward......get the picture?)

How did I get into this.....?

The amazing thing is not only do west coast cats handle badly..... but even East Coast designs...roll over.....when running out in that neck of the woods.

Maybe the boat tripped over a floating fruit or nut......... :p

T2x