Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Jobs In The Offshore Industry??? >

Jobs In The Offshore Industry???

Notices

Jobs In The Offshore Industry???

Old 04-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jobs In The Offshore Industry???

Just want to get some input on how to go about looking for a career in this business. I would really like to start with a boat manufacturer in florida. I recently paid off my truck and my credit cards, so all i have left now is my boat which i owe about 11k on. Looking to try and get that knocked down in the next year by doubling payments. I am single and I really looking into picking up my things and making the move. I have been here at BMW as a wholesale parts manager for 6 years and now that I'm close to debt free, I feel its the best time to make a change, and I'm turning 30 this year. Just looking for personal opinions on steps I should take to try and pursue this career change. thanks for listening.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...b256_0-en.html
Old 04-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

You are going about a career change correctly by getting debt free. Be carefull. Making your hobby your job can suck the fun out of it. I was service/parts manager at a high performance marina. By the end of the season I was ready to get rid of my boat.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.navsurvey.com
be your own boss.. study from home, pass the course, register and THEN move.. find you a surveyor working down there and get an internship or assistant position.. Some of these big boats take a couple of days to survey. Even if its a desk job helpin put together the survey. You'll meet a ton of people involved in the industry and start gatherin names and numbers. Thats how I did it.. Gave up to work for the family business but that was plan b.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Registered

the way the economy is going and the slow boat sales, re-po man comes to mind
Old 04-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by copiercat
the way the economy is going and the slow boat sales, re-po man comes to mind
LOL.............DITTO
Old 04-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Registered

Zimm,

Man, I hate to rain on your parade, too, because without passion their is no performance-boat industry. But right now, the high-performance industry on the whole is struggling. New boat sales are off by more than 50 percent at some companies. More than one builder has had lay-offs. Many dealers have a glut of used inventory and unsold new models from 2007.

Right now at least, go-fast boat manufacturing, and pretty much anything to do with it, is not a growth industry.

You are really, really smart in the way you've positioned yourself for a potential career change. The best thing you can do now, in my view, is bide your time, stick with what you're doing and keep your eye on the industry and the economy as a whole. It'll come around. For now, though, the news ain't good.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

if you are a wholesale parts manager for a BMW dealer at 30 years old. you need to stick with that.....

i would have to belive you have job security ,benifits ,401 plan or something and some perks too..

you paid a truck off and are credit card free that is a good spot to be in. if i were you i would hold off and see what happens in the marine industry over the next 18 months or so..save as much money up as you can. and research..

read up on the industry , not just powerboats http://www.proboat.com/

click on "digital issues" and you can read the whole magazine..

with the layoffs at some plants ,others being bought out and shut down ..i'd watch and see. don't f up a good thing that you have right now..

you will always make money in parts...

Last edited by open87; 04-02-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 100-Plus
Zimm,

Man, I hate to rain on your parade, too, because without passion their is no performance-boat industry. But right now, the high-performance industry on the whole is struggling. New boat sales are off by more than 50 percent at some companies. More than one builder has had lay-offs. Many dealers have a glut of used inventory and unsold new models from 2007.

Right now at least, go-fast boat manufacturing, and pretty much anything to do with it, is not a growth industry.

You are really, really smart in the way you've positioned yourself for a potential career change. The best thing you can do now, in my view, is bide your time, stick with what you're doing and keep your eye on the industry and the economy as a whole. It'll come around. For now, though, the news ain't good.

thanks, i really appreciate it, my first goal, like i said is to be debt free, which should happen shortly, i think....about a year or so..i'm not doing this because this is my hobby, my big hobby is motorcyles, then my jet boat....i was told by my brother as well to never make your job your hobby for that reason GO4BROKE, or get your money and honey from the same place. I use to work for Blazer power boats, fishing and center console boat builder in pensacola, i was their head rigger for over a year, although it was all outboards.......i would love to get into the rigging side, maybe even pursue a mercury cert first before i even look into going to florida....has anyone hired people and sponsored them for this? i just love being around good people, small to medium size companies and water.....thanks again for your input, please keep it coming. this has always been a dream for me and I want to pursue it to prove to myself dreams can come true reguardless of the market and sales....to find a job supporting my mortgage and waking up every morning with a smile, seems to be the life for me
Old 04-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

follow your heart.

money and material objects cannot enhance your true inner piece.

if your happiness and passion merge you will truly be content.

Quick Reply: Jobs In The Offshore Industry???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.