Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   211 Liberator vs 230 Chris Craft Scorpion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/113617-211-liberator-vs-230-chris-craft-scorpion.html)

tavis12 10-04-2005 02:59 AM

Re: 211 Liberator vs 230 Chris Craft Scorpion

Originally Posted by cuposterchild
Not sure where you are located but if you are interested in a great riding late 80's performance boat out check out my 22' Pachanga. It really needs nothing and it sounds about what you are looking at. Let me know if you are interested( [email protected] ). Either way good luck.

I was going to say the same thing. I have a 1991 P22, and a friend of mine has a 21' Liberator with a 454, 1986 I think. His Liberator is pretty good in rough water (Lake Superior has a lot of it), but dated: teak all over, big, goofy horns on the bow, and heavy.

I bought a Pachanga and am recommending one, but if I had to choose between the Four Winds and the Chris Craft, I'd go with the Liberator.

Dregsz 10-04-2005 04:01 AM

My First boat was an '80 or '81 Chris Scorpion 230 with a 260 TRS package, thru prop exhaust. The boat did 48mph on speedo with a full tank and 4 people.
I was about 16 at the time, (thanks Dad) and we slalom skied on her every day. No problem pulling any skier out of the water.
Pulled out of the hole just fine.
I thought she was a bit heavy, but not sluggish, so I can't imagine how bad the Lib is if the others are sayiing the Lib is more sluggish then the Scorp.
I lived in Miami at the time. It was before the Intercoastal went all no wake and we'd hunt down big fishing boats for big air and got a lot of it. I would take her out Haulover Inlet all the time and go wave jumping or run cut to cut in 4+ foot without hesitation. There were at least a few times we were out in 6'-8' She did fine but she aint no Cig. (it was the start of my offshore fascination). I can't compare her to the Lib but I thought she did very well in ocean swell.
I recall the foam covered wood header trim did come down in big ocean pounding. I did beat the crap out of that boat as any teenager would but she took it well.
I saw a 22 Pachanga at the Poker Run 2 weeks ago and thought it had good lines and great styling for a boat in that class. The Scorp is a bit chubby in the midwaist line as I recall. The 26 lines flowed a little better.
I would look for a 24 Banana, (I am actually) or 24 Actiator/ Superboat etc. Give up a little cabin but get alot better looking boat and gain alot of speed, 65 w single -75 mph w Twin outboards and come in I/O also.
There are also some 1989 Warlock V Hull 25's avaialable in the low teens w BBC. One caught my eye recently.
Just some thoughts for a more offshore styled boat.

Good Luck

Evan

adam 10-04-2005 06:20 AM

I had a 211,Than gradueted to a formula 242ls. The 211 wasn't quite as tight as the 242 but a very similar ride. the onlything i can tell you about the scorpian is my friend had one and it always seemed to be falling apart, not as well built.

lake lanier jmh 09-12-2010 12:40 PM

chris craft vs. liberator

i have a 83 scorpion and i had a 260 hp merc but i did some simple upgrades like an edelbrock carb.My speeds went to 55 and jumps out of the hole,it is almost impossible to compare any boat to a chris craft the ride is so smooth no matter what water conditions are.It is like comparing a ford truck to a mercedes.

captain girt 09-13-2010 08:00 AM

four winns definetly, without a question