Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Spray Welding (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/113745-spray-welding.html)

sun28 10-06-2005 06:26 AM

Re: Spray Welding

See that you are in Ohio, there is a company here in Dayton OH called Industrial Grinding that does flame spray. Might what to try them, but I have to warn you, they are pricie.
One of the best in the business though, they do alot of work for GE Aircraft Engines, their stuff CAN'T come off.

rv 10-06-2005 07:32 AM

How about spraying a stainless steel coating on the steel prop shaft of a SSM 5 or 6 drive? Will this process work for that application and not effect the strength and temper of the metal. Goal is to eliminate rusting/pitting of the shaft.

Any phone numbers for you guys that do this?

Rick

SLINGSHOT 10-06-2005 09:34 AM

We Can Do It.......shoot Me An Email

baja27 10-06-2005 11:11 AM

Iggy
Does your dad still do plasma spraying? We currently use Plasma coating and are always looking for other vendors.

tizbad4 10-06-2005 06:24 PM

Thanks for all the good info!!! I found a shop in Cecil Ohio that can do plasma spraying they do this all the time and works very well!! RV I am welding the bearing surface on a propshaft for a #4 SSM the place i am using said this is a piece of cake. Will See.......

RedDog382 10-06-2005 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by tizbad4
Thanks for all the good info!!! I found a shop in Cecil Ohio that can do plasma spraying they do this all the time and works very well!!

Must be Hart's. Tell Randy I said HI!

RD

tizbad4 10-06-2005 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Must be Hart's. Tell Randy I said HI!

RD

Yes that wasn't hard, as to there is nothing else in that town.
I will say hi.

Reed Jensen 10-06-2005 09:05 PM

SSM prop shafts had a hard chrome surface where the seal ran. If it's a #3 early shaft... they can be "sleeved" in stainless ( I did this to mine) if they are the later shafts with the splines only on the end... then they will have to be hard chromed and regound. I have a guy that can do that too. AT A REASONABLE PRICE... Call me ( 818 ) 240-2923

rv 10-07-2005 07:00 AM

tizbad4,
I was talking with Matt at TNT or Galen at Speedmasters and he said that when ever they welded on the shaft it would break (especially if it was used in a Cat application). Not sure what type of welding he was referring to, my guess was to fill pits is shaft and regrind for seal surface. Don't know how this differs from what you are having done or the 'spray welding' that is being discussed.

Rick

tizbad4 10-07-2005 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by rv
tizbad4,
I was talking with Matt at TNT or Galen at Speedmasters and he said that when ever they welded on the shaft it would break (especially if it was used in a Cat application). Not sure what type of welding he was referring to, my guess was to fill pits is shaft and regrind for seal surface. Don't know how this differs from what you are having done or the 'spray welding' that is being discussed.

Rick

Yes I also spoke to Galen and he was refering to other welding not spray welding.