Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cig hires Ben Robertson (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/113833-cig-hires-ben-robertson.html)

GLH 10-12-2005 09:53 AM

Re: Cig hires Ben Robertson

Originally Posted by T2x
You're a soft, cuddly, pointed headed Canadian transplant.......

Who are you again???

Originally Posted by T2x
1959 Ray Hunt designs Bertram 31 "moppie" First V step hull (Step refers to longitudinal strakes) Boat immediately wins Miami Nassau race by a huge margin and establishes deep vees as the rough water planing design of choice, combining strength and performance.

1962 Don Aronow creates Formula 233 (copies Bertram with sexier lines) Hailed as a "break through". This makes offshore racing available to more people.

1964 Don Aronow creates Donzi (copies Formula with sexier lines)Hailed as a "break through".

1965 Paul Allison creates the "pad bottom" , first change in Ray Hunt's design that actually meant anything.

1966 Don Aronow creates Magnum (copies Donzi with sexier.etc, Throws a Schultz tunnel hull in for some obscure reason)

1969 Don Aronow creates Cigarette (copies Magnum without the Schultz Hydrokat)

1970 Don Aronow hires John Crouse as PR guy and is immediately Canonized as the second coming of Thomas Edison and Albert Einstein with a little Paul Bunyan thrown in for good measure.

1976 George Linder creates Challenger 21 arguably the greatest Vee bottom ever.

1981 Don Aronow creates The Squadron ( just a copy of Cigarette)

1981 Reggie Fountain aftermarkets Excaliburs, calls them Executioners and becomes the inventor of the Vee bottom....takes out pages of advertizing, and people actually believe him.

1981 Shadow puts a step on the revamped Challenger 21 and creates the world's first production stepped V bottom...admitting that the idea came from 1930's era runabouts and Sea plane floats.... Design is immediately discarded because there is no speed increase and the boat turns dangerously.

1982 Don Aronow creates the Apache 41 (Never gets a good night's sleep again).

1986 Don Aronow creates the "Blue Thunder" and a few years later is found dead of a gun shot wound. Early rumors that irate Blue Thunder owners killed him are squashed when Ben Kramer is implicated(irate Company owner).

1987. Hustler buys old Signature molds and creates new old Signatures.

1988 Fountain Powerboats creates the world's first ugly hook nosed bow and calls it an original "design change"..... and people believe him.

1993 Reggie Fountain invents the "stepped Vee"...again.......claims it's much faster .... and people believe him.

19931/2 Every other Vee bottom manufacturer invents the stepped Vee bottom ...again...
all of them are no faster than older models, but turn worse.

1996 Now that steps are considered State-of -the-Art, manufacturers turn to styling and graphics to jack up prices. Except Reggie who just charges a lot anyway...and people believe him.

1997 Mike Allweiss invents Factory class racing (or maybe it was Gene Whipp), believing that the public wants to watch 37 year old technology with sea plane bottom modifications flailing around in semi hysterical bedlam. This is considered "The Next Great Motorsport". Jersey Speed Skiff racers immediately protest, citing that they have had an exclusive on bizarre racing with antique designs for years.

1998 Manufacturers rise to the challenge and reduce weights in "competition" models to the point where they are useless in both rough and calm water.

1998 Pleasure boaters adopt all of this crap and put it to use in Poker Runs.....

2001. 38' Whiz bang barrel rolls in Atlantic City injuring passenger. Boat has Vee bottom with Steps. Other people report similar mishaps all over the U. S. (World?).

2001 Ray Hunt spins in his grave.

OK got it. :D

T2x 10-12-2005 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by cuda
There are people on this board that would criticize Noah's boat building skill. :rolleyes:

And your point is?

I remember that kid Noah hanging around the shop.......

Talk about a guy who got caught up in "the sky is falling"... He was always after Linder to give him secrets....and George would explain carefully "you'll have to wait until plywood is invented".... or ......"you'll need fibreglass for that and we can't get any until the refineries are opened"..... but no ....the kid kept insisting there was going to be a "flood".....

One day he arrives with a pair of sheep.....so we threw him out.

Who could have predicted how famous the little schmuck would wind up being........?

Truth is there never was a flood.......... He simply built his damn ark 3/4's of the way up Mount Ararat... and left it there laying on its side.

Neat trick......and boy! did he get the PR.

I think Crouse was involved in that one too.

T2x ;)

Ron P 10-12-2005 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by T2x
One day he arrives with a pair of sheep.....so we threw him out. T2x ;)

You sure it was Noah, not Travis??

Fanatic 10-12-2005 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
Who are you again??

A member of the forum just like you, besides with your personal attacks I thought you knew?

Originally Posted by GLH
And what kind of rig do you own again?

Why do you care?

Originally Posted by GLH
People here with worthwhile opinions are known beyond the anonymity of their computer.

Yes, we are going to solve geo political problems here on a boat forum tossing around jokes.

Originally Posted by GLH
I have met and boated with hundreds of them and they all know that I'm an idiot...

That's just great, but I am not interetsed in your personal life or your opinion of yourself.

Originally Posted by GLH
So until you show what you got except theories developed from reading Powerboat in your orthodontist's bathroom.

Maybe you can show me what "theories" I have supposedly put forward that are incorrect?

Originally Posted by GLH
all you are is a knob

You sure seem to have problems. Everyone else here was joking and throwing barbs in good fun then you jump in and start making wrong assumptions and personal attacks. Hey, lose the chip on your shoulder and grow up?

Fanatic 10-12-2005 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by T2x
Son......

Son? Son? Now that's funny.

Originally Posted by T2x
Did I ever tell you that Brownie was directly involved as a founding father of Donzi, Magnum, Cougar, ........etc?

Did I ever tell you I could care less?

Originally Posted by T2x
And comparing Cigarette to Harley Davidson is a very valid argument as both are brands that depict a certain lifestyle and sense of taste.

And so is comparing old technology with new.

Originally Posted by T2x
Perhaps you might rethink your statement?

T2x

Perhaps not. :D

GLH 10-12-2005 12:59 PM

knob

Steve_H 10-12-2005 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fanatic

nothing wrong with joking around especially here..........but, it wouldnt hurt to show a little respect to one of the godfathers of offshore.

Croozin2 10-12-2005 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=T2x]

Originally Posted by Croozin2
Anyway, all Reggie did was take Howard Pipkorn's Hydrostream design (of which Reggie raced many) and stretch it to 42 feet. :D[/QUOTE

To my knowledge Reggie never raced a Hydrostream......He was racing tunnels before Hydrostreams hit the race course..... and certainly didn't step down to the vee bottom classes after that.

Benny, on the other hand, did race in the vee bottom classes...in Allisons.... the pad bottom hull that influenced the original Fountain Executioner....

Hydrostreams , while, unique in many ways, haven't really influenced anything in the Offshore marketplace.

T2x

Easy T2x, just a little misguided jab on my part. I had Randy Scism on the brain when I spoke of the Hydrostream legacy. As was stated earlier by someone else, just a little sparring between the Cig and Fountain crowd. The Fountains do remind me of a 'Stream though. The 17' Vector had the 15' Viper bottom with 2 feet of "beak" added. Coincidence...? ;)

Jamie B. 10-12-2005 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fanatic

Your user name . . Fanatic . . . fanatic about what ? Because it sure appears that it isnt about offshore or its history.

ScottB 10-12-2005 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

1988 Fountain Powerboats creates the world's first ugly hook nosed bow and calls it an original "design change"..... and people believe him.
I beg to differ Old timer, Bill Cooper had that distinction :eek: :drink: