Notices

V-Hull vs. Cat Hull

Old 10-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: V-Hull vs. Cat Hull

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
No 36 Skater is going by a 41 Apache in rough water. 3 to 4 footers yes, but 5 to 6 no way.
We averaged 82 mph around the course in Daytona and it was 8's. I still have the race tapes. If we would have run bigger props we could have gone faster. Curtis did he was running faster, wonder is he still has the tape of when he ran on his side
On the way out to the couse the inlet looked like the pic of Bicardi above, we were looking at the shoes of the teams in front of us, until we got on it and danced across the top.

Another thing no one ever talks about is the throttleman. If he is really good on the sticks then you'll get a different ride than someone that is less talented. I rode with Jerry G a few times, absolutely amazing the talent this man has on the sticks. I've also been in wot tight turns with him, never say a cat can't turn.

Usually people who bash cats are people that have ZERO seat time in a cat or have only run the small cats. Once they get some seat time they understand what cat people are talking about. I spend 99% of my time in a V-bottom always wishing I was back in the cat.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it all depends on what size boat you are looking at. Before the Apache I had a 25 Baja Outlaw. A buddy had a 26 AO Cat. In confused water (most poker runs I run) his cat would hands down be a better ride, in rollers, I'd take my Baja any day. Now I have a 28 Apache, for the size you can't beat the ride but the same theory holds true. Confused water, even though my boat does great the cat of same size will be a better ride, but in 4' rollers I stick with the V. I think around this size is where it gets interesting, a 28 skater will pretty much beat me in any water nomatter what but thats a Skater, other cats with a pad is a different story. Once you get into 36'+ size ...............We'll thats out of my league anyways.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
We averaged 82 mph around the course in Daytona and it was 8's. I still have the race tapes. If we would have run bigger props we could have gone faster. Curtis did he was running faster, wonder is he still has the tape of when he ran on his side
On the way out to the couse the inlet looked like the pic of Bicardi above, we were looking at the shoes of the teams in front of us, until we got on it and danced across the top.

Another thing no one ever talks about is the throttleman. If he is really good on the sticks then you'll get a different ride than someone that is less talented. I rode with Jerry G a few times, absolutely amazing the talent this man has on the sticks. I've also been in wot tight turns with him, never say a cat can't turn.

Usually people who bash cats are people that have ZERO seat time in a cat or have only run the small cats. Once they get some seat time they understand what cat people are talking about. I spend 99% of my time in a V-bottom always wishing I was back in the cat.
82 mph in 8 ft seas! That's a number 6 on the Beaufort scale! That will outperform a 41 Apache.
Safe Boating
Ed
http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?s...8Wind+Speed%29

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 08-29-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ttt
Old 10-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
ttt
I've been wondering this for a few years... what does "ttt" mean?
Old 10-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

to the top......
Old 10-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by knockoff
This is going to seem like a total newbie question but, well, I'm a newbie...

What is the practical difference between a V and Cat hull of the same length? Handling? Stability? Plane out at different speeds? Cruise at different speeds? Fuel efficiency? One can handle bigger waves? One handles chop better? HP requirements?

Thanks.
SEAT TIME!!! SEAT TIME!!! SEAT TIME!!!! If you haven't had this how can you honestly reply?? Listen to the people that have had seat time in both and there your answers are. I have been running a cat for 4 years now and have experienced all kinds of conditions and no reason to go back!!More comfort, faster, more stable,and as far as turns I'm not doing a figure 8 course out there so I have no problem with that. If I could us this thing a little better I'm sure I could come up with a bunch of pic's of v hulls flipped over also!! Bottom line is when your pushing the limits ****s gonna happen....
Old 10-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by pull my trigger
to the top......
Thanks.....
Old 10-11-2005, 07:27 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
I feel in rough Offshore conditions a deep V is superior. Here is a quality Offshore Powerboat heading out into those conditions on the Great Lakes. I hope this helps.
i didn't see too many vee's up front at sarasota last weekend, just a few OL's and a whole bunch of cats....
Attached Thumbnails V-Hull vs. Cat Hull-little-gsmall.jpg   V-Hull vs. Cat Hull-dan-smile.jpg   V-Hull vs. Cat Hull-freedom-crew.jpg  

Old 10-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
i didn't see too many vee's up front at sarasota last weekend, just a few OL's and a whole bunch of cats....
Was Skater in front of MTI?

Quick Reply: V-Hull vs. Cat Hull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.