Notices

V-Hull vs. Cat Hull

Old 10-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: V-Hull vs. Cat Hull

Originally Posted by expresscat39
To each his own.

Some like riding blondes, some like riding brunettes and some don't care what they are riding as long as they are riding. It's all good.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
so many? i bet i can put up 5 vees for every cat you can come up with....

so are we talking racing or pleasure here? if we are talking race boats, i would say it is safe to say that there has been way more vee's get wet than cats over the years.... and pleasure, i know plenty of people who have been pitched by a vee, only a select few in a cat (and the cats were all races)...

have you been in a big cat in the rough? or are you just making assumptions by a few photos of upside down cats?
The statement was if they are so fantastic, why are they upside down? If they are as good as you say then they should not be upside down.
The truth of the matter is I don't even see cats on the water in NJ when it gets rough, but I see Apaches and Cigarettes.
I don't even see them running the rough water in the pics you posted. It looks like they are slowly plodding their way through the rough stuff. Rough water to me is 6 ft and up. The only boats I see handle that well are the 41 Apaches.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
The statement was if they are so fantastic, why are they upside down? If they are as good as you say then they should not be upside down.
The truth of the matter is I don't even see cats on the water in NJ when it gets rough, but I see Apaches and Cigarettes.
I don't even see them running the rough water in the pics you posted. It looks like they are slowly plodding their way through the rough stuff. Rough water to me is 6 ft and up. The only boats I see handle that well are the 41 Apaches.
There is a Cig TG just sold on E-Bay hat flipped in NY at 60 mph. I have seen several V's at Spinnaker that have flipped in the bay.

Apaches are good boats. Very heavy lead sleds. In the Apache V class there is only one boat better thatn a 41 Apache, that is a 47. So, now your 41 is #2.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by expresscat39

Apaches are good boats. Very heavy lead sleds. In the Apache V class there is only one boat better thatn a 41 Apache, that is a 47. So, now your 41 is #2.
Agreed
Old 10-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Registered

Also, Muscle just flipped in one of the most recent races. Article in powerboat.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Mark McManus will not build a boat with steps. He feels that they are unsafe. Might be he has a valid point.........
Old 10-13-2005, 05:09 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

race any boat hard enough and you will find its limitations, that is what racing is isn't it? are you telling me an apache has never been wet? i will agree that a big heavy vee in 6+ footers is a good choice, but its not the only choice... big cats can and will get the job done as well, that is my only point, never rule out a 40+ cat (and you don't see many of those anywhere you go really..) with a good team on the wheel and sticks...

and as far as the pics go, yes those pics we were getting ready to start, so therefore, we weren't running yet, and when we are running, the cameras get put away so you can hang on... the only way to run in the rough in a cat is on top, and that means a lot of air time... the pics of me about 4' in the air was going through the shipping channel and there are others taken by the chopper on that run of big cats running in the big stuff (and yes on the way home from lunch it was 5-7')...

i will still assume that you have never ridden in your water in a big cat since you haven't answered that question, just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't work, i think byrdman is buidling a 46 skater for atlantic city, i am positive he will run it in the rough stuff when he is done.

pic below is 42MTI in his flying MTI...
Attached Thumbnails V-Hull vs. Cat Hull-circum-scism-small.jpg  
Old 10-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by KRAZYKATZ
the only pure number i know is insurance quotes.
Great Point!
A 40ft cat and a 41 Apache with the same power and outdrives and the cat is more costly to insure. Why would that be true if the cat is superior? Safer? Why don't insurance companies feel this way by rewarding the cat owners with better rates?
Old 10-13-2005, 05:21 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Great Point!
A 40ft cat and a 41 Apache with the same power and outdrives and the cat is more costly to insure. Why would that be true if the cat is superior? Safer? Why don't insurance companies feel this way by rewarding the cat owners with better rates?
i think the two biggest factors in insurance are risk and replacement value....and insurance companies use speed to put a number on risk... compare a 160 MPH vee and a 160 MPH cat that have the same dollar value... (i only know of a few vees even capable of those speeds, and they aren't apaches) take any 750k + vee that runs those speeds and call your insurance agent and see what your rate would be....

so trying to use insurance rates to prove how a cat can or cannot handle the rough is pretty lame..
Old 10-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sean H
race any boat hard enough and you will find its limitations, that is what racing is isn't it? are you telling me an apache has never been wet? i will agree that a big heavy vee in 6+ footers is a good choice, but its not the only choice... big cats can and will get the job done as well, that is my only point, never rule out a 40+ cat (and you don't see many of those anywhere you go really..) with a good team on the wheel and sticks...

and as far as the pics go, yes those pics we were getting ready to start, so therefore, we weren't running yet, and when we are running, the cameras get put away so you can hang on... the only way to run in the rough in a cat is on top, and that means a lot of air time... the pics of me about 4' in the air was going through the shipping channel and there are others taken by the chopper on that run of big cats running in the big stuff (and yes on the way home from lunch it was 5-7')...

i will still assume that you have never ridden in your water in a big cat since you haven't answered that question, just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't work, i think byrdman is buidling a 46 skater for atlantic city, i am positive he will run it in the rough stuff when he is done.

pic below is 42MTI in his flying MTI...
I see 40 foot cats in NJ, just not in the rough 6ft plus water, and no I have never been in one in those conditions. Byrdman will really be interesting to watch, Especially against the Apaches in the rough stuff. I better get a movie camera.

Quick Reply: V-Hull vs. Cat Hull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.