Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Camden race from one of the SOB's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114078-camden-race-one-sobs.html)

OceanmarineB 10-12-2005 09:24 AM

Re: Camden race from one of the SOB's

Sharkey Thanks, Herb was really somethin out there. I'm doin a few things to my boat over winter to hopefully make it perform a little better in rough water. First thing i'm doing is taking that little 200 off because i cant even reach the speed restricion with it. I'm going to put a 300 promax on with minimal setback and perhaps some Trim Tabs maybe Mercury racing 300's. I really hope that we get some SOB's out there next year and have our own class. Are there meetings i should attend to maybe support the SOB class? Thanks again Shakey

SHARKEY-IMAGES 10-12-2005 09:54 AM

Brandon,

I would hope that a meeting or two would come out of this.

Especially if the SOB's do produce a number of boats to support their own class.

Decisions should be made for the class as far as rules if the average speed is not used.

There were some suggestions if they were not to have a max speed for the class, to possibly limit the engines up to a 2.5s.

With the speed bracket, everyone can run what they brung.

So, with no speed restriction, you sort of alienate the 300X owners. :(
But I feel it is best to get anyone that has interest in the class together to find out what the racer's want.
We have done this in the past, and the only thing I think that we weren't able to provide was FREE RACING.
As you know, that has been resolved thanks to John Haggin of the AMF Offhsore Racing Team.
So even though we had two boats for the Class in Camden, it seems to have gotten some great feedback.
Afterall, look at the amount of people that have come out in support of you and Herb on this board and SnF.
This could be a great start of something good! :drink:

OceanmarineB 10-12-2005 10:24 AM

Well i hope we can have some meetings about this soon. I think the 2.5 would be a good choice. But it seems most guys are running the 300's now. What rules did they use for the class back in the day "A" class?

OceanmarineB 10-12-2005 10:27 AM

Also did anybody video tape the race? if so how can i get a copy?

SHARKEY-IMAGES 10-12-2005 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by OceanmarineB
Well i hope we can have some meetings about this soon. I think the 2.5 would be a good choice. But it seems most guys are running the 300's now. What rules did they use for the class back in the day "A" class?

That is why it is best to get everyone together to find what everyone can agree on.

Figure out if the 2.5 can be competitive to a 300X or will they get blown away. The water kicks up and can sometimes level the playing field.

The A-Class was Pre-Internet popularity. May have to find someone that may have the old paperwork laying around in their offshore chest..... :drink:
Billy Frenz may even have it!

SHARKEY-IMAGES 10-12-2005 10:34 AM

I don't think so. I got some video on my website but it was towards the end of the P-1,2&3 Class.
I didn't know how much memory I was going to burn up with it, so I only got stills of the 1st race.

mmwalters 10-12-2005 10:37 AM

Sharkey Do I understand you correctly, in 2006 the OPA races will have no fee? Hence Free? Is AMF stepping up to support the complete season? Wow, that would be great I would except more boats especially in the smaller classes. Camden indicated as much. I counted 20 or more boats in the first start

SHARKEY-IMAGES 10-12-2005 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by mmwalters
Sharkey Do I understand you correctly, in 2006 the OPA races will have no fee? Hence Free? Is AMF stepping up to support the complete season? Wow, that would be great I would except more boats especially in the smaller classes. Camden indicated as much. I counted 20 or more boats in the first start

That's what I was told. They made the announcement at the Driver's Meeting on Saturday.

You can confirm with OPA 732-920-3945.

But that was the impression I walked away with....

1waterboy1 10-12-2005 12:01 PM

The NPBA 'A' Class became the APBA Sportsman 'A' Class .As has been mentioned before, the allowance of single big block inboards basically pushed out all the single outboards.When US Offshore was formed the single outboard class was resurected and called Factory 'F'.The 21-22ft boats were allowed a stock 2.5 or a modified 200....while the 24ft boats were allowed to run a 300 if I remember correctly.Eventually, a stock 454 inboard boat was allowed in 'F' Class.The outboards would do very well most of the time, but in the rougher ocean races the inboards would dominate.At its peak in 1994 there were 12 boats in class.The class was discontinued in 1995 in an effort to streamline the classes and have racers move up.Anyway....in an effort to keep the costs and speeds down in the "entry level" range; a maximum of 2.5 would seem to be the way to go.What does everyone else think?

DPT MOTORSPORTS 10-12-2005 12:23 PM

Here is a suggestion. for the guys that run the 300X's next year if they are running away from everyone change there engine height or add weight to them to slow them down. I would look to use a 2.4 or 2.5 Merc Offshore Race motor. While the 2.5 may no longer be available after this year I am told you could still piece one together through Mercury. I would try to limit the guys with 300X's as I feel it is a wrong direction to an affordable class. The idea would be to get as many out there next year for minimal $$$$$'s.

Sorry just had to add my .02 cents.