Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Had To Lay Off 1/2 Of My Crew Last Week (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114121-had-lay-off-1-2-my-crew-last-week.html)

Bullhead 10-11-2005 12:12 PM

Re: Had To Lay Off 1/2 Of My Crew Last Week

Taz, I feel your pain....My lumber manufacturing company just lost a several million dollar contract to China...the product was going into one of the big box stores...they don't care where they get their products from as long as it's cheaper...pretty soon it won't matter how much they lower the price to the consumers...there aren't going to be any jobs to pay for products

The Menace 10-11-2005 03:58 PM

Don't worry, in an article published today, congress is going to place tariffs on all China imports. Who benefits? Our government! All the tariff goes right into their general fund.

The U.S. trade deficit with China reached $162 billion last year, an all-time high with any country.

The U.S. Congress has reacted to the trade gap with calls for more forceful action. One measure with widespread support would impose 27.5 percent tariffs on all Chinese imports unless Beijing allows its currency to rise further in value against the dollar.

Sen. Charles Schumer (news, bio, voting record), D-N.Y., said if China does not begin letting the yuan rise in value, the bill's co-sponsors will demand a vote before Congress adjourns next month.

formula31 10-11-2005 05:11 PM

Ill pass this on to our purchasing peoples. We outsource most of the screwmachine work locally. Bettcher Industries.

articfriends 10-11-2005 05:32 PM

I feel your pain Ron,My transmission business is dead right now too. I usually gross 10-15$ k a month,the last 2 months I been doing 2-3$k a month. My suppliers are calling wondering if I'm mad at them and took My business somewhere else.Our area is pretty dependent on GM and Delphi,now with their bankruptcy looming NO ONE is spending any money. Ive been selling off some spare boat parts and stuff I no longer need to help my cash flow.This economy is here to stay for a while too so we all have to tighten up and support our local businesses,Smitty

WILDTHING TAZ 10-11-2005 07:10 PM

NO I DO NOT HAVE SALESMEN ON THE ROAD. MY ONLY PRODUCT IS MY OWN. WE MANUFACTURE AFTER MARKET OEM REPLACEMENT PARTS TO FIT HARLEY DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLES. I AM THE LARGEST MANUFACTURER IN THE MARKET. WITH OVER 700 PART NUMBERS. WE NOW HAVE TO START QUOTING OUTSIDE WORK. WE HAVE A MACHINE LIST OF

7- 1 1/4 ACME 6 SPINDLE AUTOMATIC SCREW MACHINES
2- 2 5/8 ACME 6 SPINDLE AUTOMATIC SCREW MACHINES
1- 3/4 ACME 8 SPINDLE AUTOMATIC SCREW MACHINE
7- 1 5/8 BROWN & SHARP ULTRAMATIC RAM SLIDE SINGLE SPINDLES
1- 3/4 " " " " " " "
10- 1 1/4 2G BROWN & SHARP AUTOMATIC SCREW MACHINE
8 3/4 OG " " " " "
2 CINNCI CENTER LESS GRINDERS
1 BLANCHARD GRINDER
2 26" NORTON HYPROLAP'S
7 MILLING MACHINES
2 SUNNEN HONES
2 HARDINGE SECONDARY LATHES
1 18 x36 BETWEEN CENTER GRINDER
1 NORTON ID GRINDER
2 SNOW TAPPERS
1 15 KVA INDUCTION MACHINE

WITH THIS LIST YOU CAN SEE WE ARE ABLE TO PRODUCE ABOUT ANYTHING IN SCREW MACHINE PRODUCTS. WE ARE NOT ISO CERTIFED
BUT HAVE A COMPLETE INSPECTION ROOM. WITH ALL MICS, PLUG GAUGES, THREAD GAUGES, OPTICAL COMPARATOR, JOE BLOCKS, ROCKWELL TESTER, ECT.

BENDER CYCLE & MACHINE CORP.
1476 E. 359th STREET
EASTLAKE, OHIO 44095

PHONE 440-946-0681 FAX 440-946-5248 CELL 216-390-1330

WE WILL QUOTE LONG OR SHORT RUNS AT THIS TIME WE CAN'T BE PICKY IN THESE TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS RON BENDER

waybomb 10-11-2005 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by formula31
Ill pass this on to our purchasing peoples. We outsource most of the screwmachine work locally. Bettcher Industries.

Not to hijack - but - formula31's account won't accept PMs.
Formula31 - Bettcher Industries - the company manufacturing Whizzard Knives and AirSheerz?

formula31 10-11-2005 07:20 PM

Yup, thats me. Do all the field research and development.

frequentflyer 10-11-2005 07:30 PM

Same thing is happening in the Information Technology business. Everything is being outsourced to India and now China is getting into the game and I heard was going to eventually (very soon) will be undercutting India. If this trend continues, our middle class will disapear. Things are getting pretty bad folks.

CMG 10-11-2005 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by frequentflyer
Same thing is happening in the Information Technology business. Everything is being outsourced to India and now China is getting into the game and I heard was going to eventually (very soon) will be undercutting India. If this trend continues, our middle class will disapear. Things are getting pretty bad folks.

My wife's company has a fab in China, their costs are increasing now. there is more work than workers (almost any ways) and it takes more and more for companies to compete for labor. just wait til they unionize :eek:

Breathe Later 10-11-2005 08:39 PM

Wildthing,

Your machinery list sounds like so many other auction listings I get every week. No CNC equip? I'm in OH tonight travelling from IL at 3:30 am Mon to provide tech support in Dayton. I heard about the Delphi situation constantly Mon am. Given your equip. listing, can you honestly say that you have remained competitive in the marketplace? I'd love to have a newer boat, but instead elect to "stay hungry" with a lesser boat. Our competion (China) do not have our "distractions" and will continue to make inroads as long as we permit.

Regards,

Mark S.