Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Had To Lay Off 1/2 Of My Crew Last Week (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114121-had-lay-off-1-2-my-crew-last-week.html)

Breathe Later 10-11-2005 08:52 PM

Re: Had To Lay Off 1/2 Of My Crew Last Week

Also, I've been seeing alot of good quality out of China. Hate to admit it, but it's true. Those people don't work to live, they live to work. Our unions and demands for medical insurance, special considerations for workers with kids, etc. are our downfall. My company has no fewer than 5 starting hours: 5am,6 am, 7:30 am, 8:30 am 10 am, for all those who need special consideration for their kids. It's really disruptive when, Mon. am (5-10am) everyone must spin their yarn regarding sports, soccer, gymnastics, cheerleading, etc. USA will never be a leader again until we get back to basics.

epeek 10-11-2005 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Breathe Later
Wildthing,

Your machinery list sounds like so many other auction listings I get every week. No CNC equip? I'm in OH tonight travelling from IL at 3:30 am Mon to provide tech support in Dayton. I heard about the Delphi situation constantly Mon am. Given your equip. listing, can you honestly say that you have remained competitive in the marketplace? I'd love to have a newer boat, but instead elect to "stay hungry" with a lesser boat. Our competion (China) do not have our "distractions" and will continue to make inroads as long as we permit.

Regards,

Mark S.

China has slave labor,no enviromental laws,no trillion
doller social programs. Translation...low cost goods.
They are the new Japan. Remember when the cheap
$hit all came from Japan?? Then the Japanese people
wanted to live like humans. Now they are like us. 30
years from know China will be traveling the same road.
Problem is our government needs to negotiate fairer
trade pacts,but as usual they dont do whats good for
our people,just themselves. I still think there are alot
opertunities in the U.S. You have to stay on the cutting
edge though.

Breathe Later 10-11-2005 09:04 PM

epeek,

You are absolutely correct! At least powerboating has very few Chinese components!

WILDTHING TAZ 10-11-2005 09:54 PM

NO I NEVER GOT INTO CNC'S IM TO OLD TO PAY THE PRICE AND THE COST OF LEARNING ISN'T CHEAP. PRODUCEING A PRODUCT LINE AS I DO WE HAVE DONE PRETTY GOOD OVER THE YEARS. BUT THE ECONOMY IS NOW KILLING US. I TURNED FIFTY ON THE 3rd AND THANK GOD IM NOT 25. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MY KIDS ARE GOING TO DO. BUT WE CAN RUN FOR A LITTLE LESS BECAUSE WE ARE STILL PRODUCING OUR PRODUCT LINE. WHICH DOES MAKE A FEW DOLLARS MORE THAN THE AVERAGE JOB SHOP. IV BEEN DOING THIS WORK SINCE I WAS 12 WORKING FOR MY FATHER. WITH SOME OUTSIDE WORK RUNNING FOR A LITTLE LESS & PRODUCT LINE FOR A LITTLE MORE IT SHOULD AVERAGE OUT. RB

BBB725 10-11-2005 10:04 PM

Thanks for the update I'll see if there something out there. As far as not being "CNC", depending on the product the multi spindle screw machine can produce a part alot faster and a better price than a CNC lathe just need a certain product niche

hillbilly24 10-11-2005 10:18 PM

We all need to stop blaming everyone else for our economic problems, they are our own fualt. WE buy the overseas product, WE shop at wallmart who is one fo the driving forces of our economic dowfall, WE don't support American buissneses. We all need to stop crying and fix the problem ourselves, I don't want our government to fix it for us, I don't want to depend on them for anything, it's not their job if you ask me it's ours. We have all the power in the world to fix these problems yet we can't go out of our way to do it. I primarlily buy American products, ther are some things like dirt bikes, electronics, guns and so on that are better made in other countries and I am willing to buy them. I would never coonsider buying a tool or part that was not made in America unless there is no alternantive and then I may just make it myself if I can. I have not shopped at Wallmart in over 3 years and refuse to step foot on their property. I don't deal with companys that out source their tech support or anything elese if I can help it. This takes alot of time and research on my part prior to making a purchase but I think it what we all need to start doing if this is going to get better any time soon.

Raceangel77 10-12-2005 03:17 AM

Hang in there buddy,

Been there and done it but we bounced back .
America has had it better than the UK , and our manufacturing in the last two years has declined by 20% , but the tide is turning. China has problems , and deliveries are late and the quality poor. I know I have worked there.
A supplier of ours imported 2,000,000 brass washers , only problem was that they had no hole in the middle. We all make mistakes ( we Do) but not on this scale. The list goes on.

we have a shop of CNC machines 8 to be exact. They are great but i can tell you that thay cannot do what an auto can do. We have now bought manual capstans because they are versatile.And in a down turn in the market you can react fatser for small batches and people will pay a premium for this. Talk to your customers or new ones find out thier problems and create a service package to help them you will be surprised.

Try adding value with finishes etc. Why not adapt your fasteners for the marine industry and sell handy multi packs for boating uses at sensible prices. All you need to do is put an advert on this site. Just ideas but you never know

If you get a common theme from your customers ,send out flyers to any and everyone you will be suprised what comes from it. The KPM group of companies supply to the marine and high quality sports car market . Because of the lack of skills in machinists we have bought people out of retirement to train younger apprentices.

Dont worry about the ISO 9000 , your customers dont when they buy from china.The system does not stop rubbish being made , it only tells you when the rubbish was made.???

I know what you are feeling but stay strong and keep your eyes open an opportunity will come along. KPM always ensure that its products are sourced from the US or UK. If we have this policy I am sure that others will as well in the USA

KPM are trying to increase its US content in its products you may be able to help us. Please email me and we can see if we can help
jules morgan
CEO KPM

Raceangel77 10-12-2005 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Breathe Later
epeek,

You are absolutely correct! At least powerboating has very few Chinese components!

Hate to say it but this is not the case, you will be surprised. Many parts that you think are made in the usa are not. If a company subcontracts a part then that subcontractor will find the most profitable method of making it and then pass it on to a chinese or indian subcontractor. We see this all the time when parts dont fit
jules

scarrab30 10-12-2005 04:18 AM

I am in agreement with hillbilly. Ive felt this way for a long time. I wont buy a foriegn car, If it isnt american like i am i dont want it. This same stuff is going on in the trucking industrie. The younger generations dont understand what it means to be american or be a patriot. Brian

gsmith9898 10-12-2005 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by scarrab30
I am in agreement with hillbilly. Ive felt this way for a long time. I wont buy a foriegn car, If it isnt american like i am i dont want it. This same stuff is going on in the trucking industrie. The younger generations dont understand what it means to be american or be a patriot. Brian

The most american car made with american made parts is a chrysler with 28% being made in the usa. Our goverment over the years has sold us out little by little. I don't blame the ceo of the companys that out source. I blame the goverment for not penalizing them when the product is shipped back in. The ceos job is to make the share holders money not rebuild america. If I'm the ceo of a company and my bean counters tell me that I can double my profit by out sourcing to another country and I don't do it, than I should be fired! It is up to our goverment to step in and say , not so fast. When you ship your product back in to the usa, you will pay DEARLY.