Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ext'd Warranty & Ethics Question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114183-extd-warranty-ethics-question.html)

BGIII 10-12-2005 08:05 AM

Re: Ext'd Warranty & Ethics Question

Isn't this a brand new dealer that very well may have made a mistake? I'd be leary of anyone who tries to raise the price after the deal but if it was a completely honest mistake and they can prove it, I'd be worried about their representation of me in the event of a warranty claim if you tell them to totally suck eggs on the deal. In your other thread, they seem like they are working hard to make you happy with your purchase, I would doubt they are trying to screw you.

Mbam 10-12-2005 08:53 AM

Actually the prices on my site are out of date, the current list for the 496 (5 additional years) is $3250, the HO is $6200

This is for the Mercury Product Protection. The dealer is paid retail price for labor & most parts, even though the labor is at Merc's flat rate time.

Any questions you can call the consumer information line at 888 427 5373

hpoffshore 10-12-2005 09:30 AM

There is a significant difference between Mag & MagHO "Mercury Product Protection" pricing. Also, try finding yourself a Premier Dealer to help you out. There's a significant difference there, as well. I've seen Mercury cover an amazing amount motor & drive work, including 496 MagHO power packages. If you're gonna' upgrade later, get an extra year or two....if you decide to switch boats, the Warr. is transferrable, and gives confidence to the new owner.
Hugh

Oh Deere 10-12-2005 09:38 AM

In my opinion, that would be lunch for the dealer. I would have a tough time convincing a customer to bring his contract back in because one of my salesmen or sales manager f*&&d up on the pricing. You got a deal. You and the dealer will feel better about it when you decide to make some upgrades to the 496's.

Magicfloat 10-12-2005 12:58 PM

There is some confusion about Brunswick Product Protection. There are 2 companies,one is the original Merc program, the other is Passport,recently acquired by Brunswick. Passport is a little cheaper,and Mags and HO's are same price,like LR said. I have found the coverage almost identical,both brochures read almost the same. One thing to remember is neither one is as liberal as the original one year Merc warranty(2 years from a certified builder) but still pretty good coverage. I get a few turn downs but my experience has been mostly positive(I said "mostly") :cool:The other deal is more cut and dried. They made a deal,it is their problem,they should eat it. I screw up on deals all the time,but if I'm the one that misfigured,I take the hit.A deal is a deal. What if you had told them you made an error in deciding how much you could afford? Would they cut the price after the deal was made? Same thing IMHO.

LIOPA 10-12-2005 01:04 PM

Both arguments are valid.....A "DONE DEAL IS A DONE DEAL" as well as mistakes do happen. 2800.00 is a great deal for the coverage. Try to split the difference and you both win.

$2200.00 and be done. If you both agree.

Sydwayz 10-12-2005 02:35 PM

As Craig eluded to, I have been holding off on this one. I have twin 496HOs with Mercury 5 Year Q-Guard warranties. I had an outdrive upper gear set failure one of my XZs last year. That was covered with no issues. I think you are getting a great deal on the warranty price wise, at either price. Its much below what I spent, and I got them at my dealer's cost (a very good friend).

This year, I had a massive gimble/bell housing failure resulting in damage to my upper case, trim cylinder, coupler, and a few other tidbits. I have been denied coverage 3X by Mercury. I am currently undertaking the written appeals process. My insurance company states there is no impact damage to the boat, so this is not coverable due to a collision with an object. My mechanic agrees with this assessment. So, where does this leave me right now? FOOKED and so far out of pocket several thousand dollars, as well as borrowing an upper from a good friend.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...rcury+warranty

BajaFresh 10-12-2005 10:44 PM

Brian, has merc stated the reason for denial? Are they claiming impact? Good luck with it, hope they come through for you.

Still undecided on what to do but am leaning towards going with the warranty. From what everyone is saying, sounds like a good price. Maybe I'll see if I can get them to throw in some extras like another prop or something. Can't really think of anything I need that I don't already have. Maybe a Bimini.

Sydwayz 10-12-2005 11:33 PM

Mercury first claimed that I hit something at speed. When pictures were forwarded to Mercury showing no damage to the lower unit or prop, they then claimed that I backed into something at speed. I once again asked them how this could happen with no damage to the cavitation plate, or prop. This drive had some kind if issue for a while (trimming, as it was now known to be binding side to side). I had it examined by a certified HP Mercury Tech, and the only thing that was visibly wrong externally (and corrected) was a loose trim cylinder forward pin/bolt. I have it all documented, and it is still not flying. I am stuck right now.

If you bought a brand new Pontiac, and the rear spoiler flew off the car, who would be responsible to fix the damage? Your dealer would say call your insurance company. Your insurance company would say call your dealer/manufacturer. I am in in the same pickle. My stuff broke, plain and simple.

All in all, I believe in warranty. However, I am getting fooked at the moment and the money I forked out for the warranty could have covered my broken drive last year, and this break.