Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Question regarding offshore boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114237-question-regarding-offshore-boats.html)

chuck21401 10-15-2005 10:54 AM

Re: Question regarding offshore boats

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ScottB
The 24 Pantera is agreat rough water boat, I know, I own one.
But if you are boating with the whole Family constantly and you need comfort, speed, etc. I personally would be looking for a clean older Formula
24 LS or SS

Like my 1989 242LS with a 454 magnum. Only $13.5K!

This boat is slower though, but hey with a $20K budget, just ad a 502 mag and you'll be good to go :)

chuckbeecher 10-15-2005 07:21 PM

Go with a 25 Active Thunder..you will never regret it. Deep cockpit, drp down bolsters really nice cabin ..and rides like a 28-30 ft boat.

nolimits 10-16-2005 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by chuck21401
Like my 1989 242LS with a 454 magnum. Only $13.5K!

This boat is slower though, but hey with a $20K budget, just ad a 502 mag and you'll be good to go :)

When you look at a boat 16 years old that looks that sweet, you really haveto hand it to Formula.....

FASTERDAMITT 10-17-2005 10:29 AM

That is nice! Update the color and it will look as good as most comming out of the molds in that catagory today. Nice lines.

PARMENTIER123 10-17-2005 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by nolimits
The H2X is a lake boat built for speed. Exactly what you do not want. 232 ands 272 are good choices too. Not the same hull as the outlaw and not quite as good in the rough stuff, but still very respectable. I don't agree that two small blocks in a boat "that size" is what you want. The additional weight spread across the stern makes it less agile and in some conditions you are more likely to surface a prop. Want to experiment with prop, it's times two. Two engines to change oil in, two drives to change oil in, two systems to winterize and tune. Do the math, it costs and two small blocks is not faster than one 502 mpi. Keep it simple, one works great and it is less gas. You might be able to limp home but probably should call sea tow anyway. The 25 Outlaw with a single 502 mpi handles very very well and is cheap fun. You would be surprised at what you have to spend to better it.

My 25 weighed 3500 dry. Oh yea, the outlaw is measure without including the length of the swim platform. That means you get as much water line as a 272..

good point on the maintenance and cost. maybe not a good fit.. although, you must admit that a twin rides smoother and less chining. when you drop the hammer in a twin at 3,000 rpm's it puts you back in your seat - even small blocks. 2 props are better than one for feeling fun......my true 26 weighs a whopping 5500 dry w/540hp an still gets 66 stock and is very smooth. also, sink, pump-out head..can be written off...can't do that with a 3500 lb outlaw.. ..I like bajas, but my twin wellcraft rides much better and small block magnums are bullet proof. just wanted to throw that point out there if ride and reliability are important.....test drive both config's.....sounds like your getting good info, but don't lock on baja...look, look and look more..many good boats out there....

chrisf 10-18-2005 12:59 PM

This thread has saved me a lot of time in getting the RIGHT information, not salesman talk which I appreciate. Talked to the wife, open to the upgrade, not excited about it (have to sell this one). I am going take this purchase slow as I said before, so I will probably line up a test drive at the Baja dealer in a couple of weeks. Boat show in Los Angeles is in January, so timing on all of this is good. I am not limiting myself to Baja only, but they seem to be the McDonald's of offshore boating. I DO NOT MEAN CHEAP AND BAD, I MEAN GENERALLY ACCEPTED STANDARD AND AVAILABLE MOST EVERYWHERE, BOTH DEALERS AND USED BOATS.

A couple more questions.

Deadrise: Doing some research, I think my Bayliner has a 19 degree deadrise. Most OL have 24 degree deadrise, the 232's have 23 degree deadrise. Is that a big difference? Think SoCal, 1-2' wind waves with 3-4' swells.

For now, looking at the 23 outlaw, and the 232. I would love to go bigger, but storage and truck towing limitation dictate for the term of my auto lease. Frankly, the wife will never sign off on the upgrade without a windshield, so that limits me to the 232, I think. Help me out here on models, I am confused.

232 Islander has what deadrise?

232 Performance is different than Islander?

Any other Baja models with Windshield, are they always an option on any Baja?

Any bad 232 Model years to stay away from?

What is Boss, what is Hammer, graphics only option or hull design differences?

Can anyone verify EXACT gross weight of 232 with trailer and gas.

Can anyone verify EXACT gross length of 232 with trailer and tongue

Like I said, before, kids will only take about 40MPH on the Bayliner. Any 5 year old sons out there doing 50 or 60MPH with a good confort level, or is that just too young?

Thanks again,

Chris

dave911 10-18-2005 01:31 PM

Don't let the lack of a windshield on an Outlaw slow you down. The boats are deep, and wind will go right over her head (especially sitting down).

wantsa311 10-18-2005 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by chrisf
... And that being said, do you guys trust out of state surveyers, or do you hop on a plane and fly there for the weekend?

I would never plunk down my money unless I saw and drove something as expensive as a boat. A survey is necessary but in my opinion you have to look at it first yourself then decide if you are really interested.

It took me almost a year to find my Formula SR1-311 and I flew to Florida, New York, and New Jersey during the search. Flights are (were) cheap if you are willing to take connecting flights and fly during non-peak times. I finally found a great deal deal on a really nice 1988 boat and I love it.

That said, I think lots of other guys do buy sight unseen.

chrisf 11-02-2005 06:15 PM

Still focusing on Bajas. Supply is limited. I want everyones opinion on a 1998 232 Islander with a 454 (310hp I think). Any problems with the model or the model year or engine. During my research, the 1998 232 specs 23 degree deadrise. I vowed to find a 24 degree, but not having good luck.

Coming from my 19-20 degree transom on my Bayliner, is a one degree difference that big for offshore ride, considering it is a small 23 foot boat in the first place?

This one has bottom paint, any way to remove it to speed up the boat, or just leave it for protection?

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris

Bill272 11-02-2005 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by chrisf
Like I said, before, kids will only take about 40MPH on the Bayliner. Any 5 year old sons out there doing 50 or 60MPH with a good confort level, or is that just too young?

Thanks again,

Chris

With my previous Formula 272 and current 336, if I was doing 40, my 5 year old (now 9) daughter would say "Punch it, Dad!" :D

My vote here would be to go back to the Formula 242. For the best of both worlds, see if you can find a 242SS model. Same hull, same 24 deg. deadrise, but the windshield is moved forward with a smaller cuddy to give a huge cockpit for this size boat.

http://www.boattraderonline.com/deal....html?80902892