Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Question regarding offshore boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114237-question-regarding-offshore-boats.html)

chrisf 10-12-2005 04:34 PM

Question regarding offshore boats

I am a newbie to this forum but have had boats for years. Currently have a Bayliner 21' V8 that has a top speed of 55mph. I am thinking of going into the offshore category. While the top speed suits me just fine, the quality of ride I am receiving is getting real old. I am thinking that since all I have is a glorified "ski" boat, the deadrise and hull design are not really suited for quick speeds in the Southern California Pacific Ocean. I am currently looking at 2 kinds of boats, a 22' Scarab and 21-25' Baja. Questions: Will looking at these boats with a sharper V help the quality of ride at quick speeds, be more safe for my children at those speeds, and help with the "kidney pounding" I take when I get the boat out of the water, or am I barking up the wrong tree and no matter what I buy, at 50mph it is going to hurt. Another question, opinions on the above 2 boat models would be great, as well as other manufacturers/models suggestions. I am probably going to buy used, so any "reject" models of any year would be great to be aware of. Thank you in advance.

Chris

thedonz 10-12-2005 04:50 PM

Re: Question regarding offshore boats

I WOULDN'T GET RID OF THE BAYLINER ESPECIALLY WITH A V8 THAT'S THE BEST OFFSHORE BOAT AROUND :evilb: LOOK INTO THE 28 PANTERA 28 APACHE 28 CIGARETTE ALL DEPENDS WHAT YA WANT TO SPEND THE SKY IS THE LIMIT BUT KEEP THE BAYLINER THERE'RE GREATTTT :evilb:

JR

Sydwayz 10-12-2005 04:51 PM

From your choices, you would definately want to pick up a 25' Baja. I would recommend a 26' Sonic over the 25' Baja though. (They are the same hull size, as the Sonic has a molded in swim platform counted as length.) The Sonic will run a bit better in the rougher ocean. I doubt there are any in your area, but a 25' Active Thunder would trump both of them.

chrisf 10-12-2005 05:35 PM

Thanks for the response. Let me give you more detail. I want to spend between 20 and 30 k for a 1990-2003 22-25'boat. I want to go with a 6.2 (377) engine as a minimum, but probably will have to settle on a 350 MAG type because of the price. My big concern is making this change from the Bayliner, and aside from getting up to 60-65mph, there will not be much difference in quality of ride, plus having to deal with a lot less space. The pounding is getting to everyone in my family. I am also unhappy with the lack of "solid" feel of the boat. Before everyon pounds Bayliner, I know it is not the best quality, I just have this feeling if I was in a 20' Chapperal, I would have the same lack of "solid" feel. That is what pushed me to look at offshore boats, thinking there build quality will give me that sports car ride feel I want. I know size matters for what I want, so 28 or 32' would be a great ride, but I am limited to storage space of about 25' inlcluding trailer. I do not want the "through hull" sound, just the power. The little research I did found that Baja and Scarab are big players in this size space. But I am also aware of smaller players like Dominator, Cheetah, Advantage, but they seem more expensive. If you had to choose a boat based not on speed but just quality of chop ride for Socal Pacific Ocean, which mfr would you look at, taking into consideration ample supply of used boats to find it!

Again thanks for all the responses.

Chris

thedonz 10-12-2005 05:56 PM

24 Pantera :evilb: :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

JR

Stormrider 10-12-2005 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by thedonz
24 Pantera :evilb: :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

JR

Nice choice. :cool:

dave911 10-12-2005 10:02 PM

My 18 footer is 23 feet overall with the outdrive and the trailer tongue. Your 21 footer is probably at 25 feet. You need to re-examine your true storage space size, then move forward. All said and done, I'd go '98 (or newer) Baja Outlaw...although you should look at the entire line of Baja's that may be more suited to family boating (242 Islander I think?).

cgarrett 10-12-2005 11:55 PM

chrisf,
I have a 24 Superboat that would meet your size and price range. But with that said this thing is a running SOB that goes 80mph and if you push it to those speeds you might need to lash the kids in so they do not blow out. :D

In the classifieds.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-6779.html

Cordell

Iggy 10-13-2005 05:26 AM

I'll tell you this, in a 21 footer the ride will be "better" with a real deep-V, but it'll still be rough. If you want to smooth the ride you need look larger and heavier.
I have a 21' Formula F206 with a 350MAG. We boat on the area lakes in Florida. Some days the wind will really whip the lake into 3'+ white-caps and the waves are close together. Even the deep-V rides like a truck in these conditions. It will pound the hell out of us. I've tried various speeds in these conditions and while faster is better, the boat is on the outer edge of control. Not a comfortable place to be.

Good luck in your search.

East Coast B 10-13-2005 05:36 AM

Everyone goes through this transition stage and the normal story, though not everyone, goes up a few feet only to find out it's still not what they are looking for.

It comes down to the wallet and the comfort level of towing, storing and handling a larger boat.

Best advice.... Get out and personally feel the ride quality of various length boats, different size engines and so on. Visit dealers, go to the boat shows, go to the in water demo days and get as much ride time as you can on various boats so you can make an educated purchase of your next boat. Get into bigger boats that you probably aren't interested in, just for learning experience if anything. Boats aren't cheap and they aren't easy to turn around when your no longer happy with them.

My story is the same as yours as is many other people here, had many smaller boats, went to a 22, 26 and now a 31 which is finally a boat that gives me the ride comfort and room to satisfy our needs. The 22 and 26 footers didn't last long, we really out grew them quickly. Finally, we opted to go larger but older to keep the price down, yet get us into what really worked for the water conditions.

I had a 22 scarab, awesome boat, quick, not very much room, will give you a better ride than your current boat, but it is definitely not a boat for heading out an inlet unless it's a really nice perfect day. If your intentions are to head out an inlet to the ocean, get something with a nice solid hull in front of you.

Again, can't stress enough the importance of getting some seat time on various models and lengths of boats. I think it will help you zero in on what is going to work for what you ultimately want to do.

Hope you the best and Good luck in your search!!!!