Notices

Driving/ Tech Advice???

Old 01-13-2002, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Driving/ Tech Advice???

Hey all,

Having just bought my first OffShore/Performance boat in August I've got a question for ya that's been bothering me.

The boat: 1996 26' Scarab w/ 502mpi

During a trip to LOTO the weekend of the Shootout, about the 6th time I had this boat out. Water conditions were pretty typical for LOTO on this weekend. 2-3' chop w/ some bigger water thrown in for good measure.

I had 8 people on the boat, full of gas, 80 gal. I was able to run pretty consistant at around 40mph, working throttle, trim, and tabs regularly. When I would come up on some REAL large water from other boats I would back off a little. When doing this, my boat would blow-out. (I guess that's what it's called, the prop would come unhooked) It would ALWAYS happen when I would back off in large water. I would try to catch it by trimming down or quick throttle adjustments, but no luck. I would have to completely let the boat settle in the water before I could load the prop again. VERY irritating and embarrasing.

Was there something I could have done different when driving the boat?

Could it be my prop set-up or X dimension?

Maybe the trim or where I had the tabs set?

I had the lower unit trimmed up to about 4 on my guage. Had to drop the tab couple of notches to keep her in the water.

Ideas anyone?????

All help is appreciated. I am learning.

Buck
Old 01-13-2002, 10:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like it was falling off plane due to the weight and lower power setting. This would cause the boat to "see-saw" forward and lift the prop into jumbled water. The air in the water would cause it to cut loose. In that size boat it is very hard to get any kind of real performance with that much weight on board. Add to that the fact that the hull is designed to run "loose" and you see why performance would be impaired. I would try pulling the drive in and maybe adding a little tab to help it plane but you may not be able to make that a good "people hauler". Maybe you could get one of your freinds to buy a boat and split up 4 and 4
Old 01-13-2002, 10:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh BTW, if you continue to need the ability to cart around 8 people, maybe we can trade, I got a nice big, wide 28' cruiser that will schlep them all around in comfort
Old 01-13-2002, 10:48 PM
Registered

LOL! Wish I could afford something bigger right now.

I figured the weight in the boat had a lot to do w/ it. It just seemed to happen a lot, enough to be very irritating.

Guess I need to find some freinds w/ more money, huh?

Buck
Old 01-13-2002, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what prop are you running
Old 01-13-2002, 11:08 PM
NICKSLICK

Well, I have a 30ft Scarab...

If conditions permit it, and its safe... its better to HAUL ASS thru it... or OVER IT, then get stuck in it.

Old 01-13-2002, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When running slower heavier loads change your prop and prop down--2" smaller and use a 4 blade bravo prop. Remember no one prop will do it all. I have 2 depending on conditions.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:14 PM
Registered

FloridianSon,

I think it's a 23P Mirage. Heavy on the think!

Nick, I like the idea of just staying on top of the bad stuff. Some of the passengers were complaining about that part of my driving. Guess I should have told them to swim where we were going.

Marty, the idea of a different prop for that kind of load makes sense to me.

Buck

Remember.....Loud pipes save lives.
Old 01-14-2002, 02:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

"Maybe the trim or where I had the tabs set?

I had the lower unit trimmed up to about 4 on my guage. Had to drop the tab couple of notches to keep her in the water.

Ideas anyone????? "

Sounds to me like you might have been trimmed to high, don't know where 4 is on your gauge, your prop shaft should have been still pointing down, trimmed in.
If you were going to try running on top you would probably want the propshaft and tabs parrallel with the bottom,
if you are running the tabs down it doesn't make sense to have the drive trimmmed up past parrallel to the bottom.
Hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.
Caleb
Old 01-14-2002, 07:23 AM
Registered

Smile

Buck, I've got a 23P Bravo 4-blade on ebay right now. I does not include a hub. No reserve. That would probably help you out a lot.

Quick Reply: Driving/ Tech Advice???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.