Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   End of Powerboating? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114754-end-powerboating.html)

PhantomChaos 10-20-2005 08:36 PM

Re: End of Powerboating?

2 men enter, one man leaves. THUNDERDOME!!!!!! :D :D :D

Downtown42 10-20-2005 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING
,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling,the sky is falling, the sky is falling :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the Russians are coming, the Russians are coming.... :evilb:

Downtown42 10-20-2005 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by formula31
This is why Im using as much as I can while its here. :drink:

hope you don't mind quoting you next time some tree-huggin' smart a$$ at the gas station smart's off... :drool: :et: :blaster:

hot props 10-20-2005 09:14 PM

What are the thoughts on ETHANOL? Made from corn, burns well and is easy to produce... From what I'm told it even has a higher octane rating than what can be acheived from reg. gas products.....

Falcon 10-20-2005 10:14 PM

Ethanol,
By itself it has substantially less btu's (power) per gallon, potentially more power because it contains oxygen (more air flow), but you need more of it. Ethanol can improve the octane rating which is why some currently use it in premium fuels. If it weren't for subsidies, it wouldn't be economical to produce. Untill they find a better production methods, it currently takes almost a gallon gas to create an equal btu quantity of ethanol.

CigDaze 10-21-2005 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by hot props
What are the thoughts on ETHANOL? Made from corn, burns well and is easy to produce... From what I'm told it even has a higher octane rating than what can be acheived from reg. gas products.....

The biggest broblem is that it requires nearly as much energy to produce as is has potential to deliver.

CigDaze 10-21-2005 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by License To Thrill
We need a government program, together with private industry, to develop either a new fuel source or a new kind of engine that runs on renewable fuels.

Typical. :rolleyes:

P.S.
The "petrolium geologists" to whom you refer, if indeed they exist outside of your imagination, should start looking for a new line of work, if that's the line they tote.

miamioffshore 10-21-2005 09:44 AM

Ethanol will also dry out rubber hoses, gaskets, etc.

Mee-n-Mac 10-21-2005 11:13 AM

Like potato chips ...

Originally Posted by License To Thrill
Like everything else, oil is a finite resource, but unlike electricity and hydrogen is not renewable. We need a government program, together with private industry, to develop either a new fuel source or a new kind of engine that runs on renewable fuels.

... don't worry we'll make more. :eureka: (really, not kidding)

As others have said above there's more oil to be had if the price per barrel is high enough to go do it. Also there's the TDP/TCP process which converts most anything with long chain carbon molecules in it to #2 oil. The present cost of this is said to be approx $80/barrel at the trial plants now in operation. My guess is that if you combine an electric generating station (to use it's wasted heat) with a TDP plant you lower the cost to something higher than today's cost but within reason. :woohoo: Given the recent price spikes in oil, I'm surprised the TDP thing hasn't gotten more press. I've posted a couple of links, you can Google for a lot more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_depolymerization
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...2-kantor_x.htm

bajabob38 10-21-2005 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Typical. :rolleyes:

P.S.
The "petrolium geologists" to whom you refer, if indeed they exist outside of your imagination, should start looking for a new line of work, if that's the line they tote.

:drink: :drink: :drink: We must keep these nuts in check!!!!! :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: