Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Imco's new X-Treme Advantage 1000 Drive (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114835-imcos-new-x-treme-advantage-1000-drive.html)

Lofty 10-21-2005 12:16 PM

Re: Imco's new X-Treme Advantage 1000 Drive

I think they rate them to 800hp.

Lofty 10-21-2005 12:19 PM

From the Konrad site.

Recreational Performance
Maximum recommendation: 1000 Nm (738 lb. ft.) of torque for diesel or gas applications. Maximum operation: 250 hours per year for planing type hulls of highly intermittent operation. Gross weight to horsepower less than 12.2 kg/kw (20 lbs./hp). This classification includes private, non-commercial, non-charter, sport/leisure activity craft. Long range pleasure cruisers, sport fishing charters and commercial service craft are NOT in this service classification. Standard warranty.

Panther 10-21-2005 12:47 PM

trans goes in the extension box for the Konrad right? How much deeper is the drive than a std. bravo?

My motors are sitting really deep in the boat and to raise them up I would have to cut the hatch.

FSPROPELLER 10-25-2005 04:49 PM

Panther:

The 540 is about .600" deeper than a stock XR, I assume you are looking at an XR retrofit.

If you are replacing an ITS, the distance is negligible, I would leave the engine as is.

If you are replacing one with transom assy stock on the transom face and the propeller would be moving back 6-8 inches, I would recommend lifting the engine 1-2 inches.

Of course this depends on how the existing install is but these numbers are generally based on a perfectly set Bravo.

As far as the ratings, we have had many people exceed the torque rating which by the way was formulated based on diesel data. So far no failures even when folks have tried to break them, right Lofty.

Panther 10-26-2005 12:33 PM

Thanks for the info!

My drives are already about an inch or so deeper than optimal so it seems I would have to raise the motors 2-3 inches which would require scoops or a raised engine hatch.

I'm just going thru all my options right now and weighing the cost vs. benefit and cost vs. a different boat already set up.

Thanks for the helpful info!

mmwalters 10-26-2005 02:33 PM

The question I have about the IMCO drive is how does it counter rotate?

Lofty 10-26-2005 05:43 PM

Yeah Fred, I had some bald guy take mine out and tried his hardest to break the Konrads. Sorry, but no cigar this time.

mmwalters, I don't know for sure but from the cutaway view it looks like it counter rotates the same as every other drive of this design. They mount the lower gear on the other side of the pinion gear. It's how Merk and Konrad do it.

Panther 10-27-2005 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lofty
Yeah Fred, I had some bald guy take mine out and tried his hardest to break the Konrads. Sorry, but no cigar this time.

mmwalters, I don't know for sure but from the cutaway view it looks like it counter rotates the same as every other drive of this design. They mount the lower gear on the other side of the pinion gear. It's how Merk and Konrad do it.

I guess they do it in the lower instead of the upper because the upper is built more like a TRS witht the horizontal shaft extending all the way thru to the front cap.