Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Would You Buy a Boat with TRS drives? >

Would You Buy a Boat with TRS drives?

Notices

Would You Buy a Boat with TRS drives?

Old 05-13-2003, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would You Buy a Boat with TRS drives?

I have been eyeing a beautiful Pantera boat that fits within my limited price range. However, it has TRS drives which makes me nervous due to the ability to get parts.

I just got rid of my last boat because of an outdated King Cobra drive.

So I need help, would you buy a boat that has TRS drives?
Old 05-13-2003, 10:35 AM
Registered

Yes, I would and did, you can still buy most parts for TRS, just go to Doller Offshore, or BAM's website and look at the part listings, there are only a few parts that are no longer available. and unless you are putting tons of HP behind them, or badly neglecting them they are a very solid drive.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TRS drives hold up very well and the parts are still available. There also alot of used parts\drives available too.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Registered

My Donzi has a TRS. Like they mentioned, parts are available if you know where to look. The MercII transmission may not be available, but all the wearable parts are available, from what i hear. Borg Warner makes a compatable transmission as well. TRS drives can handle a good amount of power, and the transmissions make them smoooooth shifters. Never gonna hear a grinding gear with this setup (unless you have bigger problems).
Old 05-13-2003, 10:57 AM
Registered

What kind of HP will a TRS handle?
What is the weak link the drive or the trany?
Old 05-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Personally, I would not buy a boat with TRS drives. It has nothing to with the reliablity. It has to do with the fact that nobody around here has the expertise to work on them or the parts to fix them.
If I trash a Bravo, I can find a new or used one at a reasonable price and be back on the water in few days. I've done it. Trashed a drive on Sun and on the water by Weds. With a TRS, it would probably be closer to a month.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:30 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Would You Buy a Boat with TRS drives?

If the deal is right;
meaning cash left for a spare lower and tranny to cover time of rebuilts, when one goes t!ts up. And resale impact (I did say deal is right)
YES
Old 05-13-2003, 01:39 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mack at Doller can get whatever you need for the TRS setup. The ole 92 had em. I blew 2 over 7 years. It was still smoother shifting than my new Gun!
Old 05-13-2003, 03:23 PM
DEVIL MAN

I would not put TRS drives with over 550 horses...just to be safe. If the boat is a steal, go with the TRS drives knowing someday you might have to convert to a Bravo. The TRS setup will be a tougher sell for you when you go to dump the boat. Most people don't know anything about a TRS drive or if they do, they do not want to mess with it. Like someone mentioned about the Bravo Drive...they are now a dime a dozen and it is a quick and easy fix.

As long as you know what you are getting into...you are ok. Looks like you are doing your homework. Good luck.

DMan

Ps. Had TRS drives on my 91 38 Fountain Fever with the 425HP's. They worked well and shifted great, but I blew them to hell and back when I put the 800 horsepower supercharged engines to them. Man....those things blow gooooood!!!! Turned me into a speedmaster III guy real quick!!!!

Old 05-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking chalk up one for the geriatric crew

exshellent research
T.O.

Quick Reply: Would You Buy a Boat with TRS drives?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.