Notices

is ebay worth the time

Old 11-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is ebay worth the time

i was just wondering if ebay was worth the time and expense of listing a boat on, i see many boats for sale there but only rediculous bids for them ,i've been trying to sell my boat for 8 months and only had 1 person look at it and really wanting to sell it,so i was wondering if anyone had any luck listing there ?
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o19054-en.html
Old 11-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Registered

For your boat I say NO.

Its just too much for ebay.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

For a boat like yours and at your asking price, e-bay is not the route that will sell it. People on e-ba are looking for a steal of a deal, and it will sell only if you're willing to part with your boat for next to nothing in comparison to your investment.

On a positive note, a listing in e-bay that does NOT meet your reserves or expectations does give some national and international exposure to your boat, and many have sold after auction's end to buyers that have watched the auction and contact you to work a deal afterwards.
Just curious (as an aviator), what kind of aircraft are you buying?
Jim
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

I sold my Formula 382 to an Ebay buyer. He knew nothing about OSO or the other on-line listing services.

The responses I got from my OSO lisiting were ALL low-ball/kid offers.

Ebay worked for me.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've purchased 2 boats this year from Ebay. I've also purchased a couple of cars and a big truck. I didn't steal any of them but I paid less than retail. Prior to Ebay I bought cars, boats, trucks, etc and didn't pay retail then either. Ebay hasn't brought my buying prices down, but it's increased the radius I buy from. If you market well on Ebay and give a buyer some security that they're not going to get hosed, you should have some luck.

Having said all that, there are some things that are just against you. There couldn't be a worse month than November to sell a boat. The stock market is a roller coaster and fuel is headed nowhere but up. Cat insurance is ridiculous and only available to experienced HP boaters.

Lastly, and with all due respect, I looked at your classified and it scared me away. No price but repeated proclamations of it being worth $150K says to me that you're afraid to scare people off by printing the price and you're attempting to justify your asking price by comparison with a "value" figure. The comment "priced to move" suggests that where you have it priced is going to be enticing- so then say what it is and let the price sell it. If it's not really priced to move, I'll know that the second the numbers leave your lips.

Ebay is often a waste of time for the unrealistic. I see boats that are up there with ridiculous "buy it now" prices. Start low and let it go up. I've seen boats bring ridiculous numbers- money that I thought for sure the buyer would back out when he saw what he bought but the boats never came back. I sold one last summer and it brought almost a third more than I expected.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Registered

the price is listed there, $89,995 but offers dont scare me and i really dont mind the input/suggestions as to what to ask for it as i want to sell without getting hosed too bad either..

im building a lite sport amphibian all composite,rotax motor regular gas and no faa requirements,elecro servo retractable gear.http://www.seamaxusa.com/
Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by copiercat
the price is listed there, $89,995 ]
My mistake on that one. Will classifieds allow you to put in the dollar sign and comma?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

I know several people who have used E-bay to sell boats in the 25-60k range,they did not actually sell on E-bay from the auction though,they sold from the exposure and people that responded and called their phone number listed in the ad AFTER the auction was over. If you run your ad on E-bay,list every phone number you have in the ad and encourage buyers to call with "questions" (that is where your possible buyers will probably come from) so you will not miss a call,some people will only call once and if they don't reach you they will not leave a message,Smitty
Old 11-10-2007, 01:39 AM
Registered

you more than likely wont sell it on ebay, but the exposure will bring you a buyer. It's cheap worldwide advertising.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold 5 boats on e-bay , all went great. ( 1 went over seas)

Mike

Quick Reply: is ebay worth the time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.