Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Spin props in or out? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/115371-spin-props-out.html)

TomFTM 10-29-2005 06:00 PM

Spin props in or out?

To all you outboard cat guys, do you spin your props in or out? The boat I just got has the props spinning in .I have not run the boat yet and I'm currently doing the water pumps , I the lowers off, .so before I put hem back on I want to see what you guys are doing and what you think.. The boat is a 2000 30 ft Motion cat with 2.5 RO's with 15 mids on jack plates . The lower ratio is 2 to 1 and I will be trying 15X32's 3 blades. Thanks , Tom

:drink:

mr_velocity 10-29-2005 06:10 PM

Re: Spin props in or out?

in for flat water, out for rough water

Ron P 10-29-2005 07:51 PM

Tom, try it both ways. Personally from what I've read and felt in boats, I'd spin them out for everyday use. Spinning in might give you an extra one or two MPH at the top end but you might give up low speed handling.

Whichever way made the hull lean into turns would be my pick.

shawn 10-29-2005 10:19 PM

Get hold of Mmwalters. Michael has the same boat with 300s, and history of running both in and outbound

Shawn

Catagory5 10-29-2005 10:24 PM

I agree, out on most cats helps with the handling, in may pick you up a few MPH.

Dean Ferry 10-30-2005 07:40 AM

Tom,
For overall handling, spin them out. You will probobly pick up 1-2 mph spinning in, but it won't handle as well.
Can't wait to see this bad boy! :D
Dean

shawn 10-30-2005 07:55 AM

Tom, O/Bs may be different thatn IOs, but I spin my props inbound and have NO issues with handling at low, mid or WOT. 36 Spectre with HP500s handles like a dream around the docks.

Shawn

X-Rated30 10-30-2005 08:44 AM

Spoke with Jay at Spectre about this subject. He said there was no speed to be gained on my 30 with 2.5 efi's by spinning in unless you change the distance between the engines. It had something to do with the position of the prop compared to the sponson. :cool:

WildWarrior 10-30-2005 09:25 AM

It all depends on the boat and your set up.
My Talon with 17.5 d 37 pitch 5 blades #6 dry sumps at 115mph or so when turned out got very very light in the rear. We turned them in and at 125+ she stays planted just like being on rails, its night and day better handling on our Cat compared to turning them out.. I would suggest switching the drives and see how she runs, I'm glad I did!

Miller 10-30-2005 09:40 AM

Can someone pass the popcorn? I need to be ready when T2x offers up another physics lesson! :D

Tom, how are you? It was nice to see you at the NYC Poker Run. Next time you're coming to the city, email me. Valentina (my girlfriend) and I can meet you for a drink.