Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   cant beat a deal like this (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/115490-cant-beat-deal-like.html)

chad1 11-26-2005 05:05 PM

Re: cant beat a deal like this

both sides bring good points into question..i read most of the posts to learn from others mistakes...Sean you have not answered alot of questions to get better advice from this board...

1.HOW WAS THE BOAT REPRESENTED..AD ETC...DID IT SAY 2004 BOAT WITH 49 HOURS , 98 600S LEFTOVERS JUST INSTALLED.....OR FRESHENED UP 600S

2.DO YOU HAVE A COPY OF AD...
3.DID YOU SAVE ALOT ON THIS PURCHASE BECAUSE OF THE
OLDER MOTORS...

IF YOU ARE BUYING CAT BOATS AND READING MAGS ,OSO,ETC..YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD A CLUE THOSE MOTORS WERE NOT 04s.

LETS SAY YOUR NEW TO BOATING AND YOU PICKED A REPUTABLE DEALER AND YOU WERE MISLEAD TO BUY A
49 HOUR BOAT TOTAL BOAT AND MOTORS...AND THE MOTORS FAILED AND WERE 8 PLUS YEARS OLD...AND THIS WAS NOT DISCLOSED......I THINK EVERYONE WOULD HAVE
PROBLEM WITH THAT.....

SEAN GIVE US MORE FACTS ABOUT THE PURCHASE AND HOW THE BOAT WAS REPRESENTED SO EVERYONE CAN
FORM A MORE EDUCATED OPINION.

IF YOU DO DECIDE TO LET THEM MAKE THINGS RIGHT, 3800 MILES ROUND TRIP TWICE IS HARD TO SWALLOW...MAYBE YOU COULD MEET THEM HALFWAY....

HOPE THIS WORKS OUT FOR YOU AND THE DEALER..BAD PRESS AND HEARSAY ALWAYS HURTS THE DEALER

cuda 11-26-2005 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by LIOPA
YUP that would probably be the best scenario here....PULL the motors and freight them back to LCM to repair..

Yeah, I'm sure that LCM would get right on it. :rolleyes:

DanB 11-26-2005 05:20 PM

Its crappy you have to deal with this Sean...but the fact is.. this is the way of life in the boat biz, and the used car biz... and has been forever. The good thing about the car biz is you can buy an extended warrantee if the cars not too old. I wish there was something like that in the boat biz, but who in there right mind would insure that?
You buy from a boat dealer no matter who it is, and he doesent have a local connection near you, you are pretty much stuck on using him for any issues, IF they even want to talk to you!!! or your on your own. LCM doesnt sound like they want to do anything for you unless you bring it back, so it sounds like your screwed or need to get a lawyer. I hope everyone reading this has learned a lesson and I hope you get it resolved.
Personaly..........I'd like to hear from any boat dealer who would do it any different/better then LCM is doing it. :rolleyes:

LIOPA 11-26-2005 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by cuda
Yeah, I'm sure that LCM would get right on it. :rolleyes:

LOOK you at least have to give them a chance to make things right :rolleyes:

LIOPA 11-26-2005 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by DanB
Personaly..........I'd like to hear from any boat dealer who would do it any different/better then LCM is doing it. :rolleyes:

That is very difficult to do without ALL the facts from both sides (SEE CHAD1's post above) the purchase contract as well as the original ad and so on.

seanv 11-26-2005 05:26 PM

the heading for the add on this site by the way was" 2004 american offshore" described as great shape. i asked for photos of the boats interior and cabin. the sales rep sent them to me right away. one of those pics showed the tach/hour meter reading 49hours.i even commented on the hours and how it wasnt used much and he agreed. when i asked how it ran his reply was they were going to take it out. after the did so he said it ran great and you should hear them idle. he said he took it to 90 and it was great.
i traded in a 97 daytona with 980+hp that ran 118mph. i put most of it together so yes i know a little about boats. i didnt know that merc had stopped building those engines in the 90's. they had every chance to say hey, these engines have far more hours than shown but still run. i could have said sorry no deal or made a different deal with them.
at what point do i trust them to build engines for me? it's my family and friends who will ride in this boat. and at the speeds these things can go i dont trust them with that responsability after this whole ordeal.
they dont have to write the check to me just let me take it somewhere close and they can handle the money. i dont want money like has been stated, i want my boat fixed. hell, i even tried to let him cheap out by just paying for parts so, im not that far out of wack!

Sean H 11-26-2005 05:35 PM

yeah, what he said...

DanB 11-26-2005 05:39 PM

I just re-read the post from LCM. Sounds like they are pretty much saying your on your own now.
Sean.....you bought into their sales pitch..trusted and belived them and that was your first mistake. 2nd was not having the motors checked prior to buying. 3rd..not taking it back the 1900 miles. (that would suck!!!)
If they flat out lied to you...and only you know...go after em with a lawyer. I really feel for you...but it dont sound good. I hate hearing these stories

Playn 11-26-2005 05:44 PM

From what I read you knew these engines were installed by the previous owner but elected not to contact that party or have a survey conducted. You have declined to have LCM service the boat as well.

Good luck in getting the problem resolved to your satisfaction, just not sure what any more comments about it on this forum will contribute to the cause.

OSO 11-26-2005 05:56 PM

Well it is obvious that this thread is being used as a heavy hand to try to threaten Lake Cumberland Marine in to doing something or else. Unfourtanetly, this is not what OSO is designed for.

After four years of monitoring this board and prior to that being in the brokerage business I am all to familiar with this situation. A boat dealer wants to sell a boat and in order to really go through a boat with a fine tooth comb you have hours of labor involved and on the other end you have a buyer that wants you to take a trade at $1.20 on the $1 and wants to purchase the boat at or near wholesale.

On the other side you have boats with overinflated prices that can drop significantly if there is no trade or plenty of cushion is left in the deal to cover the trade in the event that it ends up being a ticking time bomb.

In closing I must say that anyone that buys a boat that has ever had a key turned period should have a professional survey (and even those don't always catch everything) and a compression and leak down check at the least. If you want to take it the extra mile drop the lower until oil and check the condition of the oil. Still there is no guarantee, I have seen people destroy engines in less than an hour and bad throttleman destroy drives and twist prop shafts their first time out.

I am not choosing a side but regardless this is a matter that should be resolved in the courts or between the dealer and the buyer. Telling the story on OSO in an effort to strong arm the dealer (as the thread starter has stated above) to do what you want is not acceptable.

Some says this is an open forum and you should be able to discuss whatever you want. Until I see a judgement from a court I consider all information to be hearsay and non factual. Not to say that seanv is not telling the truth and LCM isn't either but I have seen way to many people manipulate things on the internet to scam people, get something for free, or make someone else pay for something so they don't have too.

In the even that this goes to court and a judgement is obtained you are more that welcome to post it here for future buyers to beware.

As far as LCM being an advertiser, we have closed and deleted threads similar to these for business's that were not advertisers.

Please remember the recent court ruling that holds the person that posts remarks responsible for their comments. Due to past situations and at the advice of our counsel we choose not to provide the format for a potenital libelous or slanderous situation.

Thread closed.