Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need help with decision, Please give opinion... >

Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

Notices
View Poll Results: Need help with question, please give opinion
25 Baja Outlaw
9.68%
275 Baja Outlaw
5.38%
1990 Cigarette Bullet
43.01%
25 Agressor Sunsation
2.15%
288 Sunsation
39.78%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

Old 08-23-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

As most of you know, I have been doing quite a bit of research on particular boats for the upcoming year in order to make my decision. In 2006 I would like to finally purchase my boat. In the past couple of years I have learned a great deal in boating information but have come to the point of confusion in the decision making process.

My requirements are to have a boat that I can enjoy ever weekend with little as possible issues. This boat will be used every weekend and does not have the fastest thing around. As we all know, your never the fastest forever. The boat will be enjoyed by the wife and I on all poker runs and also with kids on the other weekends. So with that being said fuel consumption is also a deciding factor.

I have decided between a three different manufacturers and I need you help and opinions positive and negative.

Now I would like this thread to become an educational tool for myself in deciding on the boat so I am asking that this not be a pissing match between boat owners. Please post facts only and your opinion of the boats if you have personally rode on one or actually know of the building process.

I would like to know how the boat is made, ( fiberglass, or Balsa)

The pros and cons

Any major issues that has been present on that particular model

how does it ride

overall value of the boat

How does the boat hold up in time

The following boats I were contemplating on were

1. 1990 Cigarette Bullet

2. 25 outlaw

3. 288 Sunsation

4. 275 Baja

5. 25 Aggressor Sunsation

Now there are a few reasons for my choices. I want a boat that does not have fuel consumption issues. We all know of people that pay those boat notes and dont take them out due to fuel prices or cant find friends to split the gas. With the single engine option( except for the Bullet) I wouldnt have a fuel issue. Another reason is these model boats are in the 50k and under bracket. I dont want to take away from 401 and kids college fund, nor my monthly stock investments for an upper end boat. I want to comfortably take my boat out every weekend and enjoy myself without any financial indifferences.

So if you would post your opinions and fact based on my requirements I would greatly appreciate it. Besides I would feel comfortable knowing that my decision was based on the knowledge of the members of Offshoreonly.

Last edited by mobilecal; 08-23-2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Registered

Default Re: Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

some poker runs dont allow under 28 footers... i assume this isnt a problem for you, otherwise you'd be looker bigger... just had to explain my vote.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse James
first question is where are you boating?

I would look hevily at the Baja and Susation...

The sunsation is probably built a little better and should have a more efficient bottom (hence better fuel economy)

The Baja should be a little easier to resell when you are done and they have a larger dealer network (out of town repairs)

The cigarette is cool but over 10 years old financing and insurance both become issue's and even if you are paying cash the next guy will most likely be financing and it will give you less thrill per mph

ex= 27 foot boat 2 foot chop light and aired out and an exciting ride at say 65 the cig would need to be going 10 miles an hour faster and need at least 3 footers to give you the same excitement........but if you are into the more stable ride then that is not a concern.....

Well I live in St. Amant, Louisiana. Basically the same area of the TICKFAW 200, ROYAL PURPLE PR and others. Some gulf coast, SHIP ISLAND, CAT ISLAND, DESTIN PR, and would also like to travel to different areas to enjoy their PR's. So basically lakes and a minute amount of gulf coast fun..
Old 08-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Registered

look at pantera's....lotsa (quality)boat for the $$$. active thunders...maybe check out powerquest for more bells and whistles. also checkmate...

there are better choices for around the 50k mark...

my priorities would be:

1.hull
2.rigging
3.engine/drive
4.external steering
all those in that order =reliability.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

its hard to go wrong with a cigarette
Old 08-23-2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ratman
its hard to go wrong with a cigarette
I agree. The Bullet has always been one of my favorite boats. But when you look at it from an economical aspect, and from a more for money deal, it looks like the bullet wouldnt be my best choice. Im just still unsure which boats to narrow down to. I need to select 2 maybe 3 boats now in order to give myself options at my time of purchase.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like audacity said look at checkmate. Good, solid, honest boat that won't break the bank. I got a 253 convincor and it rides awesome in the rough stuff.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:35 AM

I looked at the classifieds last night and were not alot of AT or CM's on the listing. These are not popular boats at all in my area like BAJA, Cigarette, and Fountains are. Are these a lower end boat?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to recommend something that isn't on you list, but for your needs, I think this would fit the bill well. A little over your budget but should do all the things you want to do real well.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/7/76037957.htm
Old 08-24-2005, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by BGIII
I hate to recommend something that isn't on you list, but for your needs, I think this would fit the bill well. A little over your budget but should do all the things you want to do real well.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/7/76037957.htm

What does that boat go for new? Thought that his asking price was a little high..

Did you post a poll? I thought with all of the views there would have been a few more selections...

Quick Reply: Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.