Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What was the first stepped V-Bottom?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/115501-what-first-stepped-v-bottom.html)

T2x 11-01-2005 05:17 PM

Re: What was the first stepped V-Bottom??

What difference does it make?

You're much better off with a conventional vee and a pad bottom.

Unless, of course, you actually like to spin out...........

T2x

32storm 11-01-2005 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
I remember seeing a late 80's 32 Hustler for sale with steps.

Not familiar with factory doing steps on a 32. I would be curious if one out there. I understood traditional V-hull thru-out the production run without steps.

Edward R. Cozzi 11-01-2005 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
the vikings would stagger the planks on their longships to gain more speed.. anybody got something farther back than that? maybe noah? :D :evilb: :drink:

The Ark was originally planned with steps, a pad and #6 dry-sumps but something went wrong with the cubits or something...

Maybe Brownie would know, we were both there as young guys.

animalhouse 11-01-2005 10:15 PM

T2X.

Hustler did not purchase any molds or hulls, in fact the first hustler was tooled in Paul Fiore's Garage in 1977. Paul got started in the boat business by fooling with the family's cabin cruiser in the mid 70's, had success and decided to build a boat from scratch.

As far as the first step hull.... Paul was not the inventer of the stepped hull. But he was the first to utilize a stepped hull in a production boat model. The first production boat with a stepped hull was a 40' Hustler back in 1986.

Your opinion of stepped bottom boats has been noted, but it is just that, an opinion. A stepped bottom requires a different driving approach, just as driving a cat, or a non stepped bottom. But they all serve their respective purpose.

I have driven may stepped bottom boats as well as conventional bottom boats, and do not feel any less secure when cornering with the stepped bottom. But I am concious of the limitations of the particular boat that I am operating, and use caution not to drive over my head.

BROWNIE 11-02-2005 07:11 AM

There have always been stepped hulls. The Bob Hobbs designed/Cal Connell built Monte Carlo Offshorer was a mid-60's design. Sonny Levi was the designer for Italcraft in the 60's and 70's. They built thousands of stepped hulls with SURFACE DRIVES! There truly is NOTHING new under the sun........

T2x 11-08-2005 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
There have always been stepped hulls. The Bob Hobbs designed/Cal Connell built Monte Carlo Offshorer was a mid-60's design. Sonny Levi was the designer for Italcraft in the 60's and 70's. They built thousands of stepped hulls with SURFACE DRIVES! There truly is NOTHING new under the sun........

You are obviously incorrect...... we all know that Hustler built the first production stepped offshore hulls in 1986....... 20 years later.

Sonny Levi's hulls were nothing more than an optical illusion. :p :p

T2x

CustomRigger101 11-08-2005 03:17 PM

delta by larson was the first step hall.. believe it or not

jb 11-08-2005 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
According to Velocity's website Steve Stepp doesn't believe in the stepped hull and had nothing to do with it. He is known for the padded bottom as a solution for going fast on flat water. Works good too I have seen several 28's +/- that run 70+ with a single 496 HO.

forgot to insert tongue in cheek... a play on words..... joke...ok?

ECeptor 11-08-2005 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by jb
Obsession has one in the early 90's, I doubt that was first....S. Stepp had to have his hand in there somewhere...

S. Stepp actually does not use steps and markets quite actively against them calling them unsafe.

His last name is just a coincidence.

chromecat 11-08-2005 10:32 PM

and here i thought the first steps used in boat hulls were used in sea planes way back in the ...30's ..40's... because they got bigger and heaviear and couldnt get the speed needed to get off the water....until aircraft engineers came up with a stepped hull and poof.. airborne....
ie. howard hughes spruce goose for one...

Don