Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stealth Powerboats?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/115532-stealth-powerboats.html)

AC 11-01-2005 03:28 PM

Stealth Powerboats??

Does anyone know anything about Stealth Powerboats? It's different looking? :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OLN-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Wally 11-01-2005 03:40 PM

Re: Stealth Powerboats??

Its made by Ultra not Stealth....ive heard of them but never seen one up close before...

LIOPA 11-01-2005 03:51 PM

Yes...that is an ULTRA 28 Stealth.

Nice boat.......Bold styling........does well in snotty water.....the boat in the auction is overpriced for the 496 HO version. We sold a few of them and the customers were happy with them.

tomtbone1993 11-01-2005 03:54 PM

i didn't know bullriding and offshore boats went together.................is this a themed boat like Orange County Choppers...............

LIOPA 11-02-2005 02:06 PM

Looks like it to me.......One of ULTRA's trademarks is theme boats. The owner is close friends with J.James from Monster Garage. They have done a few projects together in the past. They are also known for the boats used on the stunts in Fear Factor.

LIOPA 11-02-2005 02:10 PM

More info....
Injured Marine Riding Wavetops of Appreciation
Marine Corps News | Roe Seigle | October 20, 2005
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. - When Sgt. James Wright's unit came under intense fire April 7, 2004, the last thing on his mind was bouncing over waves during a nautical adventure.

Twenty-six enemy dead, one bronze star and a year later, a speedboat is exactly what that battle got him.

To show gratitude to the Marine for his tremendous sacrifices, Ultra Boats, producers of custom-made boats, presented Wright with the boat of all boats Sept. 15 at the Del Mar Boat Basin here.

During the fight, a round from a rocket-propelled grenade struck his humvee and changed the Marine’s life forever.

The blast severed both of Wright’s hands and severely wounded his left leg. Incredibly, Wright maintained his composure, instructing his Marines to use a radio to call for help and to apply tourniquets to his wounds. Wright also directed his Marines to concentrate fire on enemy machine gun positions, assisting in the demise of 26 enemy fighters. For his actions, Wright was later presented the Bronze Star Medal with combat distinguishing device for valor.

According to Leah West, who owns Ultra Boats with her husband, John, the 28-foot-long boat is equipped with a voice-automated computer system to accommodate Wright’s physical limitations. The boat is also equipped with a TV box, Internet capabilities, media player and a Marine Global Positioning System.

“I do not think I deserve all this,” Wright said. “I knew I was going to get a boat, but I had no clue they were going to go all out and make one like this.”

Currently stationed at the Martial Arts Center of Excellence at Marine Corps Base Quantico, the Seattle, Wash. Marine came here to recieve the boat from several representatives of the Ultra Boats company.

“We felt the Marine should be honored for what he did out there,” said Cabe Sipes, an audio technician with Ultra Boats. Sipes was responsible for the installation of the sound system in Wright’s boat. “We wanted to thank him for all he has done for this country.”

Ultra Boats is scheduled to ship the boat to Wright’s home in Virginia within the week so he can get it in the water before the cold winds of winter set in on the East Coast.

“I was just fortunate enough to work through my injuries with a positive attitude,” said Wright after he was given a grand tour of the boat and its capabilities. “I’m just glad I am still here to be able to enjoy a boat ride.”

LIOPA 11-02-2005 02:17 PM

Built for the infamous, Jesse James of West Coast Choppers, this 27 Shadow is daunting our competition. It’s a distinctive work of art. Unlike any boat of its kind in the world, the graphics are airbrushed in the mold! The gelcoat alone took 5 workers a total of 300 man-hours to complete. The interior design integrates comfort and style beyond measure. From the cabin headliner featuring a massive West Coast Chopper Iron Cross to the Mega Watt sound system, it’s the ultimate bad ass boat. A look under the hatch will reveal a Derebery Engine boasting 1300 hp, ready and waiting to get the party started! A special thanks to Extreme Trailers for building the hauler for this beast, the obstinate skeleton graphics on the boat are right at home on a trailer riddled with chrome spider webs, it’s a masterpiece in its own right!

The following is a recent article written on Jesse’s 27 Shadow:

Family Performance Boating Magazine
March 2005

Hollywood, Bikes and Boats
West Coast Choppers Meets Ultra Custom Boats

Ever see those boats on the TV show Fear Factor? Those are Ultra Custom Boats built by John West and his team in El Cajon, California. Ever watch Monster Garage? That is Jesse James from West Coast Choppers, which is based in Long Beach, California. What happens when these two guys get together to build a boat and a bike is what we have here.

“I’ve been working with Jesse [James] for a few years now on different episodes of Monster Gargage,” West said. “That is where we started talking about him building me a bike and me building him a boat. I’ve wanted an El Diablo for years and love the way it turned out. He built me a 6-inch stretched El Diablo with a 124-inch S&S engine riding on a 280 rear tire.”

What West built for James is a 27-Shadow that was built like no other Shadow to date. While they were in the conceptual stages of the boat, West told James that they could do “just about anything in the gel other than images or words.” So what happened? James’ artist sent over a drawing that had both words and airbrushed images.

“Rather than tell him he couldn’t have what he wanted, we decided to do what, until that time, was considered impossible,” West said. To complete the piece of art you see here, it took two master gelcoaters (Martin Casillas and Jaime Reyes), two apprentice gelcoaters and West over 60 hours to tape and shoot the gel. A total of 300 man-hours pulled off 10 ghost images and 3 large airbrushed images (West himself did all the airbrushing), all done in the mold, in gel, backwards.

The dash of the boat features Livorsi Marines platinum gauges and race throttles while the bulk of the hardware was custom made by Dana Marine Products. The driver and passenger seats sit on custom-made billet drop-out bolsters with iron crosses machined right into them. Dana also did and incredible job with the custom swim steps that have rubber inserts as well as iron crosses on them. In fact, every piece of billet on the boat, from the deck hardware to the battery boxes, was custom-made by Dana. And, of course its famous hydraulic engine hatch hinges are also on this boat.

The scoop that sits atop the engine hatch is also a custom piece. “We had to make a plug and mold to make a custom scoop to cover the blower,” West said. This scoop was made just for James’ boat and also incorporates James’s logo into the tooling. To finish it off in true hot rod fashion, the scoop was sent to West Coast Choppers to be painted by famed painter and pin-striper Peter “Hot Dog” Finlan.

Under the engine hatch is a Dereberry custom-built 632-cubic inch engine. The engine mad 1,200 horsepower and 1,200 ft-lbs of torque on the dyno running at 13 lbs of boost. The engine is currently set up to run at 5 lbs of boost, making 1030 horsepower and 1,000 ft-lbs of torque. Obviously, with that kind of horsepower, choosing the right drive unit was important. Ultra went to IMCO for one of its new 4x4 Extreme units and full hydraulic steering. To allow the engine to breath properly, Ultra turned to CMI for a set of its Big Tube headers, which went to IMCO to have stainless S-bends mad in order to incorporate a set of cool Gatlin exhaust tips. The rig is also equipped with a set of HPI clamp-on mufflers for the times James will be running where noise restrictions apply.

A boat this cool needs to sit atop a cool trailer, and this trailer is beyond cool. West went to the premier company in custom trailers: Extreme Custom Trailers. The main stipulation presented to Extreme by West was that the trailer had to “be fresh and not done before.” The folds at Extreme believe in building a trailer to add value to the boat not only aesthetically but also on a performance basis.

“This is one outrageous trailer, but if you subtract the bling-bling, there are some very important features that are in the trailer that any customer should have on his trailer,” said Tom from Extreme. “This is as much a go trailer as it is a show trailer.”

The trailer utilizes torsion axles, which means it has independent suspension to absorb the bumps. With the rubber insert, it also provides a smoother ride.