Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   May need Legal Help in Fl. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/115631-may-need-legal-help-fl.html)

Chuck 11-02-2005 08:04 PM

Re: May need Legal Help in Fl.

Originally Posted by Wobble
I would say that the company you contracted with is responsible. Regardless of whether the subbed it or not. It was their responsibility to make sure the sub driver was insured and licensed if they really subbed it out.

Who did you pay?

They may have a bond with the state if they are a state licensed hauler.

Good luck

I wrote a check to the guy who was hauling the boat, but I stopped payment on the check when his insurace company informed me that he was not insured to be running a business on a personal policy.

SeaRay Jim 11-02-2005 08:09 PM

I agree, the other guy ins't involved from your perspective. However, if you contracted with the hauler, I'd think he's on the hook regardless of what or who he subed out too. I'm sure he can't operate without being bonded and or insured.

As long as you can tie you and the transport company together. Forget the driver, it's the transport companies respionsibilty if you contracted with him.

Just a guess though. Hope it works out. If not, what about your insurance? It should cover unless your policy has a clause like so many do, that it's not covered when someone else is towing it outside of X miles. I think my old policy said over 250 miles from "home" (where it's insured from) and it was mine if someone else was towing.

The Menace 11-02-2005 08:12 PM

Your contract is with who you originally hired/called.

Sounds like a lot of legaleeze may have to be sifted through to get to the bottom of this one.

Good luck.

bgchuby01 11-02-2005 09:59 PM

Chuck I have been in the commercial truck business for 15 years. You need to go after the primary guy you hired. It is his responsibility to make sure that any sub hauler he uses has the proper insurance. Get me the haulers ICC or DOT number and I can run a web site on him and tell you his insurance company without his permission. The problem today is that everyone thinks it is so easy to haul boats and they go out and buy a one ton truck and right away they are a professional boat hauler. When you see guys willing to haul your boat for less than 2.00 per mile with todays insurance and fuel cost think twice. Remember you get what you pay for. And when you let a friend haul your boat because you don't want to pay a profesional company to do the job, everything is fine until they have a problem. If the boat is being hauled for hire you need the proper insurance or the insurance company will deny the claim. Is your boat worth that risk? If you ask most boat haulers for their ICC number, most of them will look at you like you are from outer space. Yet that number is more important than a DOT number. ICC means that you can haul freight across state lines for money. Most guy with the pick up trucks think that they don't need the number because they are in a small truck. If a DOT inspector pulls them over and finds out that they are hauling for profit and do not have the proper papers the boat and trailer can be impounded until a legal company comes and picks it up. Alot of boat haulers are getting away with it but it is a very grey area. There is a government website called SAFER that you can go on for free. You input someones ICC or DOT number on it and it will pull up the companies insurance history plus and government actions against it. Also it will inform you as to wether the companies insurance is up to date and what limits it carries. If you have any questions please feel free to email me at ***********@aol.com and I will try to help everyone.

fatdaddy 11-02-2005 10:02 PM

Please tell us you have a written contract.

Spine Tingler 11-02-2005 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
My boat was also at the nortech factory and came through without a scratch.

That should make him feel better! :eek:

bgchuby01 11-02-2005 10:13 PM

Also so everyone know, the truck company does not need to have a bond of any kind unless they are also a truck broker of loads or boats. If they haul it on their own trucks or use a subhauler there is no bond needed

blume 11-02-2005 10:32 PM

always get a copy of the haulers insurance, very few carry over 250k coverage. You will spend more than $13,600.00 in attorney fees trying to get this settled, don't throw good money after bad.

Chuck 11-03-2005 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by bgchuby01
Chuck I have been in the commercial truck business for 15 years. You need to go after the primary guy you hired. It is his responsibility to make sure that any sub hauler he uses has the proper insurance. Get me the haulers ICC or DOT number and I can run a web site on him and tell you his insurance company without his permission. The problem today is that everyone thinks it is so easy to haul boats and they go out and buy a one ton truck and right away they are a professional boat hauler. When you see guys willing to haul your boat for less than 2.00 per mile with todays insurance and fuel cost think twice. Remember you get what you pay for. And when you let a friend haul your boat because you don't want to pay a profesional company to do the job, everything is fine until they have a problem. If the boat is being hauled for hire you need the proper insurance or the insurance company will deny the claim. Is your boat worth that risk? If you ask most boat haulers for their ICC number, most of them will look at you like you are from outer space. Yet that number is more important than a DOT number. ICC means that you can haul freight across state lines for money. Most guy with the pick up trucks think that they don't need the number because they are in a small truck. If a DOT inspector pulls them over and finds out that they are hauling for profit and do not have the proper papers the boat and trailer can be impounded until a legal company comes and picks it up. Alot of boat haulers are getting away with it but it is a very grey area. There is a government website called SAFER that you can go on for free. You input someones ICC or DOT number on it and it will pull up the companies insurance history plus and government actions against it. Also it will inform you as to wether the companies insurance is up to date and what limits it carries. If you have any questions please feel free to email me at ***********@aol.com and I will try to help everyone.

The guy I called originally is unwwilling to give me any info at this point. He does do some work for boat companies in Florida, and I will try to get that info. Thank you for your help and advice.

Chuck 11-03-2005 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by fatdaddy
Please tell us you have a written contract.

No, I was in such a hurry to get on the road and get the boat out of there, the whole deal took about 5 minutes on the phone. I figure I will at least have the cell phone records if I go to court.