Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Going to Key West today. Need anything checked? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/115791-going-key-west-today-need-anything-checked.html)

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 12:41 PM

Re: Going to Key West today. Need anything checked?

3 Attachment(s)
I mentioned when I started this thread [ my first ] that on my return I would post some pics. Never done that before so I will try. Here they are ... I think !!

-The road ahead

-Ocean Key House on arrival - O/S Bar is open !!

- Wreckage of Sunset Pier - Pier House in the background

- more to come - I hope !

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 12:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK, so far so good !!

Pier House - great spot to watch the race - but I miss the shade !!

Galleon - Poolside Bar - I think I saw a guy sitting at bar but maybe he was just wishing it was open.

Stripped Banyan tree on Front Street next to Mel Fisher Museum. This was one of the most beautiful trees on the island. Hopefully it will recover.

OOPPS!! - reverse order

R Addiction 11-09-2005 12:54 PM

Damn!!! What a shame :(

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 12:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Few more,

Hilton Marina looking at basin south of pier that goes out to to cruise ships. If you have a reservation here - better have a backup plan !!

Hilton Marina north of pier.

Southernmost Point - open for business!! Nothing is going to move that baby !

R Addiction 11-09-2005 01:01 PM

We'll all be down there next week to pump some revenue into the town to help with repairs!!.... :drink: :drink: :drink:

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 01:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Directly across the street from Southernmost Point

Remains of pier at Southernmost Motel on the Beach - most of it ended up on the street. Same with Atlanyic Shores Pier. Both are open for business. Unbelievable.

Boats washed up on Wisteria Island known locally as Christmas Tree Island. This is across the harbor next to Sunset Key. Stay well clear of this area as there are many sunken vessels of all kinds yet to be recovered.

CAP071 11-09-2005 01:09 PM

What a Mess, What a Shame :eek: :(

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 01:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, this is the last one.

FEMA in Key West

Cape Romano - 3 miles south of Marco Island. Accessable only by boat. This is where they say the eye came ashore when Wilma hit mainland Florida.

The road behind !! Taken 10 miles off North West Cape on the way home.

Final comment - Now you boaters that like the east coast of Florida so much have no idea what you are missing !!! Hope I don't start a firestorm with that comment !! Come on over and try it - you will fall in love again !!
It's been fun - like always,
Bob

wananewboat 11-09-2005 02:32 PM

Great job with the photos. Looks like we won't be getting a table at the Ocean Key House to watch the races. :eek:

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by wananewboat
Great job with the photos. Looks like we won't be getting a table at the Ocean Key House to watch the races. :eek:

Why not ? The narrow pier south of the O/S bar survived.
You just have to figure out how to get there ahead of me !!!
Good luck. Lots more pics but can't post them all.
Bob