Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Going to Key West today. Need anything checked? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/115791-going-key-west-today-need-anything-checked.html)

Bobthebuilder 11-05-2005 07:34 AM

Going to Key West today. Need anything checked?

It is just after 8:00 am I have just decided to head down to Key West in PREDATOR. [ yes, I'm impulsive !! ] This was not a planned trip. - unti now.
The gulf is flat , winds are light out of the NE, not a cloud in the sky, so I have decided to go down and check things out first hand. Straight shot from Marco Island is 100 miles. Leaving at 10:00am be there by noon all being well. Called the Galleon and they have slips with power so that's no problem. I will return to the Island Sunday PM and post a report of my findings that evening. I will be unable to post any pictures until I'm back up north on the 9th. If there are any OSO members that have not been able to get information they need out of Key West let me know and I will see what I can find out while down there. Remember this is a quick trip and will have limited time but will make an effort to find out as much as I can for you. I will somehow access a computer when there so you may post your requests here. If real important call my cell at 519 498 6945 after 1:00 pm EST today.
Bob

GLH 11-05-2005 07:36 AM

Re: Going to Key West today. Need anything checked?

Have fun you lucky stiff!

Shane 11-05-2005 07:59 AM

Havea safe trip. :cool:

Bobthebuilder 11-05-2005 01:51 PM

Ok, made it here in 2hrs, 5min. Not a record time for me but not bad. Best ever was 1 hr 45 min earlier this year. No problems, but seas did build during the crossing. Winds picked up with daytime heating. Seas were flat for 15 miles out, then 2 to 4ft and then 3 to 5ft the last 50 miles. PREDATOR loved it and ate it right up !!
On arrival took pics of destroyed Sunset Pier from waterside but the bar area survived and drinks were being served. There were people on Mallory square and at all of the waterside hotels. Hilton, Ocean Key House, Pier House, Hyatt and Galleon all seem to be operating with damaged areas closed off. The roof of the poolside bar at the Galleon is pretty much gone. I am told that the Hilton Marina is in real bad shape and will be checking that out soon. The Galleon Marina and Key West Bight are in real good shape and everthing seems to be operating normally.
I have rented a scooter so I now have wheels to get around town. Will check out Southernmost end of town as well.
The Parrot heads at in town so I guess I get to party with them tonight.
For those that need internet service when they are in KW there is an Internet Cafe on the second floor of the Waterfront Market a short walk from the Conch Republic.
I will check back in later,
Bob

CAP071 11-05-2005 08:20 PM

Cool let me know I just re-booked 2 weeks tentatively in Feb-March They should be cleaned up by then I hope :drink:

LPBoater 11-06-2005 11:28 AM

Please keep us posted and thanks for doing. Planning to come down for the races - hopefully still a good idea..

LP

JCPERF 11-06-2005 11:33 AM

All i want to know is if Fat Tuesdays is in running capacity :drink: :drink:

Bobthebuilder 11-06-2005 04:23 PM

Note to JCPERF - Not to worry - Fat Tuesday's was rockin last night. As were all the bars on Duval Street.

Note to LPBoater - Make sure you come to KW. They are ready for us and need us. Spend lots of money !! Help them out.

I am having trouble posting. I am new at this and not sure what I am doing wrong. Tried posting a report of my trip and message comes up invalid thread. What is with that ? Can anybody help ?

R Addiction 11-06-2005 06:15 PM

Cap, You're not going to KW next week?!!!! :eek:

CAP071 11-06-2005 06:28 PM

R Addiction Sorry Buddy I canceled :cool: My hotel was trashed I didn't feel like playing games with what was open then some hotels said they did or didn't have rooms. I was told the beach wasn't open. So I just changed the dates. I'm headed down for almost 2 weeks in the early spring, with Emotiondriver. But I leave for Florida for almost 3 weeks soon anyway Orando area.

I have 4 weeks vacation I have to use or loose.