Winterizing 496 or 496HO or 496Mag

Notices

Winterizing 496 or 496HO or 496Mag

Old 11-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: winterising 496

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I made and used this setup on a buddies boat. I have about $10 in the y-valve and hose end adapters as the y- valve has the reverse ends as what is needed ie: male to female, female to male. Close the bucket side of the valve and open the water supply side. Start and run the motor. For non closed cooling motors, run until up to temp to open the t-stat, then let it run a bit more. Then while still running, close the water supply side and open the bucket side. The already suction/flow created while runing on the hose, will now pull antifreeze from the bucket. Peice of cake! The orange is a low water pickup muff I have, but I have the same as Sydwayz, a tee mounted in line in front of the sea water pickup because muffs suck and are not fool proof. I instead hook the y adapter to my hose connectors in the engine compartment. Both use on his boat and mine work the same, flawless.
Nice setup! I recognize that Y-valve. Had to replace one off a tow-behind sprayer. The original one cracked last winter because I didn't drain it properly and it froze over the winter. Picked one up at Lowe's....
Old 11-06-2005, 11:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yzbert
i would not mess with the antifreze, these engines are way to easy to drain.
I would not agree with the above... But the beer drinkin part I agree with whole heartedly.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
Not exactly. You use the valve to introduce 100% water to warm the engine. Then you turn the valve and to 100%antifreeze and let it run.... Theoretically.

On my old 496 HO I didn't want any water to start or during the winterization process. So I used the pump, elimated the water, then introduced 100% antifreeze with the plactic tank pictured above. Any water scares me and leaves me unsure as to whether its all out or not.
I like the idea of draining as much water out as possible and then adding antifreeze. So when you introduce 100% antifreeze, how do you prime the water pump through the earmuffs? Using air pressure like Sydwayz does seems to be a good solution.

BTW, didn't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but I am taking delivery of a new 292 Fastech which has twin 6.2's and want to make sure it is winterized properly. I won't have the any 'T' fitting installed right away so will be doing through muffs...
Old 11-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just don't mix up the beer and antifreeze! Boats don't like beer
Old 11-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by yzbert
open beer,use the pump, pull the blue plugs,drink beer, and repeat. 5 min. maybe total time to do both engines and drink beer. i would not mess with the antifreze, these engines are way to easy to drain.
Good point, but I have heard that the antifreeze also helps with preventing corrosion over those long winter months... Now the beer step goes without saying...
Old 11-06-2005, 11:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
twin 6.2's..
I thought people just took 6.2's out over the winter and set them on the coffee table in the living room??

Just kidding buddy....
Old 11-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We fully winterize the system on both the 496's and 525's. It is just another safety measure just in case part of the Mercury pump system fails in some way. Motors are WAY too expensive to replace for the effort of the additional steps. BTW we pump 6 gallons until the holding tank is near empty.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You will not fully drain the motors by pulling all the blue freeze plugs. There are pockets.

Also, the pump proceedure works with the drain plugs IN, not out. Pump first, till it stops pumping water out, (there are pressure release valves that allow the water to come out), THEN pull the blue plugs... BUT:

I really trust my mechanics, www.offshore-performance.com , and hence I go for the antifreeze. (And yes, I did it myself, they were not drumming up winterization business.)

If you guys want pics of how mine looks with the mods, please ask, and I will get to it tomorrow.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-06-2005 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
I thought people just took 6.2's out over the winter and set them on the coffee table in the living room??

Just kidding buddy....
lol... I know, I know... but hey, this is my first OFFSHORE style boat. You got to start somewhere.

My last boat had engines that didn't need all this TLC. Just run 'em hard and put 'em away wet...
Attached Thumbnails Winterizing 496 or 496HO or 496Mag-boatntrailer.jpg  
Old 11-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
If you guys want pics of how mine looks with the mods, please ask, and I will get to it tomorrow.

Thanks Sydwayz, pics would be great!

BTW, nice Washington DC pics. Boating days like that in the fall are always a nice way to end the season....

Last edited by 4mulafastech; 11-06-2005 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Winterizing 496 or 496HO or 496Mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.