Arneson surface drives (ASD-6) in freshwater >

Arneson surface drives (ASD-6) in freshwater

Notices

Arneson surface drives (ASD-6) in freshwater

Old 11-05-2005, 04:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Arneson surface drives (ASD-6) in freshwater

Does anybody have experience how an ASD-6 handles in freshwater compared to saltwater?

How about speed? Is there any difference and how much?

Boat is a 34 with T-525EFIs

Thanks

heiko
Old 11-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Arneson surface drives (ASD-6) in freshwater

There will not be any noticeable difference between the fresh water and the salt water.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:49 AM
Registered

no, i am not French, I am German and the german Hustler dealer.

Rik I think we met in the Miami boat show. I sold a Cheetah with Arnesons but got concernend as two guys told me that there are a significantly less miles on freshwater...

Any other opinions?

Heiko
Old 11-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no need to worry about Fresh water vs. Salt water. If there is a difference, 99% of the time you nor your customer will notice it.

Regardless of the drive system, the conditions are the same when going from salt to fresh and vice versa.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Note to Licence to Thrill - Not true. Our boats run faster in fresh water. I do about 100 hrs a year in each fresh water [ Great Lakes in summer ] and salt Gulf ] in winter. I run 2 or 3 MPH faster in fresh water. Like you I thought the bouancy thing would make me go faster. It was noticeable enuff that I had asked Trond at Nor Tech about this and he confirmed it for me. Faster in fresh water. Just my experience and just trying to help.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might sound strange, but they will run faster in shallower water. Has something todo with surface effect, like ground effect in a plane.

thats why lake x was always so fast.

CM
Old 11-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reason most people think salt water is faster is because they are running at sea level. if come from a lake tahoe and put your boat in the ocean, you will run alot faster just because the motors have more air! it has nothing to do with the water.
The following users liked this post:
Scribble912 (06-21-2022)
Old 11-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Registered

thanks for all your answers!

We run our boats on fresh water at sea level (or 200ft) and we experienced that the boats(XR-Drives) are always 2-3mls slower than on salt water.

Some you are all right, saying that the Arnesons run only 2mls slower, or even faster!

heiko
Old 11-09-2005, 02:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile Re: Arneson surface drives (ASD-6) in freshwater

Originally Posted by License To Thrill
Ok well that's what I've always heard, and I have NO boat time in the salt so I can't say from experience.
Hey License, Might be time to try the salt water. Actually the only thing better I like about it is the destinations. Some pretty neat places to go to on this Gulf Coast of Florida. After that, lots of downsides to it tho like high maintence costs, corrosion and I could go on. On our fresh water lakes up north there is nothing like pulling into a bay with a sandy beach and going for a swim. The girls like to skinny dip !! At least that is what someone told me. LOL
Old 11-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Arneson surface drives (ASD-6) in freshwater

'COEFFICIENT OF FRICTION" Regartdless of the buoyancy of salt water versus fresh water, salt water has a higher coefficient than fresh water. More friction. Therefore, any planning boat in fresh water will go faster than in salt water regardless of its height above sea level. The hull may have more buopyancy in salt water, but the friction makes up for that. The salt water is like a flat piece of sandpaper versus a smooth piece to slide on. In effect, I think the difference in performance is allmost immeasurable. The best way te test my theory, is to clock a boat at sea level on both salt water, and a fresh water lake, say in Florida. But the temperature, and the barometric pressue have to be the same. Because they also will effect the output of the motors. Maybee MITHBUSTERS on the Discovery channel could prove my opinion. It might make for a good show, and some laughs too.

Quick Reply: Arneson surface drives (ASD-6) in freshwater

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.