Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Speaker Holes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/115956-speaker-holes.html)

Mikey Likes It 11-07-2005 09:43 PM

Speaker Holes

I plan on cutting two holes for a speaker upgrade in a 29 Fountain. The place of the holes will be in the front lower of the cockpit one next to the driver and one next to the passenger. Whats the best way to cut a hole for a speaker. What tools are needed? Any little tips and tricks are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

TxHawk 11-07-2005 09:51 PM

Re: Speaker Holes

1 Attachment(s)
Most come with a template. Mine came with a clear sticker as a template. I drilled a hole on the edge and followed the pattern with a jig jaw to cut mine out. Used a rough plywood blade.

amer3 11-07-2005 10:12 PM

use a rotozip cut better then jig saw and dose not scratch

tomtbone1993 11-07-2005 10:19 PM

why not underneath the rear seat?

glassdave 11-07-2005 10:27 PM

if you go with the Rotozip use a tile blade and let the tool do the cutting. the standard bit dulls very quickly when cuttung fiberglass. i use the Rotozip only in tight quarters and a jigsaw for everything else.

Sydwayz 11-07-2005 11:06 PM

I used a Rotozip-type tool. Several folks make them; as mine is a Ryobi. Go for the tile bit as suggested. Also, make a 3D template of what is the REAR portion of your speaker, as in what portion of the housing and magnet are going to portrude behind the fiberglass into the void. I made this rough dimension 3D template out of a block of wood. I crawled up to exactly behind where I was going to install my speakers, and slid the 3D template around a few inches in each direction to make sure nothing conflicted.

Wear eye protection, as the RotoZip bits snap often for no fricking reason. Also, get your shop vacuum out and have it running right below where you are cutting, WHILE you are cutting, and cut down on dust and mess.

If you are trying to hear these speakers while you are at speed on plane; forget it. I had two speakers down there on my 37 Active Thunder, and could not hear them for anything. I added two more (co-axial) speakers up much higher; up in the gunwales.

Comanche3Six 11-08-2005 05:32 PM

Holesaw

Audiofn 11-08-2005 05:54 PM

Put masking tape down all around were you plan to cut. Then you can draw it out on the tape. Brians suggestion of MAKE SURE you have the room behide is a good one. I use a saw except for the tight spots. Are you going to have to cut througt vynale or are you in glass only?

Jon

US1 Fountain 11-08-2005 08:38 PM

I used a jig saw when mounting mine in the same place. But I used a fine pitched blade to keep from chipping the FG any more than necessary. There's like 10" behind there. Be careful on the passengers side, fuel lines back there.

JPD Motorsports 11-08-2005 09:01 PM

use a holesaw the size needed masking tape off the area that you are cutting thru check for clearance behind where cutting, run the drill in reverse till you get cut thru the glass a little bit the go forward with nice even preassure on it to keep dust down run a shop vac as you cut.