Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is the fastest single engine Offshore V Hull >

What is the fastest single engine Offshore V Hull

Notices

What is the fastest single engine Offshore V Hull

Old 03-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

When we were looking into this question, we kept hearing about the Ausi ski racers. 21ft vee with a Merc 1075 and a #6 running 135mph. I believe that would be without skier. And than apparently someone there with 1500hp and a PSI blower ran 145mph.
This is more incredible because of the small size of boat, which I would view as a disadvantage.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TUFFboat
When we were looking into this question, we kept hearing about the Ausi ski racers. 21ft vee with a Merc 1075 and a #6 running 135mph. I believe that would be without skier. And than apparently someone there with 1500hp and a PSI blower ran 145mph.
This is more incredible because of the small size of boat, which I would view as a disadvantage.
The howard doesn't fit the thread title in a couple of ways it isnt really an "offshore hull" its a fantastic boat but not an offshore boat.

Neither are the big TT Schiadas though and there are some "stoopid" fast turbo Schiadas here on the west coast. If youve ever watched a 22-24 ft schiada pull a skiier to Catalina youd be amazed.

As for the australian speed skier boats
Ive seen these and actually more than a few are 1400+ HP Twin turbos pushing #6's but more often v drives.
Nothing Id want out on 5 footers though.

Uncle Dave
Old 03-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It used to be the Howard Custom boats "bullet"

http://www.howardboats.com/boat_spec...28_bullet.html

oh never mind.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Registered

The howard doesn't fit the thread title in a couple of ways it isnt really an "offshore hull" its a fantastic boat but not an offshore boat.

Neither are the big TT Schiadas though and there are some "stoopid" fast turbo Schiadas here on the west coast. If youve ever watched a 22-24 ft schiada pull a skiier to Catalina youd be amazed.
OK, good point. So when does a boat become an 'Offshore'? There must be a seemless blend of boats manufactured from 'no compromise rough water', through to 'no compromise calm water speed' and all the family stuff in-between, all around 28ft.
In my opinion, I acknowledge every boat on its own for what it does well and accept what is traded off to get there. All that matters is, what boat will do the job the individual needs it to, in there environment.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Registered

OK, good point. So when does a boat become an 'Offshore'? There must be a seemless blend of boats manufactured from 'no compromise rough water', through to 'no compromise calm water speed' and all the family stuff in-between, all around 28ft.
In my opinion, I acknowledge every boat on its own for what it does well and accept what is traded off to get there. All that matters is, what boat will do the job the individual needs it to, in there environment.
Agreed.

This very point has been discussed at length and is a multifaceted beast.

There are no hard and fast rules here only rules of thumb.

There are very few guys on this website with boats I would personally consider "offshore" simply because Im not comfortable going truly "offshore" without radar and a full nav system.

Uncle Dave
Old 03-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Registered

I just realized the extent of the differences we are talking about.
There you who like to go out and not see anything but water and then there is me who always has land is sight, sometimes real close.
With such differences our needs and desires are worlds apart.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Registered

My requirements are sustained operability in not only ocean waves and directional currents but absolute situational awareness in zero visibility for 100% of a given trip if need be.

I need to be able to hit a 100 yard wide seawall 30 -150 miles away and navigate around the traffic of some of the busiest ports in the world with impunity with zero visibility.

For sustained offshore navigating a 24 degree v is a compromise most very fast lake boats don't make because they arent chosen for this duty.

Its also nice to be able to haul A$$.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails What is the fastest single engine Offshore V Hull-dsc06318.jpg   What is the fastest single engine Offshore V Hull-ramp.jpg  
Old 03-13-2011, 03:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Actually they do hit these speeds on the straight aways with skiers be hind the boat. I have a friend Steve in Austrailia and his two boys have
been doing this since they were 5. Steve runs the boat,..boys are both
mid 20's now and crazy!!

Boat is a rocket ship!................these races are 45 minutes long on average too

Jon