Need a Hydrologist's Opinion...

Notices

Need a Hydrologist's Opinion...

Old 11-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Need a Hydrologist's Opinion...

Hi

Our condo assoc is having a problem with the Saint Joseph River and low Lake Michigan water levels. Our condo assoc is on the Saint Joseph River about a mile or two in from the lake. Now that the water is down, we can see significant shoaling. The shoaling starts at one of the owner's floating jet ski docks. Not before his floating docks, but only downstream.

The condo board, me being the president of it, wants to force the jet ski floating dock owner to remove them, but he does not want to.

I am of the opinion that a floating jet ski dock, that maybe draws 6-12" can't cause this kind of problem, being that they float and water can go under them. But the evidence is compelling. I just want to do the right thing

Before we authorize any kind of action, does someone know a Hydrologist that can at least provide an opinion of this? What's your thoughts?

I'll attach a couple of pix to illustrate the issue. What the pix don't show is that at least 15 slips downstream of the jet ski dock are severely shoaled and will most likeley have to be dredged, or this Lake needs to have gazzilions of gallons of water added to bring the level up at least 2 feet. Hope for a very bad winter?

Thanks!
Fred
Attached Thumbnails Need a Hydrologist's Opinion...-smalldsc02074.jpg   Need a Hydrologist's Opinion...-smalldsc02075.jpg   Need a Hydrologist's Opinion...-smalldsc02077.jpg  

Old 11-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: Need a Hydrologist's Opinion...

Call THE KING CO. out of Holland Mich. they should be able to help you. They have been around for ever, or try V&T out of Grand Haven or DK Constr. out of Holland.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Registered

Holland is closest. Would The King Company be King's Foundations? I can't find "The King Company" in Holland.
I'll look for the others as well. I'm using Excite yellow pages.
Can't find DK either.
And I'm coming empty on V&T.

If anybody has phone book for Holland or Grand Haven, I'd appreciate you looking it up. I tried construction, engineers, and the business names themselves in Excite. I am challenged.

Last edited by waybomb; 11-19-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do the condo declarations state re: docks, boats jetski's, etc?

I'll assume nothing?? otherwise this would be handled.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Registered

The bylaws say nothing of docks, lifts, etc. But there is a clause covering issues caused by owners, which this may or may not be. We have our lawyer reviewing the bylaws to give us guidance on what to do next, but I don't want to do anything if this isn't caused by the docks.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

V&T's # is 1-616-846-9060, DK which is Dean King is 1-616-494-0970, and THE KING CO. is 1-616-399-1784. Good luck, Steve.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Registered

Thanks!!!!
I called them all a while ago; as suspected, nobody is at work today. I'll call Monday.

Last edited by waybomb; 11-19-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem with a creek that runs into the lake by my dock. The sediment is filling up the cove over a matter of 10yrs. Basicly dock there or not you are going to get buildup.
You could have a storm drain pouring into the river right upstream on the same side and when the rush of water slows down enough the sediment starts to sink to the bottom. The jet ski dock could be slowing the water down to drop the sediment right where it is but my guess is that without it there you would have sediment buildup 10-50ft further down stream along with the whole area. Basicly my guess is that with the jetski dock there it is slowing down progress of the whole side of the river there becoming a sandbar, in a matter of 20yrs.
Make sure you get an experts to look at it such as your local state will have a dept that specializes in storm/runoff water management. Im not a expert, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Registered

After a bunch of phone calls, In was referred to Abonmarche - a local engineering outfit. Somebody will be by before Monday and let me know what he thinks is going on.
Thanks!!