Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Barge Hard Aground on Lake Michigan (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/116746-barge-hard-aground-lake-michigan.html)

MitchStellin 11-19-2005 11:51 AM

Barge Hard Aground on Lake Michigan

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics, he was heading to WI when he tried to duck in because of weather, his load did not track him and two of these hit the pier and broke free. One went on the rocks in the channel, that was was gone today, the other is in -0- water on shore with waves up to 13 ft in deep water pushing this farther up. I hope to see them pull this monster off, I bet they push it also with a front loader or something.

MitchStellin 11-19-2005 11:53 AM

Re: Barge Hard Aground on Lake Michigan

2 Attachment(s)
more.

MitchStellin 11-19-2005 11:57 AM

Looks like about 100ft long by 30ft wide. At $100 a sq ft (which is cheap) that would be over $300,000. That seems like way too much but I don't know anything about this type of thing, I think $30,000 is about right but it is winter here and it is not easy to find boats in the water so that may add to the cost.

Strip Poker 388 11-19-2005 12:01 PM

Mitch it looks like the ocean there with the beach,Didnt know it looked like that on the lake there?

Rob

Downtown42 11-19-2005 12:09 PM

That thing is planted, maybe some Dodge Cummins would do the trick :evilb:

Rob, east shore is all sand and they cater your ass in MI...west shore WI is all rocks :( MI is where it's at.

open87 11-19-2005 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pic from down south miss from the cane , how they gonna move these 2 gems is beyond me....

MitchStellin 11-19-2005 12:47 PM

Hey Rob, the lake does look like the ocean, depending on the wind direction it can be as clear also. It is all sand on the East side of lake MI, it gets rocky North of hear but that is over 100 miles away. The best part is it is freash water. :D I have no idea how they will get that one out down south, that is a real big deal, they may cut it up for scrap. This one can be moved but it will take a few tugs, a few front loaders and some strong cable. Come on up some time Rob, bring the boat and see the beauty of Lake MI.

Magic Medicine 11-19-2005 01:05 PM

Rob,

Lake Michigan is full of beatiful sandy beaches, sand dunes and warmer water on the southern part of the lake. The waterwas even really warm in the northern part of the lake this summer.

yzbert 11-19-2005 01:11 PM

there were two frieghters that sought refuge in little traverse bay monday night, did not leave until noon on thursday. You never see that, man has that lake been rough this fall.

Strip Poker 388 11-19-2005 02:24 PM

Sounds like a cool place to be . What about water temp. We get in out lake from May to Oct.Its not clear either :eek:

We use to go the the coast some But thats tore up now.

I wonder what the cable is hooked up to in Open72 pick :eek:

Rob