Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outboard Brackets and Jack plates (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/116894-outboard-brackets-jack-plates.html)

Enforcer2 11-21-2005 05:43 PM

Outboard Brackets and Jack plates

Recently bought a 37 Midnight Express with triple optimaxes. The bracket was originally built for quads and is in excellent shape. It however is only 24 inches deep and I can't trim the engines all the way out of the water while moored.

I was aslo told I may see better performance with cleaner water.

I am purchasing jack plates and wanted some feedback on what set back I should go with. (6,8,10 or12)

The engines are mounted high and I am going with 4 blade bravo ones.

Any suggestions?

frequentflyer 11-21-2005 06:14 PM

Re: Outboard Brackets and Jack plates

Talk to Stainless Marine. They build a one piece that is awesome. I first saw it on a "Deep Impact" with tripple 300X's at the Miami boat show. Definitely the way to go. They can do the math for you on the setback too. I have a 6" setback on my 300's on my 25 but I forget the setback on my bracket. Made about a 2 mph improvement on my boat because I am running Choppers and am able to get them out of the water a little more while still keeping my bow up. Can't go up all the way though because then it drops the bow. Work with a reputable company (Like Stainless Marine) that is willing to work with you on the setup.

Good luck...

tooslow 11-21-2005 06:30 PM

A member on here recommended i go with the "porta jack". He raced the "spolied banana" and had a v-8 johnson hanging of of one.so they must be tough.his name on here is Mrv8outboard. I think maybe even "airdog " might of had one on his v-8 banana. hopefully one of them will reply. I think porta -jack has a website too

Enforcer2 11-21-2005 06:39 PM

Thanks for the info.

Catagory5 11-21-2005 06:47 PM

I'm also partial to Stainless Marine especially for your application.

Enforcer2 11-21-2005 07:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Picts of my midnight :D :D :D

fruitta55 11-22-2005 09:11 AM

Yes Airdog bought the "Spoiled Banana" from Mrv8outboard. And yes he used a Portajack on his other Banana with a V8 as well. Porta doae have a website www.portaproducts.com

Their prices look steep but I think once you do the math of adding up all the jackplates and a bracket there are pretty competitive. Plus you get more travel out of there setup. Hope it helps.

Enforcer2 11-22-2005 09:59 PM

The Midnight is an 1987 with 1999 Engines bought new in 2001 with upgrades and 6 year warranties. Boat usedto be an ex-smuggler, it had quad 200's. Bought it from a guy in New Jersey who has owned it for 15 years. The entire package is awesome, I couldn't be happier ( well maybe with one more engine I'll be a little happier) :cool:

Jigsaw89 11-23-2005 12:07 AM

Nice looking Midnight Express!

Is it just me or do all center console boats look better with a T-Top or powder coated Radar Arch (as commonly seen on Concept CC's)?

Mirage 36 11-23-2005 01:17 PM

Awesome looking rig!

Put jackplates on your existing bracket should work well IMO.
I put a 24" bracket on mine and have the same problem. Thought about the jack plates but would have to re-rig the untire setup due to cables & wiring being too short to push engines back anymore. I'm going to wait until I'm ready to repower and just get a 36" bracket & hyd jackplates.
I have a B Bracket works well except for leaky access plates.